advertisement

Surcharges: a good reason to avoid Interparcel

irb

pfm Member
As many will know, Interparcel is a UK booking agent for parcel delivery. It's like a comparison website for shipping services, and I've used it regularly to arrange shipping, for many years. I always found it pretty good. Until recently.

Twice, in the last few months, I had a failed delivery, and the parcel was returned to me. (On the first occasion, the carrier, APC, claimed they left a card, but the buyer said they didn't receive a card; the second time, Parcelforce claimed to have tried three times to deliver; the buyer said they were in, but didn't hear the doorbell on any of the three occasions. On both occasion, I believe the buyers were genuine - they both still wanted the item after this happened, and paid for me to resend it.)

A few days after each failed delivery, though, I got a bill from Interparcel. The first time, the surcharge was £38.88. (The shipping had cost me £11.88.) The second time, the surcharge was £36.30. (I'd paid £12.18 for shipping.)

Why was the surcharge issued? Because when you book a parcel with Interparcel, they give the carrier their own office address as the return address. So if a delivery fails, the carrier doesn't return the parcel to the sender, they send it to Interparcel's HQ, at Gatwick. Then Interparcel arranges for a courier (DHL in my case) to pick it up from them and ship it back to you. They charge you for that, and they add an admin fee. If you don't pay, they threaten legal action, and costs.

As far as I can see, there's no reason why Interparcel need to give a carrier their own address for return. They could fix this if they wanted. But maybe it's lucrative for them.

Anyway if you don't want to be hit with a large surcharge in the event of a failed delivery, I suggest you don't use Interparcel. I've learnt my lesson. Going forward, I'll booking direct with carriers.

Last edited:
Good morning all,

I use Royal Mail 'Click and Drop' and have things collected by the postie. Ordinarily things are collected the next day and I don't have to make special arrangements to get to a Post Office. I know I'm driving another nail in to the local PO coffin but it is an 11mile round trip for me or a time consuming deviation on a trip out to do something else.

I avoid using Interparcel and parcel2go nowadays........

Regards

Richard

I've been using Click and Drop a lot too. Postie doesn't always show up but it's pretty handy and saves me queuing up being at the Post Office behind someone paying in their life savings in 2ps and 5ps.

I understand that free collection is an introductory offer though and they'll start charging fairly soon.

Thanks to the OP for the warning about Interparcel - I've used them a fair bit and you've given me pause for thought.

Good morning all,

I use Royal Mail 'Click and Drop' and have things collected by the postie. Ordinarily things are collected the next day and I don't have to make special arrangements to get to a Post Office. I know I'm driving another nail in to the local PO coffin but it is an 11mile round trip for me or a time consuming deviation on a trip out to do something else.

I avoid using Interparcel and parcel2go nowadays........

Regards

Richard
Likewise, I’ve now stopped using P2G and PMonkey in favour of RM direct, seems to be working very well so far. Local PO has been moved into the CoOp and not well run, usually takes an age to get someone as the till is shared with the shop, seems like an afterthought.

Dropped Interparcel and Hermes long ago, Mrs runs an eCommerce shop and uses DHL cos she gets volume discount, seem to be OK sorting things out when parcels go astray or get damaged.

only for businesses though?
thats how it's pitched but anyone can join. it only works if you post 20 parcels a month though, as there is a monthly fee, their rates are normally cheaper than going to the courier direct so you tend to get the monthly fee back in the first 20 parcels. But it's the one stop place for live chat support with proper staff that makes them the best way to send stuff.

I've also used click and collect and it's proven to be unreliable. RM delivery from the PO though has, up to recently, been reliable.

Used to use interparcel all the time but have now stopped for the simple reason that their password reminder email simply doesn't work (never arrives, not in junk etc) so I can't get into the sodding site. Now book direct with UPS or just use RM click and collect, which actually works very well and is reasonably priced.

Same experience here...I refused to pay the surcharge and have never been back since.

Reactions: irb

advertisement

Back