advertisement

Sub high or low level input

So you’re actually stating that REL are talking bollox, it’s laughable you think that you know better than one of the oldest Sub manufacturers in the UK (1990) about how to connect up the product they make and have sold for 32 years.

I don't expect you or anyone else to think anything other than that. It's still bollox and I'm still right though.
As I keep banging on about, almost everything said about hi fi by magazines, manufacturers and dealers is a pack of lies designed to part the gullible from their money. Hi fi has become EXACTLY like the cosmetics industry...

You do know that if you dip your cables in my knew alo vera extract cable balm it increases information transparency transfer coefficient by 37.8%? Only £400 a tube 'n all. Guaranteed to produce whatever results you imagine it does and if you can't tell any difference well these things are highly subjective and some don't have the musical perspicacity and sensitivity to enjoy the full benefit.

Terms and conditions apply 8 out of 10 cats said their owners prefer it no refunds.

I don't expect you or anyone else to think anything other than that. It's still bollox and I'm still right though.
As I keep banging on about, almost everything said about hi fi by magazines, manufacturers and dealers is a pack of lies designed to part the gullible from their money. Hi fi has become EXACTLY like the cosmetics industry...

You do know that if you dip your cables in my knew alo vera extract cable balm it increases information transparency transfer coefficient by 37.8%? Only £400 a tube 'n all. Guaranteed to produce whatever results you imagine it does and if you can't tell any difference well these things are highly subjective and some don't have the musical perspicacity and sensitivity to enjoy the full benefit.

Terms and conditions apply 8 out of 10 cats said their owners prefer it no refunds.
You get the high level cable for free with every REL subwoofer - your logic falls down about it being profit gouging. They could have saved a shed load of money by not including one over the last 30 years.

Not sure what lip gloss and foundation you’re using so can’t comment on whether you’re getting ripped off.

You get the high level cable for free with every REL subwoofer - your logic falls down about it being profit gouging. They could have saved a shed load of money by not including one over the last 30 years.

Not sure what lip gloss and foundation you’re using so can’t comment on whether you’re getting ripped off.

It's just SO now and So me!:D

So you’re actually stating that REL are talking bollox, it’s laughable you think that you know better than one of the oldest Sub manufacturers in the UK (1990) about how to connect up the product they make and have sold for 32 years.

To be fair, they’re still telling you to put your sub in the corner of the room, so they still have a long way to go…

BK Electronics advocate high level input use too, here’s the manual I have with mine:

04559941-8-B22-4-E87-9648-82-CF4551-D891.jpg

BK Electronics advocate high level input use too, here’s the manual I have with mine:

04559941-8-B22-4-E87-9648-82-CF4551-D891.jpg
Not unusual for well established sub manufactures to recommend High Level when a Sub is going to be used in a Stereo Hi Fi environment.

REL are not alone in recommending corner/semi corner placement, a couple smallish outfits - Steinway Lyngdorf and Martin Logan for example

Got a monster rel stentor to integrate, this thread is as confusing as any ‘discussion’ on other contentious subjects.
Esp when it takes a sack truck to move the bugger.

Got a monster rel stentor to integrate, this thread is as confusing as any ‘discussion’ on other contentious subjects.
Esp when it takes a sack truck to move the bugger.
Choose - follow RELs advice or follow advice from random folk on an Internet forum. If you haven't already, consider using electronic methods to integrate said Sub - MiniDSP or Antimode DSpeaker for example.

...consider using electronic methods to integrate said Sub - MiniDSP or Antimode DSpeaker for example.
How does this square with the advice to connect the high level inputs on the subs to the speaker outputs on your power amp? AFAIK miniDSP boxes do not offer high level inputs or outputs?

How does this square with the advice to connect the high level inputs on the subs to the speaker outputs on your power amp? AFAIK miniDSP boxes do not offer high level inputs or outputs?
It’s a totally different method more akin to an AV system, many are still loathe to use any sort of digital EQ, just like the no tone control mantra from the ‘80s, in which case the High Level is what REL and others recommend.

I use both methods as and when appropriate.

The REL method works. It’s not the only way but as Amber pointed out, they include the high level cable FOC. I find it easier to integrate. Nothing wrong with line level either but their pushing of this method has sod all to do with profit.

Anyway, ahem, I have a very high quality REL sub for sale in the classifieds, should anyone be interested.

I've only ever tried the 'high level' connection from amplifier binding posts to the sub , no issues with getting the sub to integrate with the main speakers. My sub is from the same series as my speakers though based on a REL design.
None of the equipment I have owned has came with a line level dedicated sub output, my current pre only has a pair of pre-outs, in general I would have thought it would be mainly AV receivers or processors that are equipped with line level sub out RCA and the normal or established way to connect a sub was from the 'high level' binding posts output to the sub for stereo music systems.

I've only ever tried the 'high level' connection from amplifier binding posts to the sub , no issues with getting the sub to integrate with the main speakers. My sub is from the same series as my speakers though based on a REL design.
None of the equipment I have owned has came with a line level dedicated sub output, my current pre only has a pair of pre-outs, in general I would have thought it would be mainly AV receivers or processors that are equipped with line level sub out RCA and the normal or established way to connect a sub was from the 'high level' binding posts output to the sub for stereo music systems.
Sub out on hifi amplifiers is a relatively new thing - mainly the convergence of AV and Stereo with the inclusion of DACs and the popularity of the All in Ones like NAD/Lyngdorf/Naim Super Uniti 30 odd years ago High Level connection would have been the only sensible way to add a Sub to a stereo for most consumers.

You could argue that providing a connection method that you can use on any amp (no sub or pre outs) is all about selling more subs
You could indeed and that’s fair enough. To accuse them of profit gouging though is a bit daft given that the other mode of connection is available regardless, though. When REL started selling subs there weren’t many on the market and home cinema wasn’t nearly as popular as it is now. Very different times. There’s not really much need any longer to provide a high level connection, I’d argue.

advertisement

Back