advertisement

Tallis Scholars early Gimmel- lovely singing but poor recordings?

Ok ...early analogue Gimmel is better in my ears...thanks for your recomendation. I do like the early English composers though and English choirs. The Germans in Voce doing the Ave Verum are exciting. Your Orgarnum piece is much more enclosed type of music and of differrent theological intent, I have some Ockegheim and Josquin and lots of David Munrow ...I like early music but prefer the less ecclesiastical pieces

I like Monteverdi a lot; as far my favourites performers were from Italy, France and Spain.
Nowadays I discovered The King's Consort on Hyperion records.
On SACD - fantastic sound quality; and lovely performance. So, now, Monteverdi and England: OK :)

Monterverdi Vespers was the first double LP I bought
He and Gabrieli had the Polyphonic choirs thing down up, real analogue stereo in ambient spaces..Music composed for certain spaces...woah

they brought polyphonics to me

Last edited:
I hooked via Savall's Vespro.
They went from Spain to Santa Barbara church in Mantua to record it - just because the first Vespro performed there. (maybe)
They had a pair of omnidirectional microphones only - I count this SACD as one of the best sq record what I've ever listened on my set.

71S+QCiJQnL._SX450_.jpg

When you listen that Gimmel disc just after this AliaVox - you will hear a significant difference in sound quality.
'In selected theatres only', of course.
Means, that theoretically, there can be a hifi set, somewhere, where Gimmel preferred; I don't know really.

looks interesting I will eventually search for a streaming link...I don't do that except utube

advertisement

Back