advertisement

Streaming

kimmiles

pfm Member
OK: could I have a simple answer to a (fairly) simple question?
What is the easiest way to start streaming given that I am a bit of a dinosaur and have every analogue source going (cassette, r2r, fm tuner) and cd and vinyl; NO usb or whatever on my amp and I don't want a 10m cable going from my computer to my hifi (different rooms) - not that I could plug it in, anyway!!!
Also don't want to pay the huge prices going for devices to stream (thousands!!!) that seem to be talked about everywhere!!!
Many thanks

You will need a computer, and you will need to connect that computer to your system.
If you already have a dac, which doesn’t have a USB input you can buy an inexpensive usb/s/pdif converter.
If you don’t have a dac already practically all the modern ones have a USB input.
Keith

You’ll need a PC or Mac to stream the music from, then get as Rasberry Pi with a DAC, connect it to you system and begin enjoying more music :)

I think a Bluesound Node 2 should fit the bill. A self contained box that plugs into your hi-fi like any other source component (ie tuner, cassette deck), no wires to your pc, integrates with its own software and remote control apps to run on your phone or tablet. The Node2 will pick up music wirelessly stored anywhere on your network; if you want a box that also stores your music they have the Vault 2 - as well as playing music it also stores it and rips it from your cds.

We have a choice streamers with built-in DACs which can connect directly to your preamp or integrated amplifier. There are cheaper options available, starting with the aforementioned Raspberry Pi and DAC HAT, but if you are looking for something fuss free with great sound, the Auralic Aries Mini or the Bluesound Node 2 would be a good place to start. There are a couple of other things that you will need or might want. Whatever you choose will need to be connected to your network via either wired Ethernet or WiFi. You will almost certainly need a tablet or smartphone to select music and control the streamer. You might also want to consider subscribing to a music streaming service like TIDAL or Qobuz.

All you need is a Chromecast Audio and one of these leads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Kenable-00...ugs-1m-Cable-Gold/1023934881?iid=261666802576, you might need a Spotify premium account, can’t quite remember if a chromecast works without a premium account. The Chromecast is easy to set up, download app as per easy instructions onto either phone or tablet, then sign into Spotify and off you go. They’re currently £25, so no great expense to get streaming.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sonos, Bluesound, Chromecast, iThing - lots of options.

A Sonos Connect (maybe s/h) would likely be a good place to start for a dinosaur!

What sort of source quality will the streaming option be up against, and does it need to be roughly equivalent?

It's easy and relatively cheap. I did it and I'm a computer numpty.

Despite what was stated earlier you don't need a computer. I didn't want one but wanted to stream.

I can heartily recommend Bluesound. The Node will be fine but if you have a large CD collection and want to rip them then go for the Vault2.

I can also recommend that Strictly Stereo fella who was extremely helpful when I needed my hand holding.

I'm of a very similar age group as the OP i.e. 'dinosaur'.

I'd really rather not have to buy a PC or laptop. I've got a smartphone (Samsung S8) so that's one device sorted.

The Bluesound Vault II is looking very promising. I currently own an Linn Akurate CD player, Exotik pre amp and 2200 power amp.
Has anyone compared the Bluesound to anything from Linn or Naim? Basically what's the sound quality of the Bluesound units?

Robs has it, a Chromecast audio is an excellent little gadget you can control from your phone: even at a very basic level for example - with the Beebs iPlayer Radio app, it's a great way to fed 'radio' into your system at a generally-rather-better quality than you'll ever get off FM (and certainly not for £30...) More than good enough to test if streaming is a thing you want to pursue further.

Has anyone compared the Bluesound to anything from Linn or Naim? Basically what's the sound quality of the Bluesound units?

I have owned all of Naim's Classic Series streamers (ND5 XS, NDX and NDS), most of its hard disk players (HDX, NS01) and all of the last generation Uniti all-in-one systems (Uniti 2, SuperUniti etc). I have heard most of the Linn DS and DSM models. The Bluesound Node 2 and Vault 2 sound basically the same. The difference is in the feature set. The Vault 2 is essentially a Node 2 with storage and a CD transport built into the case. The Bluesound models are superb value, but neither of them is going to compete with the best Naim or Linn streamers. They are nicely put together with an attractive soft touch finish, but the cases are moulded plastic rather than CNC machined aluminium. Their respective price points necessitate some cost cutting internally too. Nevertheless, in terms of sound quality, they would not be embarrassed in the company of the ND5 XS.

