advertisement

Stuff to do on a Saturday night in Manchester?

Rob998

Scimmia Nordoccidentale
There's loads of Mancs on here, so I expect something constructive ...

My girls are going to see The Vamps at the MEN tomorrow night (actually , looking at the time, tonight) and I am the Chauffeur, so can't have more than a couple of pints.

I'll be at a loose end for about 4 hours or so, from about 19:00 to 00:00.

Although I live not too far away, in Wigan, I don't know Manchester city centre too well, always preferred Liverpool, for obvious reasons ;)

So, I'm thinking nice, reasonably priced food , and possibly a pub with decent music within walking distance of the MEN.

TIA...

As a scouser (exiled) I’d suggest you just drive to Liverpool and have a good time. It only takes about 30 mins each way. It will save you having to shower when you get home.:)

The Band on the Wall normally has excellent live music. Nice pub next door and a very short trip to some excellent restaurants.

As a scouser (exiled) I’d suggest you just drive to Liverpool and have a good time. It only takes about 30 mins each way. It will save you having to shower when you get home.:)
Drive? See Bob's post...Also, if your car stereo is not integrated into the dash, that will also be also at risk.

Lol

Although the Band on the Wall looks interesting it doesn’t open until 10pm...

https://bandonthewall.org/events/mr-scruff-keep-unreal-12/

I’d suggest a walk up the Northern Quarter. It’s ages since I’ve spent an evening in Manchester (I’m an old fart from Wigan), but the bars around Deansgate used to get very noisy and very busy on a Saturday night, and I don’t imagine that’s changed.

According to a Manchurian friend of mine the perfect night out in Manchester involves "a curry, a f*** , and a fight".

I'm not sure in what order though.

Get on a train

The bloody trains are the reason I'm chauffeur. There's engineering works so it's a replacement bus service, and I'm not prepared to trust 4 teenagers to be organised enough to get the right bus home.

According to a Manchurian friend of mine the perfect night out in Manchester involves "a curry, a f*** , and a fight".

I'm not sure in what order though.

You missed out ten pints of strong lager - not a lot I know, but you seem to be describing a fairly quiet night.

Deansgate and Piccadilly Gardens to be avoided on a Saturday night....Northern Quarter not a bad call and Band-on-the-wall good...the deaf institute a good venue but will be sold out tonight...but I'd drive a couple of miles out to Chorlton; nicer crowd and food. Go to the Beach on Beach Road for a proper pint and have something to eat at the Tapas up the same road but if full (and it will be) 'Man bites frog' opposite bus station has fair food at very fair prices and a friendly mixed crowd.

Lol, it said tomorrow and was posted at 2am!!! Forensic examination of the thread suggests a quick edit might have been done

Northern Quarter is the best. Also down by the Shambles, although if you are chauffeuring, not much to do there apart from drink. Other alternatives are up to Rusholme for curry mile, China Town, or lots of good bars with eats in Castlefield down by the MOSI

Also.. IMexp, the trains from Manc to Wig NW on a Saturday can be a little .. err.. 'lively''

Indeed. Full of drunks in my experience - I used to refer to it as the “Alco Express”. There was one memorable occasion when a rather large chested young lady decided to show the carriage just how large chested she was.

The bars round the Northern Quarter will be no less busy than other areas mentioned, especially as it's such a nice day.

advertisement

Back