advertisement

Supernait 2 - hicap DR or TeddyCap?

Hi

After some reading, i think need some clarification - if anyone who tried the combos mentioned in the thread title are kind enough to help. So here goes:

1. As far as i understand from their website, the Teddycap is an alternative for Hicap or Hicap2. People on naim forums say that Hicap (2) is a downgrade when added to the SN2, since SN2 has a DR inside it. Is the TC on par with the HCDR?

2. I love love love the sound of the SN2, but sometimes (JUST sometimes) the bass can be a bit overpowering for my small flat (im running my SN2 into Martin Logan Motion 40 floorstanders, and they're really beefy sounding). Would adding the Teddycap help in that respect without robbing the omph from the overal presentation?

3. If you're running the Teddycap on SN2, how would you describe the improvement over the bare SN2?

My music preferences vary from 70's prog rock, to classical, trip-hop, electronica to prog metal - if any of that helps. Source is a Naim Dac V1, and in the near future, maybe a Technics SL1200.

Thanks in advance :)

I would as well, but since i'm trying to cheap my way out of buying Naim, I don't know wether it'll be tollerated or not :)

I dont know about the Supernait 2, but when I put a teddycap on my Nait XS-2 (not the latest one), it definitely tightened up the bass without losing any punch or pace

The Naim forum does not allow discussion on 3rd party PSU's which unlike items like IC & power leads, do directly affect the Naim electronics & has warranty implications.

The SN2 does have an internal DR to power the pre-amp section, but it is a simple single rail 24v that gets divided into 2 branches in the "upgrade" link plug.
The HiCap & TeddyCap both provide 2 individual rails of 24v each from separate regulators. These should give a better SQ, as its a 2 rail supply & not affect by the variable load of the power amp/speaker load influencing the performance of the internal DR.

Question is how much better & which of the PSU's will do it better.
You need to go listen to a HiCap at a dealer demo first to at least hear if it does add something worthwhile to the SN2.
The choice of a TeddyCap has to be down to opinions gathered from the likes of forums.
But if the TeddyCap does what it does over the HiCap on a Supernait (1) when I was deciding, I would advise the TeddyCap.
I found the HC added some fat to the mid/upper bass which on my already bass heavy speakers became tiring after a while, but it might well enhance a smaller speaker with less bass depth.
The TC-III however did not add any upper bass emphasis, instead added more bass texture overall & some more emphasis in the lower regions, I said at the time it sounded like more muscle, less fat.

Has anyone tried the difference between HicapDR and TeddyCapIII with Supernait2?
Thank you
Damiano

I no longer have a SN2 but had one for a year first on its own then HicapDrd. Then back to no ps. I honestly believe the SN2 is perfect with no additional Ps. I certainly can't say there is 1200 quid of improvement.

I added the DualTC to my Nait XS and I found a big improvment but now I'm thinking to replace my XS with the SN2 and I do not know if the DTC can be well used also for SN2 or sold to increase my "wallet" for the SN2!

I am sure that it would be easy to find a naim dealership which will loan a hicap dr to You .

I found the HCDR to be a really good improvement on the XS, but when i moved to the SN2 i found that although it improved that too, it did it to a lesser degree and didn't justify itself quite so well, so i sold it. The one area you might benefit however is bass, where you say the SN2 can overwhelm in your room, as this region is cleaned up a little with the inclusion of the HCDR.

More muscle, less fat fits pretty well, I have the SN2 with TeddyCap. In addition, I found that the TC brings more transparency and sparkle to the highs (more things HiFi).

I found something cheaper that to my ears sounded better and could control my speakers better.But it's still a lovely amp.But for £2800 I wanted my socks blown off and it just did not do it.

I found something cheaper that to my ears sounded better and could control my speakers better.But it's still a lovely amp.But for £2800 I wanted my socks blown off and it just did not do it.

What was the amp? Feel free to PM if you don't want to mention here.

advertisement

Back