advertisement

System Components

I have to treat my woman digitally all the time.

I will now leave the building.

Perhaps it's better if you contain your enthusiasm to plastic secews and cat piss deflectors.
I have tried,
Keith.
Oh and ask your wife if you can move the sofa so it doesn't cover the speaker.

Keith I wondered how long your incredible patience could last.

Heads and brick walls are not even close. :rolleyes:

Now to something important.

Whist my main speakers are out until replacement tweeters have arrived I'm now able to sort out at least a couple of bass traps, I'm thinking for the corners either side of my listening position.

Could you perhaps send me some information on where I might get a basic introduction to room problems please?

Cheers.

to continue the analogy, if quality headphones are the equivalent of 20/20 vision, most domestic living rooms (and from the look of it yours) are like wearing old NHS thick rimmed glasses and smearing the lenses with a thin coat of vaseline.

You might well enjoy the latter. It won't however allow you to see anything for what it is.

Whenever I've used headphones, from cheap 'n' cheerful to "how much???", the thing I can't get past is the feeling that the sound is happening inside my head. There is no, absolutely no, semblance of a stereo image, soundstage, or any of the other illusions created by a pair of loudspeakers.

This does make me wonder how it can be argued that headphones are the epitome of reproduction, if they can't even create the most basic illusion stereo was created for.

Frankly, if that's the only way to bypass the room's effects, I'll pass, thanks.

Keith I wondered how long your incredible patience could last.

Heads and brick walls are not even close. :rolleyes:

Now to something important.

Whist my main speakers are out until replacement tweeters have arrived I'm now able to sort out at least a couple of bass traps, I'm thinking for the corners either side of my listening position.

Could you perhaps send me some information on where I might get a basic introduction to room problems please?

Cheers.
Arthur that 'colonial' Teddy Ray, is always banging on about 'Real Traps' ,they have an interesting video or two on their site, no cable lifters in sight!
KR Keith.

Because the room does the same thing to speech, to everyday noises, to my wife's dulcet tones...the Trinnov only worked on the HiFi.

If I could pass the entire world through the Trinnov so everything in the world was equalised, then perhaps it would sound natural and everything else without Trinnov would sound unnatural.

As I can't do the former, then I prefer nothing to be corrected, and let the room's natural acoustic be heard.

It's a case of correcting the HiFi only, which is what the Trinnov does (and does very well I might add) or correcting for every other sound in the same room. I prefer my HiFi to sound like everything else in the same room.

S.
Serge we will settle this once and for all the only way real men settle arguments,
a 'Chinese Burn' contest at Scalford!
KR Keith.

Well, everything there is to know about conker technology was already well-known by 1971. No doubt it'll be just as good today,and modern conkers are no better than they ought to be.

Or something.

Arthur that 'colonial' Teddy Ray, is always banging on about 'Real Traps' ,they have an interesting video or two on their site, no cable lifters in sight!
KR Keith.

Yes, it's a good product, but their range of products is a bit limited, with absolutely nothing for the acrylic lover.

Where's the sandwiched acrylic bass traps? Or the acrylic Cat Wee Deflector room correction kit?

Whenever I've used headphones, from cheap 'n' cheerful to "how much???", the thing I can't get past is the feeling that the sound is happening inside my head. There is no, absolutely no, semblance of a stereo image, soundstage, or any of the other illusions created by a pair of loudspeakers.

This does make me wonder how it can be argued that headphones are the epitome of reproduction, if they can't even create the most basic illusion stereo was created for.

Frankly, if that's the only way to bypass the room's effects, I'll pass, thanks.

To be fair, I did not claim headphones were the epitome of reproduction, but that they were able to show just what damage a room does to the artist's recording.

I would imagine that only 10% or less of available software is true stereo and the rest (certainly popular music) is artificial stereo - multitracked studio recordings where the purpose of the "image" is purely to separate the instruments in the crowded midrange to enable the mix to be heard more clearly. Headphones do this better than any loudspeaker in an untreated room IME.

The room acoustics are already sorted as is required. The round earth mentality cannot accept that the brain will filter out mild room effects but will be fatigued by gap-filling when the information at source is wanting.

Action or context?

Action every time and the human brain will happily filter out all but the most extreme interaction between the two.

Enjoy your anechoic chamber!

Steven are you pretending to be stupid? No-one is suggesting an anechoic chamber is the aim. However, you will have intrusive room modes, whether you like it or not. These will interfere with the ability of your kit to play "in time". You are not equipped to "hear through" these modes, although denial is a good strategy, as you (and someone else) have discovered.

Steven are you pretending to be stupid? No-one is suggesting an anechoic chamber is the aim. However, you will have intrusive room modes, whether you like it or not. These will interfere with the ability of your kit to play "in time". You are not equipped to "hear through" these modes, although denial is a good strategy, as you (and someone else) have discovered.

You forget, my speakers are smaller, the room larger, the floor and walls are solid compared to that of the someone else.

Ask Keith if he will lend you his Trinnov. It focusses the mind.

You forget, my speakers are smaller, the room larger, the floor and walls are solid compared to that of the someone else.

Doesn't matter. Give us your room dimensions, the lower cut-off frequency of the Tannoys, and someone will calculate your room's modal frequencies.

So 'room correction' does nothing to ameliorate the effects of time smear above 300Hz (where most of the music is.)

Well I never...!

Depends what you mean by room correction s it covers many possible treatments.
Electrical correction won't, passive certainly can.

The smearing of the room I can listen through. I cannot listen through smearing at source.

There isn't any with a digital source.

Dr John is on now and there is no shortage of snap or drive. I think you could do with another beer/listen session.

Yep, I'll definitely get up there before Christmas :)

Might well have an amp for you to audition by then.
It's sounding rather nice spread all over the bench at the moment.
Funnily enough it will have parametric and step EQ that only works below 300Hz ;)

advertisement

Back