advertisement

Stylus cleaner

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
my trusty Nagaoka 801 Hi-clean is running short. looking difficult to source in the Uk, any links please or alternative.

I've used the AudioTechnica 607 liquid for over thirty years. Never had a hint of a problem and you can see the diamond glint at you in the light afterwards.
There's something reassuring about using a product that's been around for so long and made by a cartridge manufacturer.

I've used the AudioTechnica 607 liquid for over thirty years. Never had a hint of a problem and you can see the diamond glint at you in the light afterwards.
There's something reassuring about using a product that's been around for so long and made by a cartridge manufacturer.
I use that too only occasionally though.

Don’t use it on linn Krystal
Did Lyra make the Krystal ?
RCM best way to clean you stylus . Remove dirt at source

Don’t use it on linn Krystal
Did Lyra make the Krystal ?
RCM best way to clean you stylus . Remove dirt at source
I don’t think so, I think problem started sometime in 2017 when snapped cantilever was reported in a few cases, Linn advised not to use Lyra SPT but green paper or dry US cleaner instead , probably Lyra liquid corroded cantilever as it’s just distilled water plus soap.

Fluids can weaken the bonding on the stylus/cantilever . Cleaning fluids & capillary action can migrate up the cantilever into generator/internals

Found the photo of Linn Krystal canti published elsewhere 😲:
lHik3Ig.jpg

quite a coincidence , have Linn replaced yours in the end?
It’s a long story but to sum it after 35 years of linn ownership and cartridges linn customer service know how to give you no customer service
Their 3 words to me were “out of warranty”
o_O

It’s a long story but to sum it after 35 years of linn ownership and cartridges linn customer service know how to give you no customer service
Their 3 words to me were “out of warranty”
o_O
I am not really surprised, I've had issues with their streamer which hasn't been resolved and by the look of it won't ever be, shame as I have been into Linn digital sources for some time but started looking elsewhere lately.

Moon gel cymbal damper works great
Humminguru do an interesting stylus downforce gauge / stylus cleaner.
I have the AT stylus cleaner

Same here, used sparingly for decades without issues. Helps if your LPs are kept clean so stylus doesn’t get crudded up.

AT637 vibrating cleaner here for over 40 years. Never the slightest issue. I use a drop of cleaner on the pad (never the stylus), either AT’s fluid or Nagaoka’s. I bought Nagaoka’s fluid after buying the MP-500 as it has to be safe on their bonded stylus to boron cantilever. I’ve never had a tip fall off anything. I’d not want to apply a liquid directly to a tip though.

PS That said way back in the late ‘70s I had the dreaded thoroughly discredited Lencoclean wet-play system on my GL75 for a while, and even with that I never had a stylus fall off. Made a crackly mess of the records that took a proper wet-vacuum clean decades later to really clean out. I still own a couple of records from that time and it does clean out, but it was a remarkably dumb idea.

advertisement

Back