advertisement

Streamer for internet radio (6Music)

Benga

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a streamer to listing to radio, specifically 6Music. What I'd ideally like is to have a button that I can program, that when pressed will connect and play the preset station.

I *think* that its possible to program the preset button on a Wimm Pro, or the touch panel on a Bluesound Node to do this, but when I last looked it was all up in the air with the BBC changing the streams. Did that get worked out?

Anyone got any experience with this? Any recommendations?

We're currently using airplay/bluetooth and its a pain when whoever is streaming pops out the house and its stops, or an iPad that we have to plug in to the DAC in my amp to get high-res lossless out of Apple Music.

Maybe it's my AirPlay adaptor, but doesn't sound great. I guess if I pick up a wiim mini or pro that would solve the issue either way.

I appreciate using the iPad is the obvious answer :) But I would also ideally like something that doesn't rely on the iPad being available if you want the radio on.

I don’t really know much about streamers, but would buying a second iPad (possibly second hand) be cheaper and give you more options in use?

We have a Muso QB and you can do exactly that - 5 presets on the touch controller wheel on the top can be assigned for immediate station selection.

That said, we also have a Roberts Internet Radio which does the same thing with physical buttons but at a much lower price.

I have been a Rasp Pi/LMS fan for a while but the other week purchased a used Wiim Pro - took me less than five minutes to set up.
Easy to add presets via the Wiim app - either for use in the app or from the front panel - mine came with a remote - so I use those six presets on the remote - CBC 1 & 2 as I am in Canada. Preset 3 currently for Radio Paradise. Preset 4 for BBC Radio 4, Preset 6 for BBC Radio 6.....You get the drift. Now if only I could figure out a Preset for that day's episode of "The Archers". Just kidding.

The Wiim can also be "seen" by my Picore/LMS as a Squeezebox player and also Chromecast and Airplay. What's not to like for the price ?

Thanks @Operajulian - exactly the info I was after. I'll be going shopping then! :)

I've been reading up on PiCore, that might be another hifi hole to fall down :p:eek: I like the idea of BBC sounds via LMS, and its an excuse to buy a Pi at last.

BBC sounds via LMS
Definitely a bonus if you use LMS. The alternative is BBC Sounds on a mobile device to Chromecast either through a Chromecast Audio (if you can pick one up) or a device with built in Chromecast.

Definitely a bonus if you use LMS. The alternative is BBC Sounds on a mobile device to Chromecast either through a Chromecast Audio (if you can pick one up) or a device with built in Chromecast.

CCA requres the phone to be in the house. And IME it's rather dated and buggy. I've recently bought Wiim Mini and it's so much better than CCA - and also the phone can now leave home and music stays on...

There's no remote but you can turn it on and off and it will remember that it played 6 music last.

I have been a Rasp Pi/LMS fan for a while but the other week purchased a used Wiim Pro - took me less than five minutes to set up.
Easy to add presets via the Wiim app - either for use in the app or from the front panel - mine came with a remote - so I use those six presets on the remote - CBC 1 & 2 as I am in Canada. Preset 3 currently for Radio Paradise. Preset 4 for BBC Radio 4, Preset 6 for BBC Radio 6.....You get the drift. Now if only I could figure out a Preset for that day's episode of "The Archers". Just kidding.

The Wiim can also be "seen" by my Picore/LMS as a Squeezebox player and also Chromecast and Airplay. What's not to like for the price ?
I was thinking about trying out a WiiM streamer. However, BBC streams are as essential to me as to the OP and I couldn't see any support for BBC Sounds on the WiiM site. May I assume you are entering a URL somewhere else in the WiiM pro app, or have I got this wrong?

