advertisement

Streamer vs cd player

Streamer all the way!

In terms of sound quality I’m a firm believer that a CD, an online stream, USB stick or a local hard drive are all interchangeable digital transport media. There can be no way that bits should sound different depending on the way they are delivered to your playback device. That different playback devices (CD, streamer) might sound different, yeah that can be the case. But different CD players can also sound different to each other - it the playback device, not the data file that causes the difference.

I’m still using the Logitech Media Server (LMS) as my streaming platform. I like the way it integrates local music, streaming services, internet radio and a wide variety of supported playback devices (such as Airplay and uPnP). Although Logitech stopped the Squeezebox devices, they still have somebody maintaining LMS, and with it being open source now the functionality has only increased. It is a very good (and free!) alternative to Roon in my view.

No way I’m going back to CD’s!

And no way am I going to invest in CD's either. There could be significant improvements in sound quality using CD over streaming - this has been a debate for some time - so on the strength of the review of the Audiolab dedicated CDT I am taking the opportunity to find out for myself if there is much in it or not.

If the CDT sounds much better then I will know where I stand.

This doesn't mean I'm going to invest in CD's if I find the CDT is much better - it just means I am going to try and match the CDT with a streaming tweak or solution of some kind. Basically,

it allows me to find out for myself.

Yes streaming is far more convenient.

I do know that streaming is capable of superb sounds - because regrettably I heard a dCS Rossini Apex yesterday streaming Qobuz - totally gobsmacked!

All streamers sound the same. All DAC's sound the same. Haven't you been told this many times?

One of the things I like about the Zen Mini is that if I have a bit of time, or can’t make my mind up, I can just select a playlist & shuffle.

I really feel it opens up your music collection.

As you should know I have a Bluesound node 2i . Before I used to listen cd´s, but now I am questioning myself if I should ditch the cd format and use only the streamer. Of course I´m not giving up my cd´s, just thinking not buy anymore cd´s and use instead the streaming solution.What you think ? I guess is useless buy cd´s if I can listen it on Spotify or Tidal.

I have digital music available on two separate and distinct platforms, both considered to be in the high-end strata.
- REGA ISIS VALVE cdp/DAC,
- BRYSTON BDP1-USB digital media player/digital streamer/music server, mated with its stablemate BRYSTON BDA2 DAC.

without prejudice to the differences (pro and con) of sourcing your tunes alternatively:
(A) super-easy playback in physical silver CD disk format, (red-book or XRCD) played through the CD player/DAC,
(B) downloaded online digital album purchases or ripped CD’s now stored in a hard drive played through the external digital music player/streamer/server and DAC combo;
(B) sourcing tunes online via direct streaming by the digital music playe/streamer from either free sites (MP3), OR FROM HDmusic databases with 3rd party providers for a monthly subscription fee

IN MY DIRECT EXPERIENCES:

- the REGA ISIS VALVE cdp/dac has a different sonic signature than the BRYSTON pair , for both its direct cd playback option , and also via its USB port music server playback capabilities for stored media on external hard drives.

The ISIS comes in two versions … the more expensive valve (tubes) version with it’s “ more analogue” delivery is another factor in its sonic variance,

- The BRYSTONs PAIR operate as both a stored music server option as well as a digital music online streamer option.

WHICH IS BETTER… OR, RE-PHRASED TO SAY WHICH DO I LIKE BETTER?

That is a value judgement that personifies the audio mantra of “ it depends”.
The REGA ISIS VALVE cdp has a very high-end internal DAC limited to standard 16/44 CD playback format. Whereas the BRYSTON DACis variable up to 24/192 with upsampling available.

