advertisement

Sun 0))) Earth Om Sleep etc...

I cannot add anything to this save for SEE Sunn O))) LIVE!

Its like having your internal organs rearrange by sound.
...and bring earplugs. They are the loudest band I have ever seen.

I'd agree. Sunn 0))) I listen to fairly infrequently at home, but live they are an incredible experience. I was thinking lightweights when I saw some of the crowd wearing earplugs, but soon realised why. The sheer physical force of sound is almost overwhelming, more like some kind of religious observance than a gig, especially with the man-tree-god guy.

Boris? They've done loads of stuff. Some, like Pink, is pretty standard heavy metal fare, but Absolutego, in particular, is amazing. A one hour long piece of mind expanding, and very loud, drone rock.

Sunn O))) sound okay for feedback sludge, I've just downloaded their Oracle EP. Not so sure about the hooded cloaks though, makes them look a bit naff.

Jack

dunno, the cloaks looked pretty cool when they were on stage playing behind the giant neon green pagan tree god bloke. and then the hooded evil monks had a fight and one of them landed in a pile of about 12 amps. that was good.

dunno, the cloaks looked pretty cool when they were on stage playing behind the giant neon green pagan tree god bloke. and then the hooded evil monks had a fight and one of them landed in a pile of about 12 amps. that was good.

I was at that gig - I think it was just a shove and a couple of double stacks went over backwards. There had been some tension with one of the electronics guys earlier in the set but it was far from clear what had transpired. The 'pagan tree guy' definitely falls into the category of 'a bit much'. He seemed to have a personal supply of dry ice being fed through his costume. Good growling though and insanely loud.

Yep - the cloaks are very cool. And very metal.

If I was in Sunn o))) I'd go for the full corpsepaint look I think :)

I was at that gig - I think it was just a shove and a couple of double stacks went over backwards. There had been some tension with one of the electronics guys earlier in the set but it was far from clear what had transpired. The 'pagan tree guy' definitely falls into the category of 'a bit much'. He seemed to have a personal supply of dry ice being fed through his costume. Good growling though and insanely loud.

I'd completely missed any tension with the electronics guy (possibly in the midst of the tension which grows automatically with constant playing for an hour and a half). The first I got of it was when the set finished, and one of the monks appeared to dive for the other. The funniest bit though was the look on the security guard's face as he got up on the stage to look at the monk lying on the amps, clearly thinking 'i'm not helping any evil monks up...'

I like Om. Sunn O))) just make me laugh, although this is not because I don't like them, it's because the whole thing is hilarious.

Less heavy, but Bardo Pond make excellent stoner rock.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back