advertisement

Streamer (or more) with RJ45 socket: budget and/or mid-price recommendations?

TheFlash

Reiki Audio
Yes, I know, one man's mid-price is another's "how much!?" so interpret as you see fit.

As well as doing all the electrical tests you'd expect, I give every one of my devices a run into my home hifi system as a final check, not for sound quality, just feels like a sensible last step before shipping. I'll shortly be taking on a bigger workshop in which I could accommodate a modest system which would allow me to enjoy music while I work and do this final test there rather than shipping everything home.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for (1) a budget way of doing this, perhaps disregarding sound quality, and (2) a pricier way which makes a nice sound too. Could be a streamer, a streamer/DAC, or a streamer/DAC/amp/dishwasher...

Your thoughts please!

Budget is going to be a Raspberry Pi and your choice of software. Stick a nice DAC hat on it for a mid price option. Audiophonics do some kits with nicer casework:

you need a wiim mini, or if you need an amp as well, the wiim amp.

for some more money, better software, easy setup, the bluesound node, or power node.

both have rj-45 input, analog output.

Bluesound POWERNODE, a smaller space needing less watts then the POWERNODE EDGE, both with the Bluesound RC1 remote for quick access to volume / mute and a bunch of presets.

Pi running moode with a digital hat or usb into DAC of your choice Gives you Spotify and airplay playback, too.

More money will get you a snappier UI, I doubt it will get you better sound.

Feels like a Wiim to me, should of course have thought of that! After a decades-long career in IT, I’m not sure I feel the Pi calling though I 100% appreciate why others do.

Thanks all

Feels like a Wiim to me, should of course have thought of that! After a decades-long career in IT, I’m not sure I feel the Pi calling though I 100% appreciate why others do.

Thanks all
It can't be that bad. The Holo Red (below), the Pro-Ject Box S2 and the Stack Link have a Raspberry Pi inside.

7LTqARB.jpg

Thanks all
The thing is factor in a say pi4 or pi5, audio board of some kind, powersupply, memory card and case, and you could nearly get two standard wiims.

My only concern with wiim is like any other manufacturer of hifi, if they get bored of it, we are high and dry. That being said at these price points, I nearly don't care. £300 for a 60 watt amp with built in streaming, but also really good. Amazing stuff.

The thing is factor in a say pi4 or pi5, audio board of some kind, powersupply, memory card and case, and you could nearly get two standard wiims.

My only concern with wiim is like any other manufacturer of hifi, if they get bored of it, we are high and dry. That being said at these price points, I nearly don't care. £300 for a 60 watt amp with built in streaming, but also really good. Amazing stuff.
Affordability is important but not as important as ease of use. I want plug and play (ok, with configurability) like every other piece of hifi I’ve bought. I’m simply not interested in building a unit from memory card, board, power supply etc right now.
I do get the ongoing support concern, but consider this as something of a stopgap/stepping stone so can take the risk. If it was my own listening-for-pleasure system I would be more concerned, though like you I consider the financial risk acceptable in the grand scheme of things.

Affordability is important but not as important as ease of use.
Have used a Bluesound Node for a couple of years, and it is plug and play. Also have a wiim pro plus that I haven’t used yet, but it is also plug and play as I understand it. Wiim pro is surely budget, and not sure where the Node falls.

If a build in amp is needed, the Wiim amp seems really hard to beat.

More upscale, I would be looking at Eversolo or Node X.

advertisement

Back