advertisement

Subwoofers , 1 or 2 for ambient detail.

Folkman

pfm Member
Cant seem to find any answers to my specific question so looking for any insight ....

Assuming a dedicated room , fully treated with acoustic panels.
Am not looking for more bass as such.
Added a subwoofer and after trial and error [nearly gave up !] came up with the position shown. Now I have a more extended bass , still tight and with greater impact. But the real gains , which I was hoping for , have been in a more open sound with better scale , presence and focus through the mid and top end.

So , will adding a second sub , improve these further , without increasing the bass.

Room picture showing setup..

EPpRneIl.jpg

I experimented with first one then two subs, I did prefer 2, there will be added output but only a few dB.
The biggest gain will properly integrating your subs, perhaps a small MiniDSP processor.
Keith

I feel there was better balance to the sound with two , the real gains come with proper integration.
Keith

I found with one sub centrally placed that the handoff was too obvious as it was occurring at frequencies which were still somewhat directional. Am keen to try two which would do away with this issue.

Sounds like you are running you sub fairly high in frequency / volume.

In my setup , the sub is run at 60hz and a very low volume , such that it is not position detectable.

Getting its position right was the main hurdle , settings came easy then.

The sub is down firing but I had to elevate it and have it on its side , with rear firing , to be completely satisfied with the sound.

Im just wondering about gains v losses of adding another sub. Guess the only real way will be to try.

There are many opposing views on positioning subs , some say if using two they should be as near the main speakers as possible , others say that is the worst place for them.

I do not want/need any more bass , just the added side effects as in original posting.

Thanks Rodney , that's what I needed to know.

Guess I will be looking for another matching sub !

I found with one sub centrally placed that the handoff was too obvious as it was occurring at frequencies which were still somewhat directional. Am keen to try two which would do away with this issue.

I also initially had this problem with a single SVS front-firing sub that I'd placed dead center between two stand mount PMC twenty.21; the placement proved problematic with blending - or disappearing - the sub. Also, the front firing sub didn't do much for me with bass drums or any lows requiring some impact.

Research led me to try a down-firing HSU VTF sub, and after a consult and purchase, I tried one of their subs very near my sitting position after the crawl placement thing. This made a world of difference. Moving the single sub away from between the mains and closer to me was huge.

I finally ended up matching the other HSU sub and placing one in each corner of a somewhat live room using treatment to both isolate them from the floor (wood) and de-couple them from the corners as much as possible. It's not too expensive with a little creativity. I can't imagine going back to a single sub now. People who've heard the system in this room say the same thing: "how do those little speakers sound so full?" The subs are literally and figuratively invisible.

Are you guys saying two different subs can be used with good results ?

So I could revert my little Rega 2-way into a true 4-way system ?

I allready have two BK subs (xls200 + 400) in two different setups, could be nice to move them together, never had that thought before TBH

Those subs are really quality UK made stuff
I have allready success pairing the little sub into a Rega setup. (Right in between the two stand mounts)

Are you guys saying two different subs can be used with good results ?

So I could revert my little Rega 2-way into a true 4-way system ?

I allready have two BK subs (xls200 + 400) in two different setups, could be nice to move them together, never had that thought before TBH

Those subs are really quality UK made stuff
I have allready success pairing the little sub into a Rega setup. (Right in between the two stand mounts)

Agreed, I have two XXLS400 and think they're superb value for money!

advertisement

Back