MY TAKE:

Just thinking that 24/192K Uber-hi-rez will automatically reign supreme is an illusion at best in my direct experiences.
- It MAY comparatively best the same tune in a 16/44 format …BUT .,,,AND ITS A BIG “BUT” ,,,, A well recorded and mastered CD , especially XRCD played on my REGA through its DAC IN 15/44 cd format can and frequently will best the BRYSTON in high-rez,

-Just because it is called “hi-rez” up to 24/192 and played through my BRYSTON pair is NO assurance of “better” ….
IN MY SYSTEM ( emphasis added ) the REGA internal DAC in CD 16/44 format playback can - and frequently does - best the same higher-rez tune played in the BRYSTON stack .

it initially surprised me until I empirically compared them in full. Then it became clearer and with no more surprises in that the REGA VALVE is a refined and hefty 52-lb beast that costs almost 2 1/2 times the price of the BRYSTON stack pair. You get what you pay for, Since audio gear options are all built to their price points, their comparison in audio performances capabilities can usually follow in lockstep.
(NOTE: I just upgraded the 4 tubes to NOS MULLARDS. The upgrade was expensive but worth it and not subtle)

TAKEAWAY

- ALTERNATE HI-rez DAC numbers substantively mean nothing In isolation. DAC build and quality matters in audio performance.
- CD players can still thrive and excel … Physical format via CD silver disc still has its valued place in a manner more than just EZ plunk-in playback capabilities
- I see no reason for the Royal “we” to sacrifice CD for alternative digital playback. They are COMPLIMENTARY CHOICES and NOT BINARY ALTERNATIVE CHOICES.

Get a good streamer that works extremely well out the box and most will soon forget all about CD's.
The only advantage I can see that cd's have is that you own the music, but then you can own the music if you want and download it

There’s so little difference.
Not the ‘night and day’ that some talk about and for every plus there seems to be an advantage. You have to pay an awful lot of money for a little difference, or perhaps improvement, depending on the sound profile that you prefer. It’s the same for cables IMO. If you’re unlucky, you’ll pay too much for something that makes the sound worse for you. You have to decide on the sound profile you prefer before messing around.That’s what I’ve learned, the hard way!
Also,level matching is an obvious ‘do’ when listening for differences as outputs can vary and this can sometimes be mistaken for improvement.
Wish I’d known this when I first started.

Yup digital is done, moving your listening position will have a far greater effect unless you choose something with audible distortion.
Speakers are still different and looking at the speaker/room interaction can deliver real gains.
Keith

Get a good streamer that works extremely well out the box and most will soon forget all about CD's.
The only advantage I can see that cd's have is that you own the music, but then you can own the music if you want and download it

What about if you already own hundreds or thousands of CD's? What would be the point of a Streamer then. I have numerous customers who have huge numbers of albums, both on CD, Vinyl and both. Most have the best recordings of certain pieces of music and are not in the least bit interested in Streaming music, seeing as they already own their recordings. If you do Stream, you had just better hope that companies like Qobuz and Tidal remain in business. Having said that I can see the point of having a music server...

There’s so little difference.
Not the ‘night and day’ that some talk about and for every plus there seems to be an advantage. You have to pay an awful lot of money for a little difference, or perhaps improvement, depending on the sound profile that you prefer. It’s the same for cables IMO. If you’re unlucky, you’ll pay too much for something that makes the sound worse for you. You have to decide on the sound profile you prefer before messing around.That’s what I’ve learned, the hard way!
Also,level matching is an obvious ‘do’ when listening for differences as outputs can vary and this can sometimes be mistaken for improvement.
Wish I’d known this when I first started.
When you mention level matching..could explain what this actually means?

Having said that I can see the point of having a music server..
That's why I went the Innuos route.
To have all my CD's ripped and in one place with superb sound quality is great and being able to subscribe to the likes of Qobuz with the slightest loss of sq compared to local files is the icicng on the cake.

Well...after the fourth post? The blathering started in earnest! At least with Keith he doesn't blather!
I'll keep on trusting my ears and let the arm chair experts finger wag at eachother! Thanks for your help del...

That's why I went the Innuos route.
To have all my CD's ripped and in one place with superb sound quality is great and being able to subscribe to the likes of Qobuz with the slightest loss of sq compared to local files is the icicng on the cake.
Ripping your cds sounds better than your cd player? Are you listening to Qobuz in hi res or cd quality? Oh..I haven't introduced myself? I have 'golden ears ' many of us do but many won't admit this for fear of forum castigation! The fearless tread where others just dawdle...

advertisement

Back