advertisement

Tannoy Cheviot...HPD 315A...what's the scoop...

neiljadman

I have a chance at a pair of these at a very good price (I think). I suspect they could be a good match for my 8 watt 300b monoblocks...

I know they rare `2" dual concentric - but are they the gold series?

Does any one have any experience of these?

All comments much appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Neil

The HPD was the next series after the gold. As far as I'm aware they use the exact same basket, alnico magnet and compression driver plus have a very similar crossover with the level and roll-off controls. The difference is in the bass cone, which is heavier, has rear strengthening struts, and most significantly a foam surround. It is this latter aspect that has given them a bit of a bad press as it perishes after about 10-15 years. It is replaceable, in fact I believe it's even possible to recone HPDs as Golds, though that would be far more expensive than simply replacing the surrounds. Reading the Yahoo Tannoy Group (well worth joining) there seems no real preference for any of the classic Tannoys, e.g. Silvers, Reds, Golds, HPDs, they are all well liked and each has it's fans. The 70s cabinets are not the best though. The advantage of HPDs is they tend to be a good bit cheaper than the earlier models due to the (repairable) cone surround issues.

Tony.

Yep what the man sez. I have heard some say the hpd has slightly heavier bass due to compliant foam surround(not better bass) don`t know about that as I aint compared the two units in the very same cab.

Still very good the Cheviot and there is the option if you are handy to try and get the cones trade and fit yourself.......etimate £200. Tannoy or Roger will be £300 ? If the budget is tight the foams alone can be done for not much. Some have done it and are happy while others say no. My hpd foams lasted 16 yrs. Tannoy done them for £400 last year.......new spider too. (15")

Only saying all this as I don`t think there will be many Cheviots with original good surrounds left now. Even the best examples will be soft. Soft ones can be doped a bit by Tannoy on the outside but it is to me a short term thing.

Keep away from rads and sunlight and it will put a few more years on to surrounds.

Maybe someone can explain why the Girdacoustic petals were added to Hpd when they were not on Golds?........yeah the technical reason as to why breakup needed to be corrected. Was it purely to cope with the higher power handling? No petals on 10" HPD.

HPD 315's sound fanatastic, I wouldn't be swapping them for Golds.

Bear in mind also that the crossover/level control/wiring is much simpler and neater than the Gold arrangement.

When doing Tannoy fomas make sure you use the genuine article, not a universal part, and apply the damping compound.

HPD 315's sound fanatastic, I wouldn't be swapping them for Golds.

Bear in mind also that the crossover/level control/wiring is much simpler and neater than the Gold arrangement.

When doing Tannoy fomas make sure you use the genuine article, not a universal part, and apply the damping compound.

Gold and HPD schematics.
3969442486_74a7be5b55_b.jpg

3968669945_d409c447a6_o.jpg

Thanks all - talked with the seller last night, apparently the Xovers and drivers were all rebuilt about 3-4 years ago - though the cabs are at best a 7. I'm going to pick 'em up tomorrow. New cabinets may be a long term proposition though...

I'll post picx as soon as I can.

The circuits may be similar but the implementation is quite different.

Forgive me if I am being a bit thick but can you explain that?
Other than the energy/level switching unit being on a flying lead and not built into the xover unit-which some may say is a better arrangement.

I'm sure you know that the HPD incorporates the level controls with the crossover assembly, whereas the earlier designs they are on a separate panel, with attendant wiring loom.

I'm sure you know that the HPD incorporates the level controls with the crossover assembly, whereas the earlier designs they are on a separate panel, with attendant wiring loom.

Surely that just makes them easier to bypass on Golds, should you wish to?

Tony.

(who may... someday)

Well, I picked them up last night. I'll post some pics later and ...well, it's going to be a fun weekend...

advertisement

Back