advertisement

Streamer options that can be operated on-device/from the front panel

I have ordered a Wiim Pro .The Squeezebox/server combo sounds really good so have been keen to persist with it.I would not be surprised if the Wiim does not sound as good.The other problem with the Wiim it does not have USB out and I have an excellent USB only DAC.
The Wiim Pro Plus has a nice internal Dac. It is fuller sounding than the Touch internal Dac. I never really submitted to the USB sounds better on the Touch. Good opportunity to change the Dac then.

The Wiim Pro Plus has a nice internal Dac. It is fuller sounding than the Touch internal Dac. I never really submitted to the USB sounds better on the Touch. Good opportunity to change the Dac then.
I have a back up with optical and coax inputs-an old Accuphase DC61 that sounds very good too.Yet to find anything modern as good as that and my Krell KAV300CD converted into a USB DAC. Both use PCM 1702 DAC chips [12 of them the Accuphase].

Thx for your replies, and the suggestions.

Re Aurender, "Playlists may be selected and played using the four buttons on the right side of the front panel display. Use the Previous (9) and Next (11) buttons to scroll between playlists. Use the Play/Pause (10) button to select a playlist. After the playlist is selected, press the Play/Pause button again to start playback."

No mentioning of internet radio or browsing albums (either local or from a streaming service).

My two other requirements are:
  • needs to have swappable internal sotrage
  • should also be controllable via computer (i.e. not just via smartphone/tablet)
That narrows it down quite a bit; re the second point I understand that iPad apps these days also run on Macs with apple silicon, at least Aurender's Conductor app, as per this post:

(also confirmed on the app store)

Cambridge CXN. A bit warmer sounding than the Eversolos, which are a touch bright and clinical to my ears (helps greatly with brighter recordings.) A new model is just out so there might still be bargains around on the V2. It's a cracking piece of kit at this money.

Agreed, I went from Cambridge to Eversolo and missed the warmth of the Wolfson dacs. The Eversolo I found cold too

Agreed, I went from Cambridge to Eversolo and missed the warmth of the Wolfson dacs. The Eversolo I found cold too
Similar here, bought a bunch of DACs to mess with over lockdown, preferred Cambridge Wolfson to Topping D90/SMSL/Matrix. The Matrix Sabre Pro was the only one I might have gone with but in the end it was the Cambridge that stayed.

Similar here, bought a bunch of DACs to mess with over lockdown, preferred Cambridge Wolfson to Topping D90/SMSL/Matrix. The Matrix Sabre Pro was the only one I might have gone with but in the end it was the Cambridge that stayed.
The only thing that put me off re buying another Cambridge was it’s flimsy build so ended up with Lumin in the end with Wolfson dacs too

Last edited:
Well other than when it just worked directly on the Squeezebox Touch it always has been glitchy .Usually when somebody comes for a listen! And that can normally only be resolved by unplugging everythng from my Linux based server and re plugging it.Just shutting down the server and turning it back on usually does not fix it.Sometimmes I also have to disconnect the power from the Squeezebox too.Very often I can play off hard drives attached to the server via the Squeezebox but Tidal will either not respond or acts like it is playing but without audio output.Then sometimes you can leave it for a day or two and everything will work again!I have several friends who stopped using Squeezebox because of similar issues.
Not my experience at all. LMS is very solid.

Sometimes my Touch cuts out intermittently, always been solved by cycling my Wi-Fi-router (something to do with auto-channel selection maybe?) Other than that it's reliable with local and Qobuz streaming.

PS: Material Skin interface for smart phones is really great. Just add /material to the usual URL.

Last edited:
I borrowed a topping D90 to try.Anybody who heard it thought it sounded terrible compared to my old Accuphase and Krell-dry,flat,harsh treble,mechanical,sterile.So much for the best measuring DAC ever.ASR are clearly measuring the wrong things.

advertisement

Back