advertisement

Stylus force gauge

I have one of the inexpensive electronic balances and a Shure SFG-2, which I bought in the 70s, and they give consistent results.

Scroll down a few pages to...

Looking to buy one of these from Amazon. Prices are all over the place and many look the same. Recommendations welcome. More interested in an accurate easy to use unit than a cheap offering.

I find a Chinese electronic one off eBay for a tenner or so few years ago does all I need

The cheapest one - I'd bet that there are only one or two Chinese factories making them, only the colour and the badge on them changes.

I was thinking of the one made but ortofon not the electronic ones ,cheap skate I no lol

…they’re total shite. Set your tonearm to balance at perfect parallility and then dial in the minimum recommended force to start with, and move on from there. (Don’t forget to add your anti-skating after!…)
The reason they’re shite is; they don’t weigh in after parallility at the stylus contact point….your tonearm can be landing in at any angle when it hits the weighing pad on these gauges….
Parallility!!! I understand shite but what language is that?

Parallility!!! I understand shite but what language is that?
Change that first 'i' to an 'e' and then it is an English word that refers to the condition of being parallel.

The Scottish translation would be 'hurkle-durkle', as in, Set your tonearm to hurkle-durkle on the plinth.

Change that first 'i' to an 'e' and then it is an English word that refers to the condition of being parallel.

The Scottish translation would be 'hurkle-durkle', as in, Set your tonearm to hurdle-durkle on the plinth.
Thanks. Now I understand. It’s like paralytic! Something else the Scots understand, being horizontal.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back