advertisement

Take the grills off

no i leave grills on Tannoy for protection and looks better i think

grills off on verity speakers though

Having had a cat until a couple of years ago always leave the grills on my Living Voice OBX's. My previous Avatars had a small tear in one of the speaker surrounds when I didn't have the grills on.

Some on, some off. It depends on the speaker. If I don't hear any discernible difference on and off then it comes down to what looks best - although that too is a matter of opinion between me and Mrs Oily..

BBC speakers are certainly designed for use with grilles on, the LS3/5A sounds wrong with them off even to my elderly ears. I also think a lot of the ‘brightness’ some complain about with vintage Tannoys is hearing them away from their design intent (rear-mounted into cabs with grilles). Kans certainly sound better with the grilles on. That said I think I prefer my Spendor S3/5R without, and have with various ProAcs etc in the past. I can’t hear foam grilles (Isobariks, SBLs, JR149s etc) so always leave those on. As such I go on a case by case basis, but it is certainly unwise to assume off is better. They are often part of the design on older speakers.

Harbeths are designed with the grilles on to try to get a better flat response. I run my C7s with the grilles off which seems to add detail

I always keep the grilles on with all speakers I've had, aside from the occasional brief removal for no particular reason. I generally prefer the look with grilles on and they keep the dust away from the drivers etc. (I have a very dusty house).

My kids never broke anything but a visiting teenager pushed in a Kan tweeter despite the grilles.
My kids never touched my speakers. But their friends... All of them just have to push the tweeters and the woofers when they see them. Grilles are mandatory! But one of them managed to knock my complete speaker over; grilles don't help then :(

I think it depends on the loudspeaker. My Tannoy System 1000 are grill-less and look good that way. The DMT-15‘s include grills but look and sound better without them, I have put them on when having parties with small children. My ATC SCM-7’s and Linn Tukans have removable grills but I have never considered using them grill-less.

My kids never broke anything but a visiting teenager pushed in a Kan tweeter despite the grilles.
ha , not only the kids but folks vacuming the house can easily jab those fragile cones .. not worth the risk and precious little sonic difference

advertisement

Back