advertisement

Tannoy BERKELEY 30 years on.

flyfisher

pfm Member
I recently bought a pair of Tannoy Berkeley speakers on ebay. I decided to take a punt, having read so many good thinks about larger Tannoys on PFM.

The vendor played then for me when I collected them, and at that point I wondered what I had bought, they did not sound very good. I put that down to his set up and that they were perched on top of another pair of Tannoys at the time.

Having got them home, all 40kgs a piece, I gave Lockwood Audio a call, to see what the options were. Roger was most helpful and said that if took every out and sent it him, he would check over the drivers and crossovers FOC.

Having sent the drivers, crossovers and panel for the speaker binding posts off, I could now work on improving the condition of the cabinets.

Roger came back and told me what I sort of already guessed; the drivers had been re foamed, quite well but with the wrong materials! The HPS 385 drivers after 30 years needed re coning, and I asked to have more modern speaker binding posts fitted to take my spade terminals on my speaker cables, and some new internal speaker cable between the binding post panel and the crossovers.

Roger suggested that I remove the old plinth under the speakers and also get some stands to get the Berkeleys off the floor, suggested 12-15ins should be about the right height.

Now having got the re coned drivers back from Lockwood Audio, and the stands built, I then put the Tannoys in place.

First impressions were a significant improvement, but now some two weeks plus later and with a more than a few hours on the re built drivers, I have to say that I am amazed at what a 30 year old pair of speakers can do. Inside the cabinet there is a date stamp 31 October 1997.

They seem to have a depth of sound, a scale that I have not had before from any of the previous speakers that I have ever owned, and I can now see why some people are quite so passionate about them.

My only thoughts are if the crossovers are also 30 years old, surely there must be scope for replacing the caps and any other modifications which would further improve the sound.

Have any other vintage Tannoy owners had work done on the crossovers and how effective was it and was it worth it.

If the crossovers are anything like those fitted to my LGMs or Chesters you should find that most if not all of the caps are plastic film. If so, replacement isn't necessary as they don't go off like electrolytics.

Post a photo of the crossover network if you can.

On a more general point, your findings mirror my own - that people have been using progressively worse speakers in their homes over the last 30 years.
Drivers and enclosures have generally been shrinking over the years and musical dynamics and scale have followed a similar as a result.

If the crossovers are anything like those fitted to my LGMs or Chesters you should find that most if not all of the caps are plastic film. If so, replacement isn't necessary as they don't go off like electrolytics.

Post a photo of the crossover network if you can.

On a more general point, your findings mirror my own - that people have been using progressively worse speakers in their homes over the last 30 years.
Drivers and enclosures have generally been shrinking over the years and musical dynamics and scale have followed a similar as a result.

I will see if I can get the crossover out and photographed by the end of the week.

The other bonus of these speakers is that you can have them right up against the back wall.

They work with all sorts of music too.

The stands I made were 30m Iroco hardwood plinths top and bottom with 4 Atacama SL 300 tubes as the supports for each stand, they look fantastic.

Just wish I had got there years ago!

My experience with big Tannoys reflects what both you and Robert have found.

Yes the sound may be a little coloured however I don`t really notice this What I do notice is the room filling sound and fantastic scale they give.

Having been to other peoples homes to listen to kit usually modern small plan area speakers both standmount and floor standing, yes these speakers do detail, but the scale is just not there.

I will never change my Tannoys, other kit may come and go but the Tannoys will always stay put.

The thing is, seventies Tannoys (yes, even the HPD series), have the potential to sound tons better today on modern equipment. Sources are cleaner and clearer than ever and solid state amps offer far better sound quality than many amps back then (and that's before we've looked at valves.......).

I think the shallow boxes may need a re-think internally to improve rigidity a little (I saw some Yorks significantly re-done to advantage on the net somewhere) and 12" HPD's often sound a touch better with the tweeter level backed off to -1 (not sure if this applies to the 15" versions) and the slightly peaky tweeter quality definitely favours Quad style ss power amps or sweet valves.

I'm deeply envious. Enjoy those Berkeleys with a passion. You may just find that you won't need ever more expensive anciliaries to strive for a non-existant "holy grail" from now on.

P.S. Lockwood don't recommend "just" re-foaming the drivers. They'd rather re-cone and completely re-setup the drivers from scratch. You pays your money and takes your choice depending on what you can afford I suppose, but the latter will ensure properly re-built drivers. The HPD cabinets look better than the popular previous ones and because the HPD's don't yet have the cachet of the earlier drivers, they're still affordable (Berkeleys for the cost of IIILZ's unless I'm mistaken).

Bloody wonderful. I'm glad you're enjoying your Berkeley's now and I'm sure you are going to get even more out of them as you tinker around.

I've always had a healthy respect for Tannoy and regularly hear (on a naff system) a pair of 12 inch Cheviots and they do things that few megabuck modern speakers even attempt. This year I have been playing around with modern Prestige Tannoy speakers and they are absolutely wonderful, making most other speakers sound small and squeaky in comparison. I also have some vintage Tannoy's which sound pretty good whilst they await a bit of TLC.

