advertisement

Suggestions for affordable battleship CD players?

Marantz CD10 or 17 were always on my list of battleship players to buy when the price was right.

I really like my CD17. Never heard or saw a CD10 in a couple of years of looking.

CD17s though are common. There was a variant - I think called the CD17D - which added digital in allowing use as a DAC. I always rather fancied one of those. Who wouldn't want to get their favourite battleship sound from streaming as well as CDs?

Did the digital in feature ever become common on CD players? Anyone know?

If it helps, I can tell you that my Sony CDP 227 circa 1998 which uses the KSS 151A mech is still working perfectly today, I imagine that its more expensive variants, have fared similarly well.

Mind you my even older Philips CD 150 works fine too!

I have a 1983-vintage Philips CD303 that was completely functional when I got it out of storage, acclimatized it and tried it out a couple of years ago. The evidence was that it needed the electrolytic capacitors replaced, but "battleship-built"? For sure.

I’ve had both the Denon DVD3910 and 3930 players over the years which both had bullet proof construction as well as a great sound. They pop up occasionally and worth consideration.

Is the Sony 337ES considered battleship I know some have described it as merely consumer grade
It is in the second tier. It doesn't have the absolutely TOTL build quality of the CDP-555esd, 557esd, X7esd and CDP-R1/DAS-R1 but by any other standard it is most certainly a 'battleship'.

For example the CDP-555esd was an absolutely TOTL player, as was the 557esd.

To add to the confusion the 555esd and 557esd were sold as the 705esd and 707esd respectively in some markets.

+1

cdp557esd was their top of the range player - in Japan and in the US it was sold as 707esd model. Many people don't get it and think of cdp557esd as a middle model from the ES series, which is why the prices haven't skyrocketed yet, like basicly all 7-series models.

I really like my CD17. Never heard or saw a CD10 in a couple of years of looking.

CD17s though are common. There was a variant - I think called the CD17D - which added digital in allowing use as a DAC. I always rather fancied one of those. Who wouldn't want to get their favourite battleship sound from streaming as well as CDs?

Did the digital in feature ever become common on CD players? Anyone know?
I had a Sugden Masterclass Series 1 CD player that had a digital input. My earliest experiments with playing digital audio files from a computer started there. It was a good CD player too.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back