advertisement

Tannoy Black 12" Dual Concentric

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=121383713879
Noticed these for sale on eBay and just wondered if anybody had any experience of them, and if they are worth the £3k asking price - the sale is nothing to do with me.

I am old enough to have heard the early Tannoy Dual Concentrics when they first came on the market but have no particular recollection of having done so. I bought my first Tannoy in 1955, by which time the production finish had changed from the black crackle to a silver hammertone.

Now, I appreciate that mental accuity and other cerebral undertakings have deteriorated as a function of my advancing age but I am sure that what (incorrectly) has become known as the "Black" model was manufactured only in 15" diameter; the "Twelve" as it was known, not being introduced until the silver finish was adopted in, I think, 1954. As a consequence, I should be very careful about establishing the provenance of this particular driver which sports an HF cover unrecognised by me. A curiously high number of these in recent years have been offered for sale by Chinese vendors.

In any event, unless some fanatical collector is silly enough to pay three grand for this driver, the short answer is it is not worth the money. If one actually wanted to listen to it rather than lock it in the vault with the Modiglianis, Van Goghs or first edition portfolio Shakespeares in the expectation that the market value will appreciate, then the monetary value is but a small fraction of this lunatic price. :rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am old enough to have heard the early Tannoy Dual Concentrics when they first came on the market but have no particular recollection of having done so. I bought my first Tannoy in 1955, by which time the production finish had changed from the black crackle to a silver hammertone.

Now, I appreciate that mental accuity and other cerebral undertakings have deteriorated as a function of my advancing age but I am sure that what (incorrectly) has become known as the "Black" model was manufactured only in 15" diameter; the "Twelve" as it was known, not being introduced until the silver finish was adopted in, I think, 1954. As a consequence, I should be very careful about establishing the provenance of this particular driver which sports an HF cover unrecognised by me. A curiously high number of these in recent years have been offered for sale by Chinese vendors.

In any event, unless some fanatical collector is silly enough to pay three grand for this driver, the short answer is it is not worth the money. If one actually wanted to listen to it rather than lock it in the vault with the Modiglianis, Van Goghs or first edition portfolio Shakespeares in the expectation that the market value will appreciate, then the monetary value is but a small fraction of this lunatic price. :rolleyes:

HooRay!!

There was 12" version of the 'black'. I know this for sure as I have owned one, bought from an ex-Tannoy engineer. I didn't keep it long as I didn't fancy my chances of finding a partner for it, though I guess it was nice to briefly own such a rare item.

There was 12" version of the 'black'. I know this for sure as I have owned one, bought from an ex-Tannoy engineer. I didn't keep it long as I didn't fancy my chances of finding a partner for it, though I guess it was nice to briefly own such a rare item.

Well, I did say that the old memory was not quite what it used to be!

There were two types of basket in the early days. The "Series II" was of the now-familiar style and adopted for all subsequent models up to and including the HPD. The "Series I" was very different, having a cast spider-like frame much the same as that employed by contemporaries like Stentorian, Baker and Hartley and I suspect that it was this open frame that was manufactured only as a 15" variant, the 12" coming later, had the enclosed type basket.

But perhaps someone will prove me wrong. Again!:p

:)

Yeah you're right Richard, mine had a similar type of chassis/basket as the silver et al, but in a matt black. Pretty sure it had the same gloss finish magnet cover like the one in the ebay advert - I have some pics of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find them tonight. I think I recall seeing (on ebay) one or two really early 15" Tannoys that I guess would be the series I's you mention.
I think I also saw a 12" black (or one described as) on ebay a few years ago that amost looked like it had a pressed steel basket, but I may be mis-remembering.

This was all during a period of time when I became a bit obsessed with trying out as many Tannoy models as I could find, and when they were generally quite a bit cheaper than they are now! All gone now sadly.

Interesting. According to Hans Hilberink site, there were no 12 inch Blacks. I too have owned most of the DC's over many years, including a single 15 inch Black but have never seen a 12 inch version.

I used to be a member of the Yahoo Tannoy group that Hans set up. If I recall correctly it was mentioned on more than one occasion that this info on the black was inaccurate, but the potted history of models wasn't actually written by Hans I don't think.

I'll look out my photos this evening and if I can find them I'll put one or two on photobucket and post a link to them.

Here you go, pretty similar to that unit on ebay really:

2003_1204_040754aa_zpsd3b301d6.jpg

2003_1204_040647AA_zps27969684.jpg

2003_1220_055815aa_zpsb93921f9.jpg

Even the throat of the HF horn is black on mine! The crossover looks a little different too to the ebay one.

advertisement

Back