advertisement

Systems for listening quietly (well, not loudly).

I just recalled an interesting experience that relates directly to this. I had the Cornwall and was very happy, with one caveat: it didn't have enough tonal richness.

I thought perhaps I should change speakers, so I acquired the Tannoy Kensington SE to try. There were some things it did better, but it definitely didn't sound good at low volumes. I mentioned it here on PFM, and someone reached out to me privately, saying that his Kensington definitely didn't have that problem. He thought it might be my amp.

As we went back and forth, he sent me a series of videos of his speakers playing at different volumes. Even in those phone videos, I could pinpoint the threshold at which they sounded acceptable to me. IIRC, we even exchanged dB ratings to see what it was, and it corresponded to the same threshold volume using the speakers at my end.

So there's some combination of speaker, amplifier, and listener expectation, and one can even gauge and perceive it using a video recorded with a phone. Weird stuff! 🤔

IME to sound good at low spl levels (in a very quiet room) the setup must be both highly resolving and very capable in terms of lower frequency reproduction. Otherwise it will probably sound muffled and thin compared to what it can do at higher spl levels.

I'd go for speakers with a smile-shaped response and a sub, and EQ or use 'Loudness' circuit.
'Clinical-sounding' electronics should help too.

I remember being shocked at how good my old Tannoy System 10 DMT Mk1 sounded at low volume, compared to my previous speakers. I could turn them right down and vocals still had life, and projected into the room, with good bass too. Crank them up to almost nightclub levels, and they still sounded great.
The Tannoys didn't sound good with electric guitars though (soft), which I put down to the self damping of the plastic drivers. Controversial, I know, but had the same thing happen with a number of previous plastic coned drivers, so can only think that's what it was.

I was using highly modified Naim 62 / 250 at the time, and I'm sure that played a part, because certain power supply mods really increased dynamics.

I've noticed the most important determining factor with this is a speaker that can actually sound good at low volume. Without that, nothing else will do it.

I switched from the Royd Albion to the RR3 for that very reason.

RR3?;)

Monster Rockin' Roller 3 | 100W Portable Indoor/Outdoor Water Resistant Wireless Speaker with TWS Technology (Connect 2 Speakers Wirelessly) and NOAA Weather Radio

RR3?;)

Monster Rockin' Roller 3 | 100W Portable Indoor/Outdoor Water Resistant Wireless Speaker with TWS Technology (Connect 2 Speakers Wirelessly) and NOAA Weather Radio

FYI: Royd RR3 👍

rr3_l.jpg

My experience regarding the topic is the following:

1. Class A amps seem a touch more capable when it comes to the low-volume listening
2. Any good power supply tweaks usually improve that cause they typically touch mids and below
3. Sub can really help if you seamlessly integrate it. It’s never only about the bass, it changes presentation perception overall

I've noticed the most important determining factor with this is a speaker that can actually sound good at low volume. Without that, nothing else will do it.

I switched from the Royd Albion to the RR3 for that very reason.
This.
Bizarrely Linn SARAs sound great at low volumes, at least mine do.

In the late 80’s I bought into all the British hifi press flat earth stuff. Chased linn and naim around as well as mission, Cyrus, etc.

I’m so pleased I’m back with a big (it’s all relative) Japanese amp with great tone controls and a loudness button.

It renders so much of this trying to make things work perfectly for every volume and every recording redundant. If I want to I just press a switch and get the boost, or twiddle a nob and pull back the treble on a shrill recording, or maybe add a bit of richness.

Each to their own, but for me, I’m never going back.

Last edited:
Although some systems sound better than other at low levels, is that the whole story. There must be a minimum level at which a recording should be played in order to be able to hear the quietest elements. Otherwise some nuances will be below hearing level. In which case listening below that levels will never sound quite as it should.

Although some systems sound better than other at low levels, is that the whole story. There must be a minimum level at which a recording should be played in order to be able to hear the quietest elements. Otherwise some nuances will be below hearing level. In which case listening below that levels will never sound quite as it should.

Have you ever listened to music really late at night into the wee small hours and easily able
too hear everything on the recording, even the quietest elements?
Then get up the next morning and playing the same recording at the same level and you can barely hear it?
I've had this experience a number of times, I can only put this down to exterior 'ambient' or background noise, just the everyday commotion of traffic, etc.

To me the low level listening experience has more to do with the ambient noise level within the room than anything else.

The quietest ambient noise level in a single family home typically ranges from 20 to 30 decibels (dB). This range is comparable to a quiet rural area or a whisper. Factors influencing this noise level include the home's location, construction materials, and the presence of soundproofing features.

In a suburban setting, the typical ambient noise level in a single family home usually ranges from 30 to 50 decibels (dB). This level can vary depending on factors such as proximity to roads, presence of natural sounds like birds, and noise from household appliances.

The best low level listening experience to me is attainable using quality noise cancelling headphones in a quiet environment. If the ambient noise level in the home is minimal, say around 20 to 30 decibels (dB), quality noise-canceling headphones can further reduce it to an even quieter level, potentially bringing it down to below 10 decibels (dB). This reduction makes the environment extremely quiet, close to the threshold of human hearing.

I’ve spent the morning listening to Strauss tone poems at 63dB average with lots of dynamic contrast I think I could clearly hear. I think I’m lucky since ambient is 30dB average which must be low for London.

advertisement

Back