I guess it just confirms that in the world of Hi-Fi we have gone backwards over the last 40 years or so. Just put together a system with Garrard 301, Decca arm and cart, Quad, Leak or Radford tube amps and a pair of vintage Tannoy and you have a system which betters (most) modern gear by a huge margin.:)

I guess it just confirms that in the world of Hi-Fi we have gone backwards over the last 40 years or so. Just put together a system with Garrard 301, Decca arm and cart, Quad, Leak or Radford tube amps and a pair of vintage Tannoy and you have a system which betters (most) modern gear by a huge margin.:)

Hey Dave, bring it up to date with a Spacedeck plus arm and cartridge to taste (oh all right, a Denon 103 - grrrr!), E.A.R. or new Crofty valve amps (when they arrive) and any big Tannoy you like and you'll have a NEW system that builds and improves on the wonderful old stuff you've mentioned.

I recently heard some beautifully refurbished straight sided GRF's with 15" Golds in them. What a fine pair of speakers they were. More satisfying in many ways than any of the newer Tannoys I've heard including WR's. Certainly an excellent buy for someone at the £4K they went for (particularly in view of what £4K buys as a new speaker) They'll certainly not depreciate in value either. I'd definitely like to hear some of the corner GRF's or indeed Autographs at some point.

Ok, can I have a bit of advice please from the experts.

Just how close should the Berkeleys be to the rear wall. I don't have a lot of choice with regards to the side walls.

an A30 at Big Ears Audio down near Penzance. I've never seen so much old Tannoy stuff; drivers, cabinets and loads of other interesting bits & pieces all in one place!

Ok, can I have a bit of advice please from the experts.

Just how close should the Berkeleys be to the rear wall. I don't have a lot of choice with regards to the side walls.

Apologies for late reply.

This series of Tannoys had broad but fairly shallow cabs and I suspect most were used fairly close (within a hands breadth) to a back wall. Tannoys won't boom unless you're really unlucky, so just plonk 'em down and enjoy them. I don't even think they particularly need to face you either, the smoothest results being with them firing straight ahead and you being 30 degrees off axis as I remember...

Lots of Berkeleys but no 'Ard-ons.. They were monsters even then!

Hi Peeps,

I'm also a proud owner of a pair of Berkeleys. But at times, it can be a love-hate relationship. Sometimes I'm bedazzeled at the warmth, clarity and detail they deliver, but other times I get really Irritated. For example, I was listening Tori Amos Boys for Pele CD, and I kept hearing her step on the peddel of the piano, which is a real nuisance. Some MP3's sound great and others terrible, which all have a bitrate of 320 (still waiting for my new hi-fi soundcard with rca jacks, burr-brown and replacable Opamps, hoping that'll make a difference).
Can it be, that they are too good? That they reveal the faults of the source material, or aren't they that versatile?

My setup is (everything refurbished):
Tannoy Berkelys on customs stands
Pioneer M90, C90 amplifiers and PD-71 CD player

The guy that did my Berkeleys said that it would be a good idea to turn the drive unit 180 degrees every 6 months to a year, due to the weight, to prevent them from sagging. Is there anything to this?

No, but tell us anyway...:p

lol!!

Jim supplied it as well.

Tannoy 12" Silver Dual Concentrics (15 Ohm) in corner enclosures, Thorens TD124 II, Ortofon RS212 arm, Ortofon SL15E +matching transformer. Rogers Master pre amp, Rogers Master Power Amp (EL34, with Radford transformers), Rogers Ravensbourne tuner. All this (except speakers!) was in a custom made cabinet (Jim arranged this too).

I inherited it all. It is all still here except for the Tannoys. It was (is) a fantastic system, I sold the Tannoys and got later Golds, were not as good.

Bloody wonderful. I'm glad you're enjoying your Berkeley's now and I'm sure you are going to get even more out of them as you tinker around.

I've always had a healthy respect for Tannoy and regularly hear (on a naff system) a pair of 12 inch Cheviots and they do things that few megabuck modern speakers even attempt. This year I have been playing around with modern Prestige Tannoy speakers and they are absolutely wonderful, making most other speakers sound small and squeaky in comparison. I also have some vintage Tannoy's which sound pretty good whilst they await a bit of TLC.

Can you tell your feelings regarding the new Prestige speakers against the old models? I have heard a couple of comments from people.

This is an old old thread.

AFAIK Flyfisher don`t have the Berkely now. I seem to remember he was having Bass issues on certain cds due to the room he had. Badly equalised modern Cd `s will do that on a 15" Tannoy. If it`s there the speaker will show it and reasonant rooms (usually smallish)with no treatment don`t handle it.

Hi,

I bought a pair of Tannoy Berkley speakers back in 1977 for £350 and have used them ever since. I now notice that the rubber dope area around the perimeter of the speaker cone is tacky, bubbled and probably perished. Worse still is that the paper cones have split circumferentially and to a certain extent radially as well at the perimeter.

I have made some preliminary investigations and found a company in north London that will change the cones for £175 per speaker which is more than I paid for the original speakers.

Is there an affordable source of new old stock for these speakers or an affordable upgrade kit ?

Regards

Kenny

advertisement

Back