Syd's dead.

bor

queue jumper
Apparently Syd Barret died on Friday.

Syd Barrett dies aged 60

Audrey Gillan
Tuesday July 11, 2006
Guardian Unlimited

Syd Barrett, the former leader of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the sixties, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.
The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from complications related to diabetes.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

I know nothing of his solo work post-Floyd, but the guy seems to have been a shadow over the group since he left.

Very sad news indeed. I always hoped he would one day write his story, looks somewhat unlikely now...

Tony.

Tony L said:
..I always hoped he would one day write his story, looks somewhat unlikely now...
Somewhat impossible.

Another drug casualty from the 60s. There's a lot of it about.

Madcap Laughs currently rotating here at 33.3rpm and damn fine it is too. A fractured genius. Jugband Blues next...

Tony.

Piper at The Gates Of Dawn was my first 'proper' lp. It's Pink Floyd's best, one of the best of the 60's and unique in its influence. Thanks Syd.

Very sad news.

I had no knowledge of his death until today yet spent most of Saturday raising the roof with lots of Floyd vinyl.

Tom Robinson just played "bike" on Radio 2 as a fitting track.

By an amazing coincidence I had a mild attack of hay fever at the same time as I cranked it up and sang along as loud as I could.

advertisement

Back