advertisement

Super Reg Group Buy

I received an identical file from you in August. Am I right in saying that there have been no changes since then?

Sorry for all the confusion,
Carl

Code:
bash-3.00$ ls -l alwsr-2.9-manual.pdf ALWSR_rev2.9_iss009.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 carl carl 855158 Aug 17 10:11 alwsr-2.9-manual.pdf
-rw-r--r--  1 carl carl 855158 Nov 29 19:08 ALWSR_rev2.9_iss009.pdf

bash-3.00$ md5sum ALWSR_rev2.9_iss009.pdf alwsr-2.9-manual.pdf
33a01542ca57c27fa0d8dff76eaaa33a  ALWSR_rev2.9_iss009.pdf
33a01542ca57c27fa0d8dff76eaaa33a  alwsr-2.9-manual.pdf

md5 checksum eh? Flash sod :)

Hacking hi-fi is not a science! it's emotion, passion, imagination - you can't quantise it!

Nick

To Andy or Everyone else who is willing to anser:

I am new here, so hello to everyone. I am from Italy but I live in London now. I tried to get into all the posts but it is impossible to get all the answers, most the basics.

My psu for the 42.5 is now a two rails with R-core trafos and Kendeill caps (22,000uF) on each side. I want to add regulators, regulators.

My basic question are:

1. is it possible to buy suepereg already assembled somewhere? If yes, how much is it?

2. if 1. is not possible, is it possibe at least to find the boards. I don't know how to produce a boards. In this case how much is it?

Thanks to everyone
KEPha

Prefered hifi record last 30 days: Pink Floyd, "The Wall".

I can help, drop me a mail on alweekes AT beeb DOT net.

I received an identical file from you in August. Am I right in saying that there have been no changes since then?

I think you might have answered your own question ;-)

(Yes, you are right!)

Andy.

Hi,

What is the maximum output current that SR can give (for instance on +12V)?

Is that mostly depending only on D44H Q1?

BR//spavleski

What is the maximum output current that SR can give (for instance on +12V)?

Is that mostly depending only on D44H Q1?

Max continuous current is 1.5A (limited by the pre-regulator).

Actual peak current in a short-circuit condition (which the reg's will sustain, given suitable thermal consideration) is probably closer to 2-2.2A, again depending upon the pre-reg.

So, you might think "If I use a higher current pre-reg, I can get higher current?".

Unfortunately not :(

The pass device (Q1) is more than capable of the extra current, but since the current in the collector - emitter circuit is controlled by the current at the base of the device, this becomes the inherent limitation.

The current source (D1 / R1 / T1) provides the current to drive the base. In operation excess current is sunk away from the base of Q1, via D2 / R5 / T2, controlled by the error-amp.

So to increase max current o/p you would have to increase the current from the current source (change R1), but then you would find that under no-load conditions (when a tiny current is all that's needed to Q1) the excess current would have to be sunk via D2 / T2.

Depending upon operating voltages etc the max power dissipation of T2 could be exceeded, resulting in failure. It's already close to max Pd, with no load, when running at higher o/p V's currently, the existing values have been chose as best compromise between regulator performance parameters and the 0% failure rate I have on installed and working regulators ;)

So, you can increase it, but your on your own in terms of working out device dissipations etc., which will be very educational for you, if you wish to look at it.

The other alternative is to make the o/p stage a Darlington, but again you'll be in uncharted territory for this design!

Regards,

Andy.

There's no need for this to be sticky anymore, so we'll let it drift off gently...

Thanks again to all those that participated, alw Audio's charity pot is much bigger this year as a result, good sounds and good deeds how's that for a combination!

Andy.

Andy, some of the posts in this thread have made useful reference material, especially the experiences of those working with -ve & 5V boards.

How about creating a SuperReg thread in the FAQ section?

Hi Dears,

I will build a new psu with Andy's SRs and R-core centertapped trafo. I was thinking now to caps. I have to supply my Nac 42.5 on the hicap socket.

I heard about Kendeill and BCH and also about Siemens Sikorel. My questions are:

(i) which cap does what? I mean they seems all good enough, but what are the differences in terms of music/sound?

(ii) how much uF do I need for optimal performances?

(iii) What is better: using one big cap or more caps in parallel?

Please let me know,
KEPha

Andy

Thanks very much for all your efforts in the Group Buy. Should keep a whole group of bodgers from their Xmas shopping this year. Which will it be, board stuffing or turkey stuffing??

I was just wondering what the supply situation is on the -ve Super Regs. Will I have to wait for the next group buy for a couple?? Blame it on all that talk of a split rail Naim pre based on a 62/72.

Thanks again.

John

Folks,

Just a little note as I work away at my SRs.

Where I am using 47uF Silmics, I am putting Neoprene 'O' rings under them to allow the lead spacing to be brought down to 3.5mm without strain on the leads.

An internal diameter of 7mm works well. You can compress the 'O' ring as you solder, and I hope this helps suppress that vibration induced nois/distortion we discussed a while back.

John.Luckins I will be interested in your implementation of a Split rail pre. Don't be shy.

David

I don't have an implementation of the split rail pre yet. I was going to build an Air Guitar iste pre but when I read that the Naim 552 was basically a 62/72 circuit with a split rail to reduce earth currents, just as they do in the NAP 500, then I was interested. What I really want is a schematic of a 552 to strip down to its bear essentials and examine the differences between it and earlier designs.

Meanwhile the best I can do is implement the split rail on a basic 62/72 circuit. I will do this if I have to. As ever I'm sure they way in which the power rails are regulated will be critical. In my view this should be better than the earth/0v regulation that is suggested elsewhere.

Anyone have a 552 they wouldn't mind me photographing the inside of, or even a 552 schematic?

John

advertisement

Back