advertisement

Sunday Fun Favourite Guitarists

I’d second the Ry Cooder suggestion- saw him live a few years ago with Nick Lowe and he was brilliant

also the first two iterations of Wishbone Ash twin lead guitars - Andy Powell/ Ted Turner and then Andy P / Laurie Wisefield.

and Lowell George...

Diz Disley, not just because he was a family friend who used to come round with loads of other musicians and play jazz with my father all night when I was a kid, not just because I liked him and the pleasure he got from playing, but just a little bit 'cos he got my 13 year old sister to carry a plastic tub over to Spain, which when opened by customs was found to be full of worms, causing massive embarrassment to aforementioned sister who was so annoying.

And, before anyone asks, worms were part of his master plan to change the desert wastelands of Almeria into a lush and verdant food producing place. Long before plastic arrived.

Goodness there are so many - these come to mind

Hendrix, Neil Young, Grant Green, Curtis Mayfield, Nels Cline, Bill Frisell, Kenny Burrell, Ira Kaplin, Christian Fennesz, Marc Ribot

The most recent I find fascinating is Mary Halvorson partly because she doesn't look anything like a guitarist, even when playing. What she plays is quite magical and the nearest to rewriting the language of the instrument i know

Last edited:

advertisement

Back