advertisement

Streamer options that can be operated on-device/from the front panel

vln

Shuns mooks. And MQA.
Probably a bit of a weird question - are there any streamers that can be operated (at least to some extent) via their front panels, in addition to tablets, smartphones or computers?

I.e. selecting and playing albums from your streaming service, selecting playlists, selecting internet radio stations, etc. by just navigating with the buttons on the device?

Bonus points if they can be upgraded with a built in HDD.

Thinking about a streaming solution that is compatible with digital detoxing, i.e. locking away all your internet capable devices for a while to regain some sanity.

Oh, and before anyone asks, yes I already have a turntable. :)

Aurender offers some functionality on the front panel and via remote. Their A200 is worth a look; this model also allows SSDs to be fitted, if desired.

Thinking about a streaming solution that is compatible with digital detoxing, i.e. locking away all your internet capable devices for a while to regain some sanity.
It’s for this reason I’m thinking of having a CD player again - in the second system. A 100 CDs in plastic sleeves take up no space at all. No phone/internet required.

Not an answer to your question, I know, but I understand your motivation.

All current Bluesound hardware does have hardware controls, some have presets but for ease of operation there is the Bluesound RC1 remote control that allows you to set presets, literally a single press and you favourite music is playing.

There's the new Volumio motivo,

They are very glitchy nowadays as most software support has been withdrawn.Mine used to run fine on Tidal but now refuses.
That’s untrue. The limited web server has now closed as it was expected to but the local media server continues to develop under the new name of Lyrion. Just put it on a Pi and Bob’s your Uncle, as they say.

They are very glitchy nowadays as most software support has been withdrawn.Mine used to run fine on Tidal but now refuses.

Tidal stopped because mysquuezebox was ceased and it was an app on that. Pretty sure there is now a Tidal plugin for LMS and LMS is still being developed and supported with updates and patches etc.

I don't think I've ever had a major issue with LMS and my SBT and it's been working for 15 yrs

As some one who uses both Squeezebox Touch and Logitech Transport and has been using LMS for over fifteen years this statement is just not correct . Mysqueezebox.com has closed but if you have LMS running on either a Raspberry Pi , PC , Mac , Andoid phone , or NAS then it works as it always has and any services such as Tidal and Deezer which were lost with the closure has new plugins within two weeks and are all working fine . LMS will become Lyrion and has new versions which are updated nightly . The service and software and support are all free and They continue to offer updates when change such as BBC closing iPlayer for radio and moving to BBC Sounds which is now a plugin .

Cambridge CXN. A bit warmer sounding than the Eversolos, which are a touch bright and clinical to my ears (helps greatly with brighter recordings.) A new model is just out so there might still be bargains around on the V2. It's a cracking piece of kit at this money.

Tidal stopped because mysquuezebox was ceased and it was an app on that. Pretty sure there is now a Tidal plugin for LMS and LMS is still being developed and supported with updates and patches etc.

I don't think I've ever had a major issue with LMS and my SBT and it's been working for 15 yrs
Well other than when it just worked directly on the Squeezebox Touch it always has been glitchy .Usually when somebody comes for a listen! And that can normally only be resolved by unplugging everythng from my Linux based server and re plugging it.Just shutting down the server and turning it back on usually does not fix it.Sometimmes I also have to disconnect the power from the Squeezebox too.Very often I can play off hard drives attached to the server via the Squeezebox but Tidal will either not respond or acts like it is playing but without audio output.Then sometimes you can leave it for a day or two and everything will work again!I have several friends who stopped using Squeezebox because of similar issues.

Well other than when it just worked directly on the Squeezebox Touch it always has been glitchy .Usually when somebody comes for a listen! And that can normally only be resolved by unplugging everythng from my Linux based server and re plugging it.Just shutting down the server and turning it back on usually does not fix it.Sometimmes I also have to disconnect the power from the Squeezebox too.Very often I can play off hard drives attached to the server via the Squeezebox but Tidal will either not respond or acts like it is playing but without audio output.Then sometimes you can leave it for a day or two and everything will work again!I have several friends who stopped using Squeezebox because of similar issues.
Probably a system, network issue. I don‘t recognise this description from my own long use of the Squeezebox System. I now use my WiiM Pro Plus with this server. When the new screened Wiim comes it should be an excellent emulator.

Probably a system, network issue. I don‘t recognise this description from my own long use of the Squeezebox System. I now use my WiiM Pro Plus with this server. When the new screened Wiim comes it should be an excellent emulator.
I have ordered a Wiim Pro .The Squeezebox/server combo sounds really good so have been keen to persist with it.I would not be surprised if the Wiim does not sound as good.The other problem with the Wiim it does not have USB out and I have an excellent USB only DAC.

advertisement

Back