advertisement

Systems for listening quietly (well, not loudly).

Best low-volume sound I've heard was from the ESL57. They also sounded fantastic at medium-loud levels, but clearly don't go to headbanger levels. I miss 'stats....

Best low-volume sound I've heard was from the ESL57. They also sounded fantastic at medium-loud levels, but clearly don't go to headbanger levels. I miss 'stats....
Me too from 1974 to 1988 from new but needed a big room, which I had back then. These days in a small dedicated room my Harbeth C7s sound almost as transparent on Heybrook stands and go louder with an ATC 150 wpc integrated driving them. Low level listening is very pure and dynamic.

I was led to understand that humans like 'louder' up to a point. This is why its important to level match A-B demos, if you like doing such things.

As mentioned before (though a specific wireless suggestion), I'd go with a quality h'phone outfit. The dynamics and detail you get from an acceptable listening level would beat speakers any time, i.m.o. In fact, you really wouldn't want to turn the wick up on decent cans unless you've had too much.

If the soundstage dynamics (holography, detail, imaging e.g.) of a speaker system is compromised by a lower than optimum amp-speaker output volume, the headphone comes into its own on detail, excitement and involvement, if not in room-filling 'wall of sound' which can only be achieved by a bit of welly to the amp/speakers, i.m.o.

Yes, efficient large speakers (which don't need subs !!!!) coupled with a good valved or maybe class A s/state amp of relatively low output will have the edge of any sub 89dB stand-mount but may lose out on other parameters (like imaging, e.g.)

I wonder if any of this is down to hearing, especially as we get older.
Theoretically it must have a bearing, but the clever brain compensation mechanism comes in. I'm quite Mutt 'n' Jeff at 83 but am as thrilled by my various sources and transducers as I've been over 55+ years. Mind you, my kit has improved a bit over that period !

That I can easily discern the quality difference between my Focal Elears (lovely though they are) and my Utopias would indicate that I may be deaf as a post but my brain can still delineate those little improvements.

To me the low level listening experience has more to do with the ambient noise level within the room than anything else.

The quietest ambient noise level in a single family home typically ranges from 20 to 30 decibels (dB). This range is comparable to a quiet rural area or a whisper. Factors influencing this noise level include the home's location, construction materials, and the presence of soundproofing features.

In a suburban setting, the typical ambient noise level in a single family home usually ranges from 30 to 50 decibels (dB). This level can vary depending on factors such as proximity to roads, presence of natural sounds like birds, and noise from household appliances.

The best low level listening experience to me is attainable using quality noise cancelling headphones in a quiet environment. If the ambient noise level in the home is minimal, say around 20 to 30 decibels (dB), quality noise-canceling headphones can further reduce it to an even quieter level, potentially bringing it down to below 10 decibels (dB). This reduction makes the environment extremely quiet, close to the threshold of human hearing.
I very much agree, we did quite an extensive living room refurb last year, blanking up walls, new doors, window etc, I noticed a much quieter room, can concur the system sounds better for it.

This chap build a "sound shed" from the ground up. One of his room noise meter readings was 0dB. Is that even possible or just his sound meter crapping out? Suffice to say, ambient noise is as low as you like. That's got to be gigantic upgrade to the sound

This chap, with cash to burn, fully dampened his walls with a similar effect:

Hoping to move house in the next 12-18mo and would love to be able to do something similar.

Current room isn't too bad, around 30-40dB background noise with the windows shut. But when it rains the road noise from down the road is surprisingly loud.

Right now, using the phone to measure, I get about 20dB background SPL.
It does help a lot in order for the music to sound great at low SPLs.

Ambient noise levels affecting s.q. etc. is sth I've never considered, and I can't think of anything in my listening/living room which would intrude except for my wife's occasional trip to the kitchen or whatever. I suppose the ambient noises discussed above are from those living close to traffic or other exterior noise sources (in flats, e.g?). What on Earth could create noise within a listening room except for the music? I'm a bit baffled there.

Yes, the background hum of the fridge-freezer or boiler (in winter) if the kitchen doors are open, but can't think of anything else as my wife doesn't snore in her armchair behind the speakers. :)

To me the low level listening experience has more to do with the ambient noise level within the room than anything else.

The quietest ambient noise level in a single family home typically ranges from 20 to 30 decibels (dB). This range is comparable to a quiet rural area or a whisper. Factors influencing this noise level include the home's location, construction materials, and the presence of soundproofing features.

In a suburban setting, the typical ambient noise level in a single family home usually ranges from 30 to 50 decibels (dB). This level can vary depending on factors such as proximity to roads, presence of natural sounds like birds, and noise from household appliances.

The best low level listening experience to me is attainable using quality noise cancelling headphones in a quiet environment. If the ambient noise level in the home is minimal, say around 20 to 30 decibels (dB), quality noise-canceling headphones can further reduce it to an even quieter level, potentially bringing it down to below 10 decibels (dB). This reduction makes the environment extremely quiet, close to the threshold of human hearing.
I totally agree this is the main factor. I had my listening room properly sound proofed last year. Decoupled stud walls etc. it makes a huge difference. I can listen at low levels and there is no competing ambient sound intrusion. The main competing ambient sounds I’ve got are:

- birds outside
- planes flying overhead
- loud neighbours with more garden tools than I can list
- traffic noise.

Bear in mind I live in a small village. When you start to notice these things it’s off putting

Ambient noise levels affecting s.q. etc. is sth I've never considered, and I can't think of anything in my listening/living room which would intrude except for my wife's occasional trip to the kitchen or whatever. I suppose the ambient noises discussed above are from those living close to traffic or other exterior noise sources (in flats, e.g?). What on Earth could create noise within a listening room except for the music? I'm a bit baffled there.

Yes, the background hum of the fridge-freezer or boiler (in winter) if the kitchen doors are open, but can't think of anything else as my wife doesn't snore in her armchair behind the speakers. :)
The last house we lived in was in a rural location with a couple of neighbours nearby but no main roads for a couple of miles as the crow flies.
On a Sunday morning it was noticeably quieter outside than on a weekday, during the Covid lockdown it was like months of Sundays.
The background or ambient noise in normal weekday circumstances was not something that was obvious to hear but when it was absent it was noticeably quieter.
I can only put this down to traffic noise from afar, the noise of steel belted radial tyres on tarmac travelling quite far.
IMO in normal circumstances this background noise is absent (mostly) late at night and in the early hours of the morning.

advertisement

Back