advertisement

Stylus pics from usb microscope

cooky1257

pfm Member
After recently swapping out my Goldring 1042 for an AT33EV I thought I'd inspect the stylus before maybe moving it on, it's been on an LP12 unused for the past 5 years and only has 150 hrs on it max.

Interesting pics, the chisel shaped Giger profile is easily resolved.

First one:

51398314220_4838d6bd2b.jpg

and after a good clean;

51398042004_0bd2fda5c7_c.jpg

Not bad for a £20 scope.

Just noticed theres an entire thread of 'em here;https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=577.285

Last edited:
Good for inspecting damage but not for inspecting wear which needs darkness and a strong pinpoint light from above looking down on the stylus to spot the 'cats eyes'. The wider the eyes on the sides which trace the groove walls, the more wear and pro' machines exist for the purpose of which Peak Hifi for instance has one. Cracking pics though.

Impressive, though I struggle with a usb device when trying to image the leading part of the stylus. I find that due to the focal distance it’s not possible to get a shot along the axis as you have here for the trailing part. This is because when viewing the stylus from the other direction the cartridge body can clash with the scope body. I find a loupe a bit easier but I don’t get the magnification I need.

You reckon? I think the rounded side vs flat side is obvious. Don't you?

Obvious...Just the very tip traces the groove and I'm not sure how wear would great a curve-(it's a Gyger profile),a flat yes, but not a curve. That said it does look to have a curve to one side.

Which usb microscope were these with?

impressive for 20.00!

Amazon cheap China 50x-500x job.

In that first shot it looks remarkably like a Posidriv bit that has been hammered through an aluminium pipe.

I wouldn't worry about the relative sizes of the major flats, as those areas are well up out of the groove. The side that appears rounded along the back edge is the larger of the two 'rear' flank flats (i.e. 'rear' wrt groove travel). The larger one simply spent a bit more time on one side vs. the other during the initial major facet grinding.

Last edited:
I bought this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGS7TNZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

and it alleges 40-1000x magnification. I’m not sure how I can get anything like 1000x out of it. Also the laptop screen seems to be limiting resolution so I emailed an image to my iPad which was far better. Anyone tried linking computer to an HD TV ?
Older cart,
F9y5kXp.jpg

new cart,
ofRmEDr.jpg

BrGXKSs.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back