I note that BBC are currently rolling out access changes to their streams. This required LMS's BBC Sounds app to have an update to handle a new security token. Regarding these changes, BBC's announcement to third parties contains:

"After the current changes have been implemented the following will apply:

a) Native playback of BBC radio within web and mobile aggregator streaming apps will no longer be possible, however audiences will be able to access all BBC audio content on the BBC Sounds mobile and web applications. There may be instances of BBC radio being accessed via aggregator apps, but playback of the radio streams will take place with the BBC Sounds product, as per the existing Radioplayer mobile app solution.

b) Where audiences are using internet radio/connected devices that do not have BBC Sounds available we are working with third parties to minimise disruption to audiences. We will endeavour to maintain existing integrations of BBC radio streams where they are made available as part of a device’s native internet radio solution where that is compatible with our UK Public Service Distribution Policy conditions, and;

c) Directories and software solutions that enable individual users to directly access streams to add their connected devices will not be supported. This is for a range of reasons related to the BBC’s obligations under the BBC Distribution Policy, including ensuring our streams are not used in non-compliant ways."

I wonder if the forthcoming absense of native playback as in point "a)" might matter now or in the near future for WiiM streamers and the OP's requirement, as per points "b)" and "c)".

I was thinking about trying out a WiiM streamer. However, BBC streams are as essential to me as to the OP and I couldn't see any support for BBC Sounds on the WiiM site...
I don't understand half of your post, but I can tell you that - ATM - on Wiim Mini there are all sorts of BBC streams readily available. Must be at least 20 of them.

I don't understand half of your post, but I can tell you that - ATM - on Wiim Mini there are all sorts of BBC streams readily available. Must be at least 20 of them.
Thanks. Does the Radio 2 stream work? That stream seems to have been updated very recently to the new security model (according to the BBC Sounds update page in my first URL). If Radio 2 still works then I think the OP may be able to use the WiiM for his purpose and I may try one.

I can confirm that Radio 2 still works on the Sounds app on LMS. A few months ago they removed their streams from my favourite radio app on my phone (Radioplayer), and last week the BBC Sounds iOS app I was using on my Macbook Pro stopped working.

It's massively annoying that the BBC are restricting access to their stations. Mostly because the native BBC Sounds app is so sh*te. I can't even save my favourite live stations as 'presets' - functionality that has been available in solid state radio's for decades. Also, it seems that they are so desperate to be the 'Spotify of BBC content' and force listeners to engage with suggested content rather allowing easy access to what users actually want to listen to, that if feels like they are taking a wrecking ball to everything that makes BBC content so unique. Grrrr.....

Anyway! As of now, the BBC Sounds plugin on LMS/picoreplayer works very well! You can save any station as a favourite for easy access, and if you decide to use a Squeezebox Touch as a front end to the system, you can have 6music resume on start.

Also, for anyone interested, there are still iOS apps out there that have access to BBC streams, I'm using 'Radioline HQ'.

FWIW the Ruark streaming radios allow you to allocate BBC Internet radio stations to the preset buttons on their remotes. I currently have Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4 and Radio 6 allocated thusly. Where I live (Pennine valley in W. Yorkshire) there's only very poor access to FM or DAB stations so internet radio is essential.

It also works for Korean metal, bizarrely enough. The result sounds like Def Leppard doing a cover of Killing in the Name.

Thanks. Does the Radio 2 stream work? That stream seems to have been updated very recently to the new security model (according to the BBC Sounds update page in my first URL). If Radio 2 still works then I think the OP may be able to use the WiiM for his purpose and I may try one.

I can cofirm that at this moment stream of BBC Radio 2 works on Wiim Mini, as does BBC Radio 1, 3, 4, 5 live, 6 Music, 4 Extra and more...

(And it (Wiim Mini) probably also does Alexa.)

Yup if you link the Wiim via the Wiim app to your Amazon account in Devices it can respond to voice commands.
It can use an Echo etc around the house to activate the Wiim.
If you have a remote there is a button on that you can press then speak - there is a mic and you don't even have to start the sentence with "Alexa".

Though I have not tried that just yet. Might have to play around with that for fun.

advertisement

Back