advertisement

Switched On Bach - anyone got it?

starbuck

pfm Member
Not sure if this is in the right forum or not, apologies if wrong.

I have a friend who is looking for a CD (or CDR) of the original version of 'Switched on Bach' by Walter/Wendy Carlos, because they want to play a piece of it at their wedding, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for it that didn't cost the earth? Amazon marketplace has it priced fairly hideously for a one off airing, as does ebay, so I wonder if anyone could suggest an alternative source?

Many thanks.

I have a mono copy on vinyl which I think is largely free of crackles. I can rip the track they want to MP3 or the whole LP. Great LP, BTW.

Thank you, Simon, that's really kind of you. My friends are away at present at an antique trade fair in Newark, so I wouldn't be able to find out which piece/s that want until after the weekend. Is it possible either for me to let you know next week exactly what they're after, or for you to do the whole LP if its not too much hassle (I've never ripped from vinyl and don't know what woerk is involved)?

Thanks again,

Chris.

That's great, thank you - will get in touch with them to find out which one it is and let you know asap.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes but I have this on CD and could mp3 a track if that's easier than recording an lp.

Mick

Thank you, Mick. I don't want to appear ungrateful to Simon, but I assume it would be easier to do from CD than from vinyl so would be happy take the mp3(s) from the CD.

Simon, your reply/offer is greatly appreciated but if you wont be offended, I'll PM Mick about this.

I've got the (now ridiculously priced on Amazon) Switched on Bach 4CD boxed set, if all else fails.

I believe Walter had it but now he hasn't and now he is Wendy.

I'll get me coat.

It was very expensive to record and he had to pay himself, apparently it left him without a sausage :)
Those prices are crazy, my vinyl will now be looked after for my retirement fund

I've got the (now ridiculously priced on Amazon) Switched on Bach 4CD boxed set, if all else fails.

That's the set I own too; I also have most of it on vinyl. To be honest, my favourite of Carlos' stuff is Sonic Seasonings - not usually a fan of loads of ambient noodlings but Seasonings is good, I think.

Mick

Give me Tomita anyday

Got most of his stuff too (and that of Hans Wurman) but nowadays I play very little of any of them.
First got into Carlos' stuff when I bought the soundtrack for A Clockwork Orange. At the time, only Switched On Bach and The Well Tempered Synthesizer were available (if you ignore that compilation on Nonesuch, I think it was).
I thought Bach's music suited the new stylings very well, and stayed with Carlos for years, but bought very little after By Request.
Kept meaning to pick up the two "Lost Soundtracks" CDs, but they went out of print very quickly and I missed my chance.

Mick

advertisement

Back