advertisement

System / Music that makes your room sound bigger.

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
Duke Ellington "Blues in Orbit" played on Denon DCD-835, Sony TA-FB 940R and Proac D2D's.
Any other tunes or systems that come to mind?

Any system with omnidirectional speakers.

My Duevel Venus speakers, given a decent recording, provide a window into a space much bigger than my living room šŸ™‚

Dire Straights Love Over Gold on MoFi Original Master vinyl running at 45 rpm. Excellent dynamics and music I like.

Some albums really have the ability to do the 'bigger than the room' thing.
There was / is a recording thing called 'Q sound' that can work exceptionally well.
"Amused to death' R.Waters, some Madonna Albums and I think a Genesis album certainly exist in this format.
"Briefly Eternal' by Horror Inc is certainly worth investigating as well IMO, though will not be to everyones taste.
There are plenty more for sure.

51EiWhDbGdL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Some albums really have the ability to do the 'bigger than the room' thing.
There was / is a recording thing called 'Q sound' that can work exceptionally well.
"Amused to death' R.Waters, some Madonna Albums and I think a Genesis album certainly exist in this format.
"Briefly Eternal' by Horror Inc is certainly worth investigating as well IMO, though will not be to everyones taste.
There are plenty more for sure.
I'm only aware of Q-sound being used on Amused to Death in my record collection and it certainly works well at giving the impression that sounds are coming from outside the room.
It's one of the 'test' LPs I use for setup, if the dog barking doesnt sound like it's in the yard or horses and carriage and the F50 don't sound like they're passing on a road outside about 30 yards behind the speakers I know something is off, thankfully it's a great album and always a pleasure to listen too and not just for sound effects.
Mezzanine by Massive Attack mentioned above is another LP with a massive soundstage or soundscape complete with subterranean gut churning bass.o_O

The Blumlein Shuffle may be of interest. I believe there have been preamps and/or standalone boxes which can apply it to a conventional stereo signal in post-production.

Edit: here you go:

Meridian Trifield processing of 2 channel into multi channel can work well with some music to envelop/surround you with sound.

In my experience, it only really clicked and worked well once all the 'speakers (5 in my case) were the same and I had some room treatment, before that it was a bit like pushing the 'Hall' button on cheap Yamaha processor from the 90s...

Subwoofers also make a huge difference in the effect, I have two running with the main left and right 'speakers.

Plus one for the subwoofer.

Setting up seemed very simple when placed in between the main speakers with a little back wall reinforcement.

0Ā° phase, cut off frequency set low and level set low, so not to boom. It makes the room sound bigger as well as the music.

Miles Davis So What.

Brilliant musicians all spaced out (geographically speaking!) sound like they're standing in a big space behind the back wall!

No fancy studio reverb involved.

Pat Metheny - The road to you (live album).

Grace Jones - Donā€˜t cry - Itā€™s only the rhythm.

The Blumlein Shuffle may be of interest. I believe there have been preamps and/or standalone boxes which can apply it to a conventional stereo signal in post-production.

Edit: here you go:

That's interesting. I'd thought Blumlein shuffling was a stereo recording technique, not something that could be applied afterwards. Fascinating article - thanks for posting!

P.S. Any members who aren't familiar with the name Alan Blumlein need to spend five minutes on Google. Without him we'd all be listening to a single speaker : )

ā€œMaking things sound biggerā€?

ā€œEnveloping sound?ā€

All a load of tommyrot. As long as thereā€™s PRaT, who cares about this stuff? The tune - itā€™s all about the tune!

;)

advertisement

Back