Where they really shine is in their software. The app is easy to use, supports a wide range of different platforms and is extremely robust. They support a wide range of streaming services, way more than Naim or Linn, and their multi-room support is first rate. Bluesound streamers can also accept an analogue or digital input and then stream it to another Bluesound unit in another room. So you can use the analogue sources from your main system with a Bluesound Pulse wireless speaker in your kitchen, for example.

Try something cheap (perhaps the Chromcast although I have never tried it myself) to start with since you might find like I have that it is easier to continue with old habits and play the CDs, LPs and cassettes...

I only use the Moon Mind180 streaming thing when I want to program background music for an evening when we have people round for dinner.

Go with the chromecast as a first step, it’s cheap, easy, no need for a computer and you can try Spotify/Tidal on a months free trial to see if you get on with it

The Bluesound Vault II is looking very promising. I currently own an Linn Akurate CD player, Exotik pre amp and 2200 power amp.
The SQ or the bluesound stuff is very good indeed. The Naim streamers are even better, but at multiple times the cost of a Bluesound.
The vault2 is really for if you want to archive your cd’s as well as streaming, as it has its own 2tb internal hd.
The powernode2 is ideal if you want to use existing speakers with a one box solution, as it’s a streamer & amp combined.
The Node2 is a streamer which connects into your existing Hifi amp to access the streaming world.
Using Tidal or qobuz, the Bluesound stuff can play hi res music, which eg Sonos can’t.
The app still isn’t as good as the Sonos one, but it’s better than a fair few others.
In short, unless your budget stretches to the likes of Naim, the Bluesound stuff takes a lot of beating.

I was unsure about the Bluesound app initially but now I love it.

I have a Vault2 and a Powernode. They both work well. Sound quality is superb v cost.

My wife can work them. That is really saying something.

I have owned all of Naim's Classic Series streamers (ND5 XS, NDX and NDS), most of its hard disk players (HDX, NS01) and all of the last generation Uniti all-in-one systems (Uniti 2, SuperUniti etc). I have heard most of the Linn DS and DSM models. The Bluesound Node 2 and Vault 2 sound basically the same. The difference is in the feature set. The Vault 2 is essentially a Node 2 with storage and a CD transport built into the case. The Bluesound models are superb value, but neither of them is going to compete with the best Naim or Linn streamers. They are nicely put together with an attractive soft touch finish, but the cases are moulded plastic rather than CNC machined aluminium. Their respective price points necessitate some cost cutting internally too. Nevertheless, in terms of sound quality, they would not be embarrassed in the company of the ND5 XS.

Where they really shine is in their software. The app is easy to use, supports a wide range of different platforms and is extremely robust. They support a wide range of streaming services, way more than Naim or Linn, and their multi-room support is first rate. Bluesound streamers can also accept an analogue or digital input and then stream it to another Bluesound unit in another room. So you can use the analogue sources from your main system with a Bluesound Pulse wireless speaker in your kitchen, for example.

The SQ or the bluesound stuff is very good indeed. The Naim streamers are even better, but at multiple times the cost of a Bluesound.
The vault2 is really for if you want to archive your cd’s as well as streaming, as it has its own 2tb internal hd.
The powernode2 is ideal if you want to use existing speakers with a one box solution, as it’s a streamer & amp combined.
The Node2 is a streamer which connects into your existing Hifi amp to access the streaming world.
Using Tidal or qobuz, the Bluesound stuff can play hi res music, which eg Sonos can’t.
The app still isn’t as good as the Sonos one, but it’s better than a fair few others.
In short, unless your budget stretches to the likes of Naim, the Bluesound stuff takes a lot of beating.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Very, very intriguing.
I was very anti streaming but since I heard The Naim Nova my head has most definitely been turned.
I think a few demos will be in order soon.

advertisement

Back