advertisement

Sun 0))) Earth Om Sleep etc...

Bring the sludge!

Earths second album, Earth 2 "the super low frequency version" is the peak of this for me.

Also Goatsnake, Isis, Titan, Boris, KTL, Thrones, and if you like it a bit more power electronics / noise with Guitars, Skullflower, Ramleh, M.T.T, Controlled Bleeding

You will be on to Merzbow next !

DS

ITCCC - Robert Hood - Minimal Nation

Sunn O))) are actually pretty varied. Early records stress the ultra slow Sabbath end of Metal, quite simple, lots of low end and identifiable in it's influences (principally Earth). Later stuff veers much more towards noise rock and employs electronics (Oren Ambarchi), scandinavian Death Metal vocalists (Attila Csihar of Mayhem) and some very open ended compositions. Live, they are 'a bit much'. Look on You Tube for the 2007 ATP performance... Get 'Black One'.

Earth's recent output has been very 'clean' sounding. Heading towards a sort of 'ambient-drone-country' music. I think it's very good and the latest LP is representative.

Om are simply awesome live. Albini has done his best to capture it for the Pilgrimage record but those kind of frequencies rebn't really possible in the home. Sounds like 'set the controls for the heart of the sun' played at 16rpm for half an hour. Ace.

Boris. IMO totally over-rated. Nothing like the other bands on this list. Bad 70s rock played by amateurs. Not heard the collaboration with Sunn but i though Pink was nonsense.

Only my opinions but happy listening

= John

I was confused when I bought an Earth record - I got The Bees Made Honey in the Skull (or something like that) and was expecting something really heavy but it's not heavy in the slightest, proggy blues sounding stuff from what I remember. Good, but not what I thought it would be.
I think Amplifier Workshop by Boris is worth having for the first track. The rest of it isn't up to much, but the first track kicks ass. A bit like Melvins records, generally naff but with one or two tracks that rock like bastards.

I really didn't like Pink til I saw them live, then I started digging it way more. I do love the sludge of sunn0))) but the very specific mood i need to be in to listen to it doesn't come up often whereas boris and om (conference of the birds is awesome) are more, uh, listenable.

I like this kind of music, what I've heard of it anyway. To the artists/albums already mentioned here, I'll add

Six Organs of Admittance – The Sun Awakens

and

Neil Young — Dead Man OST (wherein Neil proceeds to out-doom the whole lot of them; listen here)

Both of these represent an acoustic flavor of sludge that I find particularly swell.

Some more options:

On the aforementioned proggy 70s side of life: Mammatus - The Coast Explodes
For good ol' Sabbath-style toxic riffage: Fu Manchu - We Must Obey
Sweet melodic drudge w/ "Cookie Monster" vocal: Mouth of the Architect - Time and Withering

Or, for the sonic equivalent of Pat Metheny assaulting a guitar/piano/drum combo with Kenny G's severed head (all in a high art fashion, with what sounds like occasional rounds of belly belching from Queensryche's Geoff Tate), try: Orthodox - Amanecer en Puerta Oscura.

I play this last one more often (and louder) than is probably healthy.

Ok last one:

5ive - Hesperus

Starts to approach the (IMO) creative noisemaking of Boris, but not as experimental. Might make the wife and kids look at you funny, but probably won't genuinely frighten them.

Sleep's Jerusalem and (not 'The,' annoyingly) Melvins' Lysol are the two big stoner metal masterpieces of unending dirging powerchord that I'm aware of.

The guitar sound on the former, allegedly from 8 Orange heads in series, is like the oceans being drained into the Earth. The latter's is more like Haley's Comet smashing through Saturn's rings.

Essentially, Jerusalem is a smoother, more chocolaty and smoothering expereince, whereas Lysol is eerier and artier, with some bloody good drumming too.

The seminal Melvins album is, for me, Ozma.

This was the 'classic' line up; Matt Lukin from Mudhoney played bass on Gluey Porch Treatments, but by the time of Ozma, he had been replaced by Lori Black, who was just totally ****ing amazing (I never liked Mudhoney)

Ozma may not be the most sludgy 'stoner' album - it's positively fast at times - but there isn't a wasted second on it.

The 'OM' albums are probably the most accessible, and a good place to start. Pilgrimage is strangely reminiscent of 'interstellar overdrive' by Pink Floyd...

Martin.

I cannot add anything to this save for SEE Sunn O))) LIVE!

Its like having your internal organs rearrange by sound.
...and bring earplugs. They are the loudest band I have ever seen.

you are weird , the loudest band you've seen ...:) ....(hows the turbine)
This thread has got me interested , I'll go look on you tube ..ta

Sunn O))) sound okay for feedback sludge, I've just downloaded their Oracle EP. Not so sure about the hooded cloaks though, makes them look a bit naff.

A band that I saw quite a lot in the '80s was Swans. They were very slow and extremely heavy together with arty but sick singing and lyrics by Michael Gira.

Try Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money or Children of God/World of Skin.

In a different vein but nicely stoner are Sleep. Their Dopesmoker and Holy Mountain albums are both pretty good ... Uhhhh, I've just discovered that Om's drummer and bass-player used to be in Sleep ... I'll have to try downloading one of their albums.

Jack

Sunn O))) sound okay for feedback sludge, I've just downloaded their Oracle EP. Not so sure about the hooded cloaks though, makes them look a bit naff.

A band that I saw quite a lot in the '80s was Swans. They were very slow and extremely heavy together with arty but sick singing and lyrics by Michael Gira.

Try Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money or Children of God/World of Skin.

In a different vein but nicely stoner are Sleep. Their Dopesmoker and Holy Mountain albums are both pretty good.

Jack

Been there seen the Swans at 'The Town and Country' as it was then in the 80's around the 'Children of God' time...only gig I have ever been to where the boys in blue pulled the plug because it was too loud!

LOUD wasn't in it...besides the usual gut churning and ears hissing afterwards it had the singular effect of making my face go numb!

Paul

Blimey, I was there as well. I interviewed them a couple of times.

I am starting to think the reason I am half deaf in one ear is down to Swans.

It makes finding the right balance on my hi-fi system a little difficult.

Jack

That's an interesting diversion from Sunn (((((O))))) To Swans.

I think the Swans are brutal more than sludge, but there are similar attitudes. Michael Gira, like Earth have gone a bit post-folk acoustic too.

DS

advertisement

Back