advertisement

Suggestions for classic bookshelf speakers?

you could try Linn Tukans they sound nothing like Kans by the way but I am using them with Ion/Linn amps and they sound pretty good and are quite neat to look at.

I'd also have a look at the KEF Ref 103.2, honest to god such an amazing little speaker.

I personally don't think you'd find any new speaker that can match them at the price they sell for second hand and still hold their own next to others costing a lot more.

A great sealed box speaker that's quite unobtrusive, you won't be pointing your finger at it thinking I'm listening to a speaker or oh I can hear the tweeter but just present you the music. Obviously it won't shake the walls, it's only a 8" driver in a sealed box but the way it presents the music doesn't leave you thinking that you're missing out on something.
You can pick details in a mix really easily especially how instruments are panned, more so than other speakers I've had.

If you are not going to use stands, have a look at the original front ported Rogers LS2. A 'bookshelf' that actually sounds alright on a shelf'. It excels at low volume listening but can become wayward when driven hard.

Not to be confused with the later LS2a (same box, metal tweeter, different B110 poly mid/bass) it has the same spec on the back label but couldn't sound more different(dry and very light on bass).

Thanks everyone. I am noting all of the suggestions and looking out on ebay and PFM.

My latest mad idea is to maybe buy 2 x B110 and 2 x T27 and put them in a secondhand KEF cabinet. I can't afford the "BBC" variants of either driver but I presume I could try to source other variants, and then fit them into a secondhand Cresta cabinet or similar?
(Martyn has inspired me, but he knows what he is doing)

There's a pair of Tangent RS2 on ebay that you might want to take a gander at as they might fit the bill. As far as I have read they use the same driver/xovers as the bigger RS4. I have some RS4's and have been extremely impressed with them, very much the same sort of character as some of the domestic Rogers I've tried of that era. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they (the RS4's at least) were deliberately voiced to be similar to the ls3/5a. They use the Kef T27 and an Audax mid/bass.

Anyway, just a thought, they're currently at 60 quid which seems mighty cheap given how good I expect them to sound (I have no connection with the seller btw).

I've been very pleasantly surprised by a pair of Celestion SL6S. These are the second generation where the original copper dome tweeters were replaced with aluminium and hence don't have the rolled off top end of the first generation. Being 84db/w they might be a bit hard work for an A&R A60 though. They're beautifully made though.

There's a pair of Tangent RS2 on ebay

I shared a flat with a friend who had some Tangent SPL-1s - they were amazing speakers for their time with incredibly precise imagery. When he moved out I missed them so much I nearly bought a pair myself.

I thought I should close this thread off with an update what where I am now with this. I have an old pair of Castle Warwick speakers that I am enjoying, little on the big side but I like them.
The bigger project is this though, following extensive ebay sniping I have acquired:
1 x working pair of Kef Concertos
1 x matched pair of Kef B110 SP1003 (seller 'threw in' a pair of cross-overs as well)
1 x matched pair of Kef T27
1 x pair of Kef Coda cabinets with cross-overs (no drivers)

Somewhere in there is a project for the winter, and I new thread or two :)
Cheers
Paul

advertisement

Back