advertisement

Surprising gear Combinations. Good or Bad ?

Milspec1

Recently I picked up a Naim Nap 110 and was surprised how well it was able to handle my Dynaudio contours that are 85db & 4ohms. The 110 is only 55 wpc into 4 ohms and from my experience with Dynaudio I felt this would be underwhelming. I was happily shocked by the outcome. I also have a set of Zu dw speakers that are very efficient and I borrowed a 4wpc SET amp to try with them. On paper it should have been a great match up. In the real would it was less than impressive. I have a buddy that seems to always match up electronics and speakers in surprising ways. Anyone else have any great or terrible matches ?

Sensitivity and nominal impedance usually tell nothing about the match with amp. It’s impedance stability and phase shifts that are important, there was a good article online about this..

At the opposite end of the spectrum, many advise against powering LS3/5As with more than a few tube watts. I've used mine with 80-100 watt solid state amplifiers for over 40 years - anything less just lacked something. Yes, you need to be a little careful with that volume control but the reserve power definitely adds something to the equation.

Last edited:
Seven years ago I purchased a Sonos Amp for use in my three season porch. It had all that I needed:

1. HDMI-ARC for the tv that allowed me to use the tv remote for all operations.
2. Streaming capability that allowed me to multi-room with my Sonos 3 in the kitchen.
3. A line input that allowed me to listen to the turntable from my main Linn/Exposure setup in the basement.

It worked surprisingly well into my ATC-SCM-7’s and replaced a NuForce IA-7 intergrated amp that I used for years.

When late Fall arrived and it was time to move the system into storage, I decided to try the Sonos Amp in the living room system driving the Tannoy DMT-15’s. I feel in love with how the setup sounded and the new found convenience of running them in that room. So easy to stream and operate from my iPad. Directing the audio from my record output selector on my preamp starts up music from my turntable the second the needle hits the groove. A second Sonos Amp was purchased and I haven’t given a thought to return to the arrangement prior with the Exposure 15 integrated.

My brother-in-law used to have a Cyrus system with Monitor Audio speakers which, allegedly would strip paint and cause bats to drop from the sky, stunned.

Sounded absolutely superb.

GOOD!

This was an amazing combo...

Our CREEK 4040 S3 driving our completely hot-rodded (original) REGA KYTES.

The little KYTES have a rather minimal crossover, but due to the small cabinet size, usually require a lot more than 40W (of CREEK) to come on song - so I was a bit surprised.

The reality was an amazing system for our (then) smallish living room.
(A bit of CREEK Bass control increase worked very well...)

This shot was taken, when I had been busy painting the front wall of the room - a task which could NOT be undertaken without primo sounds!

Eventually, we decided to let the wonderful little CREEK go, when we departed NZ - but still have the fabulous little KYTES boxed and stowed.

[Surprisingly, I was still able to salvage the lower two image links from the now defunct WAM site...!]

rega-kyte-restored-improved-complete-2-jpg.747851

27731-85ca7fa0914aaa3d3b409d4969642e6e.jpg

27730-a6be2c24ed3c55691d87d97ef6b88400.jpg

Yep! That's the wonderful little TISBURY passive, providing source attenuation. Wouldn't be without it! ;)

GOOD!

The little KYTES have a rather minimal crossover, but due to the small cabinet size, usually require a lot more than 40W (of CREEK) to come on song - so I was a bit surprised.

This shot was taken, when I had been busy painting the front wall of the room - a task which could NOT be undertaken without primo sounds!

Eventually, we decided to let the wonderful little CREEK go, when we departed NZ - but still have the fabulous little KYTES boxed and stowed.

[Surprisingly, I was still able to salvage the lower two image links from the now defunct WAM site...!]

Yep! That's the wonderful little TISBURY passive, providing source attenuation. Wouldn't be without it! ;)
I have the Tisbury Domino phono amp. Lovely little thing.

My Yamaha 803D powering my Maggie LRS speakers. Not super powerful amp but enough high current to allow the Amaggies to sing. I thought I may have to change it but not so. It’s is enough.

DPA 50s pre and power into Mission 753 meant to be temporary while I have my Tannoy Berkeleys repaired especially when my children are going through a heavy metal phase but surprisingly capable all round and still in place!

GOOD!

Hi @SONDEKNZ ,
interested in what you did to “hot rod” your Kytes - still using a pair in my dining room radio system with a Nait3/Quad FM4, lovely little speaker.
could be worthwhile starting a new thread, so that information doesn’t get “lost”

Hi @SONDEKNZ ,
interested in what you did to “hot rod” your Kytes - still using a pair in my dining room radio system with a Nait3/Quad FM4, lovely little speaker.
could be worthwhile starting a new thread, so that information doesn’t get “lost”

Agree on all counts! ;)👍

I have an old thread at diyaudio but not sure if I’m allowed to post here.

If I find the time I’ll drag the info and pics into a brand-new thread here.

How much power does your QUAD amp have on-tap in order to drive your KYTES?

Hi @SONDEKNZ

My amp is a Nait 3 integrated, about 30wpc but “ballsy” suites the Kytes well in my opinion.
the Quad FM4 is a recent addition, its an FM tuner - very pleased with it, I have spent many a happy hour listening to BBC radio2 Johnny Walker (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b94jkt)

red cable “JSAUX” for attaching my iPad for radio Paradise (for those times when BBC broadcasts disco/musicals on R2 :oops:)
EDIT : found the DIY thread - thanks 👍

Last edited:

advertisement

Back