advertisement

Stylus for Shure M95ED

Weeman1973

Big Country Member
I want to use a Shure M95ED Cartridge I have on a Thorens TD160 (original arm) I'm hoping to get soon.

The cartridge has an aftermarket stylus currently (not sure of brand but it came from Stylus Store) which is a very loose fit so I'm looking for something better.

Anyone got any recommendations they can share please? I would love a Jico SAS but out my budget and also I feel perhaps a bit overkill on the arm / deck anyway.

I'd like to steer clear of the £20 regular ones you see on eBay but I have seen a Thakker one for about £65 that looks interesting .

Thanks in advance.

Anyone’s guess! It’s a minefield out there, loads of really nasty stuff that ‘fits’ but isn’t a M95ED in any real sense. The original was a nice nude-mounted elliptical tip, as I understand it most of the replacements are not (i.e. are shank mounted). Jico do make a non-SAS stylus (link), which should be decent. I’d drop them an email and see if they can confirm the spec. Other than that I’d just give up and buy another current cart (Nagaoka, AT, Grado, Ortofon or whatever). If you want to stick with Shure you could probably track down an M97XE, it’s been deleted now, but only a few years ago, though it looks like people are price-gouging (it used to be about £75 IIRC, now about £200!).

PS If it was mine and I was on a budget I’d buy a Nagaoka MP-110 and then maybe later upgrade the stylus to a 150. They have a similar warmth to the Shures and aren’t ultra-picky about loading the way Ortofons, ATs etc can be.

I have a used Shure M75 ED Type2 cartridge with a brand new Jico stylus which cost £65. You can have it for £50 plus £4 postage if you want? I'll also include the original stylus, the Jico box and another Shure M75 6S cartridge I don't have a use for.

PS If it was mine and I was on a budget I’d buy a Nagaoka MP-110 and then maybe later upgrade the stylus to a 150. They have a similar warmth to the Shures and aren’t ultra-picky about loading the way Ortofons, ATs etc can be.

Thanks Tony, that was going to be my other option.

I have an MP11 cartridge with a tired stylus. Do you know if an MP110 or 150 stylus will fit my MP11 cart?

I have an MP11 cartridge with a tired stylus. Do you know if an MP110 or 150 stylus will fit my MP11 cart?

Yes, you’d be fine there. As far as I’m aware all are interchangeable, though the top-end MP-30/300 and MP-50/500 use a slightly different body design (metal with bolts for the stylus). They will all fit and work though. It’s actually hard to work out what the differences between the old and new ranges are aside from colour!

advertisement

Back