advertisement

Talking Heads 24/96 Releases

tonerei

pfm Member
Have RIL and it is really different to the normal versions. It took me awhile to get it as it is a totally different mix. Ultimately much better quality than the 16/44 but missing some of the sharp edges and some of Eno's electronic dirge bits. I see some posts on CA forum and elsewhere suggesting that some of the other albums are very poor on HDTracks. Has anybody got any of them? Just curious what people think. Not keen on shelling out for dodgy remixs.

Hoping HDtracks sorted whatever issue existed.

I can't say anything about any download versions, but the Talking Heads albums were released on CD/DVD-A a few years ago and the audio on the DVD-A is 24/96, so it might be better and/ or cheaper to buy the CD/DVD-A versions and rip the DVD-A content if you want playback from a streamer, or if not, just pop it in your player :)

I think the HDtracks version is just the front channels of a surround mix. Bought it and was very disappointed.

If I remember correctly, the RIL I got from HDTracks looked like a resampling from SACD. Will have another look later today to remind myself.

[Edit: I stand corrected. It was another TH album that was a SACD resample, and HDTracks actually refunded me the price, so I deleted it. RIL looks like a mixed bag - some tracks better than others. Just out of curiosity, tonerei, do you find differences in sound quality between the tracks, and if so, which ones stick out as better and which as worse?]

The hi-rez stereo from the DVD-As is quite compressed mastering wise. The surround mixes are a lot better. Think they may be out of print as well now. There's still one I'm after.

I can't say anything about any download versions, but the Talking Heads albums were released on CD/DVD-A a few years ago and the audio on the DVD-A is 24/96, so it might be better and/ or cheaper to buy the CD/DVD-A versions and rip the DVD-A content if you want playback from a streamer, or if not, just pop it in your player :)

Ah Ok I have them! So need to find a way to rip them I always believed they were 5:1 mixes but if it is possible to rip them in two channel that is worth exploring. To quote Julf I would believe they will be a mixed bag. My understanding is Jerry Harrison did the remix with some reviewing by David Byrne. Hence I believe they will all be like RIL. Really completely different mixes. Which is disappointing I just want the originals ok cleaned up if necessary but better quality.

RIL looks like a mixed bag - some tracks better than others. Just out of curiosity, tonerei, do you find differences in sound quality between the tracks, and if so, which ones stick out as better and which as worse?]

Have listened to it about 3 times all the way through. Crosseyed and Painless, Houses in Motion, Seen but Not Seen and Listening Wind and even The Great Curve are all ultimately great remixes with clearer vocals and instruments/sounds that are easier to place. Same logic I suppose can be compared to the other tracks. To be fair the rereleased CD's with extra tracks are much better than the crap originally released.

It is hard to specifically answer your question. My favourite band from childhood to this day I have played the stuff to death. Hence as stated above I want 24/96 of the original but the RIL 24/96 I am starting to find addictive.
With regards to which ones stand out as better/worse elements of all them fit that category. The Great Curve chanting vocals in some sections are too low in the 24/96. Guitar while clearer lacks Belews manic roar and that can be applied to sections of Listening Wind/Houses in Motion(some of the bits on those tracks are synths) His vocals are easier to understand and his voice is clearer but the manic elements are gone. Maybe that is a good thing:)

I think most of the problem is down to the fact they are badly broken up so no joined up thinking when doing stuff like this. Another really annoying example is the re-released expanded TNOTBITH. For fxxks sake leave out the Belew intro to Crosseyed and Painless because they ran out of space.:mad:

Really completely different mixes. Which is disappointing I just want the originals ok cleaned up if necessary but better quality.

Indeed. The different mixes makes it hard to compare, but I am not sure I would agree with your assessment of "ultimately much better quality than the 16/44".

Technically the tracks are a mixed bag too - some with smooth fall-off of higher frequencies, with surprising little above 15 kHz, some with the steep drop at 22K, with a rising HF nose spectrum after that (often a sign of crude upconversion from SACD/DSD).

My guess is that they are based on various digital versions of the analog source material that has then been remixed in a digital system.

My favourite band from childhood to this day I have played the stuff to death.

Pretty much the same (well, not childhood - I was 19 when RIL came out, but...).

Hence as stated above I want 24/96 of the original

I was pretty disappointed with the HDTracks version, but on the other hand, I am not sure 24/96 really makes sense for something off a 1970's analog tape - the analog studio electronics of that era were pretty bad.

Fwiw, I use DVDAudio extractor to extract stereo/ mc files from the DVD-A discs and I think it can be trialled free for 30 days.

Thanks Windhoek.

Julf as one gets older childrens age span seems to widen, I was mid teens when I got in to Theads.

