advertisement

Streamer Advice for DAC

@pidge22 I see you are from Nottingham so you are very near to me (10 miles ish depending on which part of Nottingham) and you are very welcome to come and hear my Antipodes Oladra streamer. I started lowly with streamers but then came to the conclusion that they are a large part of the success of the total system sound.

I would suggest you not only listen to the Nagra dac, but also a Vivaldi Apex (you don't need an upsampler if you have a separate streamer), Lampizator and Playback Designs if you can get to hear in the uk.

Streamers by Antipodes, Aurender and Innuos spring to mind.

Listening to too many will only confuse your issue.

Do Nagra have particular expertise in DACs? My fear is it is a bit of a vellum product.

DCS, Chord seem to have a better track record. What does the OP not like about the Linn streamer/Dac?

What is the rest of the system like? Must be very elevated? I don’t think the old source first edict holds in the digital era. I’d certainly ensure that speakers were maxed out first.

Do Nagra have particular expertise in DACs? My fear is it is a bit of a vellum product.

DCS, Chord seem to have a better track record. What does the OP not like about the Linn streamer/Dac?

What is the rest of the system like? Must be very elevated? I don’t think the old source first edict holds in the digital era. I’d certainly ensure that speakers were maxed out first.
Rest of system is Tron Seven Linestage GT spec,Klimax Solo Monoblocks,Tannoy Buckinghams with Tannoy Supertweeters & Custom made Townshend Podiums.Analogue AG Sable Garrard 401 ,SME M212R,Ortofon a95 SPU,SMD slate ref plinth ,Loricraft PSU & Tron Seven Ultinate spec phonostage.The only way to go would be Linn Klimax DSM Organik and I think the Organik thing has been overhyped and wouldn’t go with the onboard DVC…..

Rest of system is Tron Seven Linestage GT spec,Klimax Solo Monoblocks,Tannoy Buckinghams with Tannoy Supertweeters & Custom made Townshend Podiums.Analogue AG Sable Garrard 401 ,SME M212R,Ortofon a95 SPU,SMD slate ref plinth ,Loricraft PSU & Tron Seven Ultinate spec phonostage.The only way to go would be Linn Klimax DSM Organik and I think the Organik thing has been overhyped and wouldn’t go with the onboard DVC…..
Lots of stuff I’m not familiar with but Tron gear has an excellent reputation. I’d definitely try active speakers &/or the upper end Linn gear as the power amps will provide a good deal of the sound you are hearing.

Anyway, a very nice problem to have.

Lots of stuff I’m not familiar with but Tron gear has an excellent reputation. I’d definitely try active speakers &/or the upper end Linn gear as the power amps will provide a good deal of the sound you are hearing.

Anyway, a very nice problem to have.
The only problem is the Klimax 350a use Akurate level power amps which is why I have always stayed passive as you say the Solo's are quality I have had them for 9 years & never had the urge to change them..

With that much to spend I’d be wanting to hear lots of different kit including what Lotus has to offer.
Wadax. 😂

Listening to too many only confuses. Narrow your choices down to two or three and then go for it. I don't think you would go far wrong in picking three of the suggestions above ( especially mine ;) )

There are loads of approaches to system building. I’m really not into lots of boxes & like simplicity. Personally I’d go full high end digital into active speakers. I still have a record collection but rarely spin it.

I do like the Linn DSM approach theoretically whether it’s any ‘better’ than a something like a Benchmark DAC & an Innuos type front end remind to be seen.

Top of the line Aurender
Id say any aurender from the N100 upwards as you want one that is still supported via updates etc avoid the x100l and ones older than 2016. ive owned a few streamers and the aurender is a lot better than others ive used or owned, Aurenders also have decent software unlike many others.

FWIW, I have recently changed both digital front ends in my two systems.

Main system

Was : iFi Audio ZEN Stream feeding a Benchmark DAC2HGC digitally.
Now : Linn Klimax DS Renew, feeding the Benchmark's analogue input.

Office system

Was : MacMini M2 feeding a Denafrips Ares II.
Now : Linn Klimax DS/0 Renew.

So, in answer to @Woodface 's question...

whether it’s any ‘better’ than a something like a Benchmark DAC & an Innuos type front end

...I can answer that it only took me 2 days after getting the first Linn Klimax DS/0 Renew to decide to buy the second one.

I couldn't have such a disparity between the systems for long... SO much better.

All IMHO of course (although I did put my money where my mouth is :) )

Chris

FWIW, I have recently changed both digital front ends in my two systems.

Main system

Was : iFi Audio ZEN Stream feeding a Benchmark DAC2HGC digitally.
Now : Linn Klimax DS Renew, feeding the Benchmark's analogue input.

Office system

Was : MacMini M2 feeding a Denafrips Ares II.
Now : Linn Klimax DS/0 Renew.

So, in answer to @Woodface 's question...

...I can answer that it only took me 2 days after getting the first Linn Klimax DS/0 Renew to decide to buy the second one.

I couldn't have such a disparity between the systems for long... SO much better.

All IMHO of course (although I did put my money where my mouth is :) )

Chris
That’s really interesting. The idea of a DSM system straight into Actives with TT plugged into its phono stage is very appealing. I do like the Innuos front end though along with the storage etc.

That’s really interesting. The idea of a DSM system straight into Actives with TT plugged into its phono stage is very appealing. I do like the Innuos front end though along with the storage etc.

I'm using Roon as a front end with a QNAP NAS fitted with SSDs as storage, tucked away in a cupboard, with all the ethernet being hard wired.

The benefit (for me) is that all the computers in the house can also backup to the QNAP NAS and it also streams videos via Plex to any device in the house.

Lots of functionality for the outlay :)

I'm using Roon as a front end with a QNAP NAS fitted with SSDs as storage, tucked away in a cupboard, with all the ethernet being hard wired.

The benefit (for me) is that all the computers in the house can also backup to the QNAP NAS and it also streams videos via Plex to any device in the house.

Lots of functionality for the outlay :)
I barely understood any of that;)

Just back from my neighbour - LP12 into DSM both current spec into ATC 40 active. Very neat system, looked really nice with everything in a similar shade of light woods.

Have to admit was impressed with it compared to the passive speakers I’ve heard in his room - Linn/Naim amps into various floorstanders - B&W, SF, Shahinian, Spendor. Good soundstage and a real grip on the lower end. He was kind enough to indulge me with some Prefab Sprout.

Just back from my neighbour - LP12 into DSM both current spec into ATC 40 active. Very neat system, looked really nice with everything in a similar shade of light woods.

Have to admit was impressed with it compared to the passive speakers I’ve heard in his room - Linn/Naim amps into various floorstanders - B&W, SF, Shahinian, Spendor. Good soundstage and a real grip on the lower end. He was kind enough to indulge me with some Prefab Sprout.
I already have the ATC40As & LP12. Am so impressed with my speakers, I currently have an ATC CDA2 which is a very neat two box set up. Replaced an upper end naim set up.

IMHO it all works really well with any genre. My previous set up was more fussy.

I already have the ATC40As & LP12. Am so impressed with my speakers, I currently have an ATC CDA2 which is a very neat two box set up. Replaced an upper end naim set up.

IMHO it all works really well with any genre. My previous set up was more fussy.
Might be worth trying a home demo of a DSM, sound great and are very flexible, be interesting to try out the Space Optimisation eq system with your ATCs.

Might be worth trying a home demo of a DSM, sound great and are very flexible, be interesting to try out the Space Optimisation eq system with your ATCs.
Yeah, it’s just thoughts currently. I’ll probably upgrade to 50s first but I am a bit of prevaricator.

advertisement

Back