advertisement

stuck mirror - into the bin?

kasperhauser

pfm Member
We have been given a Pentax Super Program (US name for the Super A, or so it appears) that has a malfunctioning mirror. Just wondering if it's worth getting repaired or not. The sealing stuff against which the mirror "slaps" isn't sticky - it seems perfectly fine. In fact, if the mirror is manually moved back into its open position (it moves quite easily and freely), it pops back closed.

I admit, I love the smallness and lightness of it. Would be fun to learn to use, if it's worth messing with. It seems to have been highly thought of in its day:

The innovative Pentax Super Program wins the "European Compact Camera of the Year 1983-84" by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) for its technological perfection.

I had lots of fun with a Pentax ME Super (and a fully manual MX before that) and the lenses were very nice, especially the 50/1.4

I'm afraid if the mirror needs replacing you'll be probably best off ditching it and grabbing a replacement off ebay/wherever. It would probably be worth having a look at fixing it yourself though if it's just something that's slipped out having taken a knock.

Cesare

I had a similar problem on my old ME Super a few years ago. It was a return spring that had gone if my memory servers my right. Any qualified repairer should be able to sort it, but for a few squids/dollars more you may as well get it fully serviced (rubbers/seals/EV's etc..).

My ME Super is now 28 year sold and still going strong.

Thanks. I'll have a peek inside, but probably won't spend too much time on it. It's not like I know what I'm looking at anyway. There's a repair guy here locally that works very reasonably - I'll probably send it his way for an opinion.

It came with the middle lens pictured here. It works on my wife's other Pentax (P3), so all isn't lost. There's also a nifty looking autowinder thing. Probably ebay that.

Thanks again.

KH,

You might want to replace the battery and see if it behaves after that. I sent my MX and MESuper to Eric Hendrickson for CLAs after the mirror locked up on one. I think the cost for new seals and rubber bits, plus a good cleaning was ~$70/camera. If it's a minor fix it's included, plus he gives free estimates. Comes with a 6 month warranty too. Worth it to keep these lovely small pentaxes going IMO.

Dan

p.s. link here

advertisement

Back