advertisement

System comprising Harbeth P3ESR XD

tried a few amps with the p3esr including sugden , personally the arcam amps gave a more musical and engaging performance . i was rather impressed . however there are hundreds of threads on this subject so worth a check . harbeth FB`s groups often have them

So a Sugden did not match well? Do you own the speakers and have you tried any valve amplifiers?

Personally I use an Exposure pre/power (one is the XVIII, the other is the XXIII, but I can never remember which). I have also used them with a Croft power amp and Music First preamp. Equally good results with both combinations.

Reactions: RoA
I use a A21a with the P3ESR's predecessor the P3ES2. I find it a really good engaging match however I listen in a near field set up which probably plays to their strengths. I don't think it would give a room filling sound in a bigger room where more power and/or bigger boxes would be more suitable.

What budget? I demoed the standard / older P3ESR at a dealers with my own rega brio 2017 model and sounded very good and the dealer was very impressed too as he had never heard the brio before.

I bought a pair of Stirling Broadcast Ls3/5a MK2 speakers last week which are pretty similar to the Harbeths IMO and the guy I bought the speakers from had the speakers plugged into two Harman Kardon PA 2400 amps which was being fed by a Blue Sound Node 2i and the sound from the speakers was absolutely extraordinary, so much so I bought them on the spot however when I got them home and plugged them into my amp which is a Yamaha N-803D receiver they sounded okay, good but nothing like what I heard in the seller's system.

I've since bought a Yamaha PA P2350 and I plugged the SBs into that amp yesterday which is being fed by a RPi 3 streamer running Volumio and what an amazing sound from the speakers with that amp/set up, they sounded just as good as the seller's set up.

Bottom line is those sort of speakers need a lot of power and current to make them sound excellent.

I had a pair of P3 ESRs a couple of years ago and loved them but clearly I didn't hear them set up properly.

I've read all of that nonsense that Alan Shaw comes out with regarding pairing cheap amps with his speaker designs and it really is nonsense cause I bought a Pulse integrated to use with the P3 ESRs and frankly it wasn't very good.

Tony

PS I also own a pair of Elac BS 312 speakers and they sound 'okay' with my Yamaha receiver but with the Yamaha PA amp they're like completely different speakers, stunning actually.

I am starting to plan a conventional separates system for a third, smaller room and am contemplating to perhaps go British which would count out my Quad 11L Classics in storage.

The Harbeths seem extraordinary expensive for what they are but I have a penchant for small good speakers. I'd like to source a pair s/h perhaps but would need to listen to them first.

As to what I listen to ... Jazz, Metal, Punk, Classical and spoken word.

Whatever Amplifier I end up with, it has to have R/C.

Jazz, metal, punk : the number one that comes to my mind is the Supernait. I tried this combination at a dealer and apart from the lack of bass, it really was breathtaking ! Very lively, dynamic and a lot of "get up and go" that made me feel the music rather than just passively listen to it.
Most of the amps from Exposure would give similar results IMO.
I also heard these little speakers with a Jadis vacuum tube integrated which was more quiet but very "vibrant " on female voices, just like if they were in the room with us.

What budget? I demoed the standard / older P3ESR at a dealers with my own rega brio 2017 model and sounded very good and the dealer was very impressed too as he had never heard the brio before.

If a new Brio would match (and match good) that would be fantastic from both a financial and aesthetic point! Otherwise something from Exposure like a 3010S2 or something with valves maybe?

The system needs to have drive and warmth. Involvement without fatigue. I am aware the speakers are small and have limited headroom/power handling.

I would consider something like a ProAc Tablette 10 too at less than half the cost but I don't know if that compares.

I listen to most of the same music, well not metal or punk, but Jazz, seventies soul, 80s stuff-China Crisis & etc, Bowie, Miles Davis & John Coltrane, Bill Evans etc and the female voice, spoken voice via FM radio 4 & 2 & occasionally radio 3, DAB+ Jazz FM, Flac streamed.

I've owned a lot of small bookshelf speakers, Spendor S3/5r2 (brilliant) Harbeth P3 ESR, Elac BS312, Stirling Broadcast Ls3/5A v2 and frankly I could live with any of those but if I had to pick then it would be the SB v2s followed by the Spendor but as said above you have to listen to them with decent amplification otherwise you don't hear them properly, if I hadn't auditioned the SB v2s at the seller's place with his amps and source then I wouldn't have bought them cause in my house with my amp they just sound okay.

I've also owned a few amps, had a Rega Brio and sold it, Croft basic dual volume pot thing hated it and sold it, Sugden A21a and A21P which is a brilliant amp and really underrated and a few others and seriously the Yamaha PA P230 is something else I just need to maybe buy a decent pre-amp to go with it but for the moment I'm using the volume control in Volumio via my Macbook Pro or my iPhone XR.

BTW, there was a pair of the SB v2s on the Wam recently for £850 don't know if they sold though.

PS, the Yamaha PA amp is brutally ugly:D

Many people here will recommend Croft, vintage Quad or tubes
From my experience with P3ESR's and LS3/5a's I'd recommend the Roksan Caspian M2 or Leema Tucana ii

So a Sugden did not match well? Do you own the speakers and have you tried any valve amplifiers?

yes the sugden was a bit clinical and sterile with the p3esr , i did own the speakers but not got at moment . others may like sugden with p3esr but i dont

advertisement

Back