advertisement

Streaming all set up. Now my next headache. Advice appreciated.

I am assuming you are capable of checking the links on the web page. If you disagree with them, I would like to hear why.

As outlined you pointed out they were well grounded concerns hence I asked you to explain why.But surprise surprise you are back asking me to go off and do the leg work:rolleyes:

No claims or links were made by me I just suggested he could try Jplay as it was a free trial also.

Your statement about Jplay only being an add on is not correct. Jplay was well established when Jriver went with the hoax thing. Personally I think it backfired.

As outlined you pointed out they were well grounded concerns hence I asked you to explain why.But surprise surprise you are back asking me to go off and do the leg work:rolleyes:

Indeed. Let me know which ones you disagree with, and why.

Your statement about Jplay only being an add on is not correct. Jplay was well established when Jriver went with the hoax thing. Personally I think it backfired.

Jplay was well established - as an add-on to Jriver.

Julf and Tonerei and itemaudio and avole ... why not just help the o/p get his music together instead of shagging yet another thread with the same old same old arguments.. just for once..

VLC plays pretty well any A/V file, including FLAC.
It doesn't have much in the way of search or screen-candy but it is free.
If I am ever concerned about a file I just try it with VLC!

OTOH if you do have the DAC Vital links to you won't be able to play high res files with it directly using the USB input whatever software you have.

Julf and Tonerei and itemaudio and avole ... why not just help the o/p get his music together instead of shagging yet another thread with the same old same old arguments.. just for once..

No chance. The poor guy will be down the route to madness before soon.

Last chance. Mess with Foobar first it's fine. Just use a basic system and you will have a great system. Flac, alac wav, aiff and alac should sound the same.

jPlayer is the completely free and open source (MIT) media library written in JavaScript. A jQuery plugin, (and now a Zepto plugin,) plugin plugin

source http://jplayer.org/

5th June 2013
jQuery Audio & Video player plugin

Warning: A security vulnerability in the Flash SWF enabled Cross Site Scripting (XSS)

That has been a warning since 2010

Clever though the use of HTML5 may be I prefer a purpose designed executable for several reasons.

Why are you so keen to promote jplay? The player with Warning: A security vulnerability in the Flash SWF enabled Cross Site Scripting (XSS) as a regular feature.

dBpoweramp is excellent for ripping, and very much worth the money IMO.
JRiver is superb for playing back and organising your music, and also very much worth the money IMO. It will do a good job of ripping, just not quite as fast or as pernickety as DBp.

JRiver give you free updates of the current version. Every year or so there's a new release which you can take if you want and you get it about half price.

If you only buy one thing, I'd go for JRiver and use it to rip CDs you already have losslessly. Plenty people here will tell you the settings you need. Get a few dozen cds ripped, get into listening, and sort your problems out one by one.

Be careful about downloads - many sites charge a fortune for copies of forty year old analogue master tapes.

Spot on advice DBpoweramp, Jriver plus JRemote £7 for Ipad or Gismo (free) for android remote control.

And I'll repeat the advice I gave early on in your other thread - Sonos will do a lot of this with so much less hassle. You still need to rip your CDs (DBPoweramp is easiest/best for this), but the playback side of things is just a pleasant experience compared to battling Windows.

Doesn't do hires of course, but as has been discussed here, that's a bit of a minefield, and of dubious benefit. CD quality via Sonos is honestly made for you, and I mean that in the friendliest way. :)

My computer with Dbpoweramp sounds much better than my Sonos, using the same DBpoweramp ripped files. Also the Ipad Jremote does not drop out as with the sonos app.

My computer with Dbpoweramp sounds much better than my Sonos, using the same DBpoweramp ripped files.

Having actually tested Sonos directly against over £4000 worth of Mac mini, Auralic Vega and fancy cables, in carefully volume matched blind and sighted tests, I personally doubt that very much.

Also the Ipad Jremote does not drop out as with the sonos app.

Not sure what you mean by drop out, but pretty solid in my experience.

Hey, why put me in there? Can I not praise someone for a kind act?

If this is your DAC:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A2QL42A/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Note that it doesn't support hires over USB.

It's not, and it (the 01, not the 10) does.

@ Kenny - TeamViewer is a great idea: give me a bell on Monday and we'll set it up. I'll get in there and make it work for you.

@ EveryoneElse: carry on the usual sniping: we'll get on with making music. But JPlay is not a hoax. Much though I love the JRiver boys (in fact, we're resellers), that just sounds like sour grapes - after all, JPlay is 3x more expensive than JRiver, and that's having a laugh.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Sorry Andy not meaning to pollute any thread but check back I just suggested op try Jplay also. Jplay mini is very simple and as the op has set up remote control he might want to try that also. See Julf's reply which is the usual fear stuff. Stupidly responded and hey presto being asked to find fault with hoax links provided by julpy.;)

There is nothing wrong with Jplay or Jriver or Foobar etc.

The little 01 and 03 are very impressive for the money: proper 24/192 over async USB for less than/around £100. Only the iBasso d7 is in the same ballpark. Not sure about that quoted 140dB SNR, though . . .

Sorry Andy not meaning to pollute any thread but check back I just suggested op try Jplay also. Jplay mini is very simple and as the op has set up remote control he might want to try that also. See Julf's reply which is the usual fear stuff. Stupidly responded and hey presto being asked to find fault with hoax links provided by julpy.

Just give it a rest, eh? Turn it off.

jPlayer is the completely free and open source (MIT) media library written in JavaScript. A jQuery plugin, (and now a Zepto plugin,) plugin plugin

source http://jplayer.org/

5th June 2013

Warning: A security vulnerability in the Flash SWF enabled Cross Site Scripting (XSS)

That has been a warning since 2010

Clever though the use of HTML5 may be I prefer a purpose designed executable for several reasons.

Why are you so keen to promote jplay? The player with Warning: A security vulnerability in the Flash SWF enabled Cross Site Scripting (XSS) as a regular feature.

Apologies confusion on my part tween jplay and jplayer. Avoid jplayer if you feel the urge

Having actually tested Sonos directly against over £4000 worth of Mac mini, Auralic Vega and fancy cables, in carefully volume matched blind and sighted tests, I personally doubt that very much.

Not sure what you mean by drop out, but pretty solid in my experience.

I am glad to hear this news and have will another play with it.
The drop out was between the bridge and the ipad.
Having said that i do believe with software improvements and the falling price of solid hard drives and memory computers are the way to go.

Colin, thanks for a measured response to my rather grumpy post :)

Again, still not quite sure what sort of drop-outs you're experiencing, but I don't have a Bridge in my setup (the two ZP80s (now "Connects") I have are connected via Ethernet).

I am glad to hear this news and have will another play with it.
The drop out was between the bridge and the ipad.
Having said that i do believe with software improvements and the falling price of solid hard drives and memory computers are the way to go.
Having just purchased a Sonos Connect it sounds just as good as my MBP/JR19 playing the same files through the same dac, as for dropouts I have not had any over wireless and the user interface is brilliant.

advertisement

Back