Can't disagree with anything you said. My comments were kinda agreeing with you anyway but being benign as I want to see the good in them(24/96). Some of the remixing/resampling whatever work but it all sounds a bit muddled and compressed.
I think you hit the nail in the head re 80's analog recording quality and attention to detail hence we are left with this type of stuff. But the new CD remasters are good enough.

Will link it later but somebody on hoffman forum produced graphs which are quiet telling about the earlier cd version.

I think you hit the nail in the head re 80's analog recording quality and attention to detail hence we are left with this type of stuff.

A lot of the analog mixing consoles were full of 741 op-amps, and a lot of the digital stuff (effects and instruments) were 8 or 12 bits. Fashion sense wasn't great either :)

Will link it later but somebody on hoffman forum produced graphs which are quiet telling about the earlier cd version.

Would be interesting, more than happy to post comparable graphs from the HDTracks versions.

A few links below, first one shows the graphs so thanks Julf but no need to re HDTracks versions

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ualdisc-set-the-superior-choice.142774/page-3

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/tag/remain-in-light/

Darko's brief review sums it up. A remix another I think hoffman review is very true also.The bass lines are very pronounced a clear in the 24/96 completely different to the original version.

Another good accurate review but listening to crosseyed and painless as I type it aint bad and will have a go at ripping the others from my DVDA disks.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/not-so-sure-about-hd-tracks?reply=17476120018696005

Anyway to sum it up a bit like hearing the Dire Straits first album on DSD. I expected perfection but it is strange sounding. It would seem the problem with hires etc is exactly what are you getting. In some cases great recordings but in general it can be a mixed bag depending on your favourites. The Ray Brown Trio at the Loa Club Live is a brillant example of a good hires recording. Worth searching out. Great test tracks for hearing those differences that matter to us all!

And oh yes Julf we can agree again on the fashion of the eighties. What a sad time clothes wise to be a teenager or budding trendy boy around town

And oh yes Julf we can agree again on the fashion of the eighties. What a sad time clothes wise to be a teenager or budding trendy boy around town

Well, I for one thought I was very cool. OK, I do cringe when I see old photos...

Well, I for one thought I was very cool. OK, I do cringe when I see old photos...

Well just as my children think they look really cool when heading on a night out in 7 inch wedges and other unspeakable bits of clothing we all thought we were cool at those ages but old and grizzly we now know that the gear we are wearing today is much cooler:eek:

Well just as my children think they look really cool when heading on a night out in 7 inch wedges and other unspeakable bits of clothing we all thought we were cool at those ages but old and grizzly we now know that the gear we are wearing today is much cooler:eek:

Or at least much warmer :)

A few weeks living with this mix and it really grows. I think this is the way they probably wanted it to sound originally. Much denser and full of funk rhythms that are more audible than the remastered cd and the very poor original cd release.

How do you think they compare to the original RIL LP?

Have no TT and passed on my Talking Heads LPS awhile ago. The DVD-A I would think is far superior to the LP pressing. If you like Talking Heads you will really appreciate the quality of this remix/remaster. Still haven't go round to ripping the others maybe over xmas or new year if things are quiet. Funny thread has ended up being a conversation about RIL nobody seems to have heard 24/96 versions of the other albums:)

The remasters, which I assume these hires files are taken from, are notably compressed from the original CDs - something I noticed when I ripped both CD versions to do a re-edit of I Zimbra. In fairness they're pretty good sounding still - and I had to buy them for the extra tracks and live footage anyway.
I've not played them back to back with my vinyl copies, but they do sound quite different from memory.

Have no TT and passed on my Talking Heads LPS awhile ago. The DVD-A I would think is far superior to the LP pressing. If you like Talking Heads you will really appreciate the quality of this remix/remaster. Still haven't go round to ripping the others maybe over xmas or new year if things are quiet. Funny thread has ended up being a conversation about RIL nobody seems to have heard 24/96 versions of the other albums:)
I have all of the original Vinyl, all of the original CDs, and the 'Brick' collection, which contains the dual side CD/DVD remasters, the DVD being a 5.1 dolby digital (or is it DTS?) compressed version.

The new CD remasters sound the best to my ears, but my 5.1 replay whilst using the same amps and speakers, does not have the same quality front end as my stereo system (Yamaha DSP-E800 vs MDAC L2 upgrade).

The original Vinyl sounds gutless when compared to the remastered CDs...particularly the earlier stuff, RIL included IMHO ;)

P.S. For me RIL is one of the finest albums ever released...

The new CD remasters sound the best to my ears,
The original Vinyl sounds gutless when compared to the remastered CDs...particularly the earlier stuff, RIL included IMHO ;)
P.S. For me RIL is one of the finest albums ever released...

Agreed remasters are very good.

Yep agreed one of the finest albums ever released still fresh 30+yrs on:)
Seems a lot of closet TH fans here but I feel they are by and large forgotten.
Not doing Liveaid when at the height of their popularity keep them a relatively hidden secret(thankfully)

advertisement

Back