advertisement

Systemdek platter

jimmytwos

pfm Member
Are the acrylic ones better than my standard glass one? If so, why? There are a few on ebay, reasonably priced. Anyone here use one?

Thanks, jim

I think the theory is (a) that they are just better damped, but (b) that they have, er, the 'same mechanical impedance' as vinyl. The Systemdek AP (acrylic platter) version I heard about 15 years ago was definitely better than the glass one I had at the time.

Audio Note, who sort of took over making the same decks, now use the acrylic in the better models (or perhaps in all of them).

If you were going to replace the glass platter you should at least go for something of similar weight. To do that in acrylic requires at least 20 & probably 25 mm of thickness and for it to be solid.

Thanks, so the consensus is they are (may) be better? The ebay ones seem to suggest they are lighter as they say slight suspension adjustment may be needed. I only ask as mine has a few chips around the edge from previous owner and im almost certain I wont be able to get a glass replacement.

Definitely better than glass,as I remember the original optional acrylic platter (the one that was fitted to the 2by2) was about 18/19mm thick and needed virtually no adjustment.

Acrylic is better , several companies make them as do audionote which is mush thicker . The audionote ones are quite expensive and require the bearing to be returned to get the correct fit ( cost £200 ) . If you wish to get a new glass one rega ones are the same but do not come with the plastic insert in the middle

Thanks very much for your veiws. I will find out further info on the ebay platters, they seem good value and it seems acrylic seems a no brainer.

Thanks

.... The audionote ones ... require the bearing to be returned to get the correct fit....

The only replacement platters AN(UK) now stock are for Systemdeks with the larger centre boss on the sub platter (often referred to as Type B apparently). The version for the small centre hole / spindle (7.2mm) is currently unavailable.

You don't need to send your bearing back anymore... as long as you have the large centre boss, they can supply a platter directly.

Martin.

Trust me, I work for Audio Note (UK) and I know what we sell ;-)

We no longer can supply the small hole version, only the large hole one.

I think Funk Achroplat makes an alternative for System Deck, not cheap though, another option is to use the glass tellar with Achromat on

Martin, do give my regards to PQ:)
I knew him back in the 80'ies when he ran a hifishop

Thanks for the confirmation Martin, but dont you think its about time you updated your website in that case?

What you have there now is completely misleading...and I'd also like to be able to trust your website!

Per, it will be my pleasure to pass on your regards to Peter :)

Adespade, I completely agree, unfortunately right now we are between websites, and we have limited time and resources when it comes to editing the old (existing) site and working on the new (to eventually be launched) site. Please accept our apologies for the confusion.

advertisement

Back