advertisement

Table manners

Because, as @Seeker_UK says, that is the ‘correct’ way to eat peas and was taught in those circles where such things were considered important. Such as military formal dining, state occasions, and so-on.
I'm pleased you added the inverted commas. In my book, correct is any way in which the peas do not fall off the fork before reaching the mouth.

Mind you, I'm a bit weird; a northerner who's lived in the midlands (properly called "the south") for decades so now defaults to thinking of peas as spherical. If I were still up north, I might be wondering what this squashing and spearing malarkey was all about when peas come in a tub and individual pea boundaries are a flight of fancy.

Definitely your problem. It impacts you in precisely zero ways and may be caused by one of many mechanical or other heslth issues or, heaven help us, by the fact that we’re all different. Good to know that whilst you’re sitting eating and minding your own business there’s always a pompous a*** sitting in uninformed judgement on you.
Well, I can't stand it either. I have high sensory sensitivity & it's not the only noise I find unbearable to the point of my legs shaking, yet have had to tolerate privately out of politeness. Fortunately I've not vomited as I have at some noises!

An extract from an article:
"What are the most common sounds that trigger misophonia?
A study published in Plos One found the most bothersome sounds included:
• Eating, chewing, swallowing for 81 percent of individuals studied."

Really!? Not casting doubt of what you say, but how do you know?
My Dad, visiting Canadian relatives in about 1960, was perturbed as the family sat to watch him eat peas off the back of a fork during their first meal. They were fascinated having heard the queen ate like that. He played up to the stereotype.

Funny chat. So British.
I don’t eat peas, hate them. Especially the fluorescent green ones you eat with chips. 😉
Masticating while eating pisses the good lady wife off—I don’t mind really.

Funny chat. So British.
I don’t eat peas, hate them. Especially the fluorescent green ones you eat with chips. 😉
Masticating while eating pisses the good lady wife off—I don’t mind really.
Does your wife swallow without masticating?

In my desperate research on table manners, I keep coming across a William Hanson, "etiquette expert." He is so repulsive, with his slightly sleazy public school caricature accent, that I am starting to really like him! He hates Prosecco, people who take pictures of their food, and giving dinner guests pieces of kitchen paper as napkins. So he can't be all bad.
He also has a slightly camp, ironic way of describing the intricacies of eating peas which makes me think he

In my desperate research on table manners, I keep coming across a William Hanson, "etiquette expert." He is so repulsive, with his slightly sleazy public school caricature accent, that I am starting to really like him! He hates Prosecco, people who take pictures of their food, and giving dinner guests pieces of kitchen paper as napkins. So he can't be all bad.
He also has a slightly camp, ironic way of describing the intricacies of eating peas which makes me think he

….think he what?

Don’t leave us hanging!!

I also like William Hanson. He was one of the few things worth listening to on Steve Wright’s afternoon show, when he guested.

Well, I can't stand it either. I have high sensory sensitivity & it's not the only noise I find unbearable to the point of my legs shaking, yet have had to tolerate privately out of politeness. Fortunately I've not vomited as I have at some noises!

An extract from an article:
"What are the most common sounds that trigger misophonia?
A study published in Plos One found the most bothersome sounds included:
• Eating, chewing, swallowing for 81 percent of individuals studied."
I don’t have a problem with this and I doubt anyone here does unless they’re an arse. My rrsponses relate to the OP who hasn’t declared any such health related responses and appears to have just had their sensibilities offended.

Everyone is brought up differently and with varying norms being acceptable.

I also find eating open mouthed unattractive but wouldn't say anything or show disapproval unless it was my own family.

last night in a French brasserie I was given the eye by the women at the next table for slurping down the sauce after guzzling a pot full of moules.

Everyone is brought up differently and with varying norms being acceptable.

I also find eating open mouthed unattractive but wouldn't say anything or show disapproval unless it was my own family.
The question really is: why do we have table manners at all, or any form of manners for that matter, if not out of consideration for the feelings of our fellow diners?

The question really is: why do we have table manners at all, or any form of manners for that matter, if not out of consideration for the feelings of our fellow diners?

Quite. The reason elbows should not be on the table is to avoid collapsing it and spoiling the experience for your fellow diners.

advertisement

Back