advertisement

Streamer Advice for DAC

pidge22

pfm Member
After 17 years of owning many Linn DS's I am now considering taking off the comfy slippers & going down a different route with a Nagra Dac.I haven't bought a CD for seventeen years so a CD transport is out of question & whilst I have had several hundred CD's stored on a NAS my listening is nearly all through Qobuz Studio.
So i need some recommendations for a good streamer that will allow me to stream Qobuz Studio,play radio & play stored files from my NAS.
I need something that is reasonably priced but is capable of streaming to such a hi end DAC as a Nagra,it doesn't need to do anything else other than act as a network bridge & can be controlled via an App
Any suggestions would be welcome..

What digital inputs does your DAC have, and which might you use?
1x AES/EBU, 2x S/PDIF, 2x NAGRA-LINK, 1x Optical, 1x Audio USB (UCA2) & suspect I would only use the USB...its a Nagra HD X Dac i am looking at purchasing...

Oh, I thought you already had the DAC. Anyway it looks like you won't be limited in your choice of streamer by its output. Recently I tried a Bricasti M5 which was very good but more than I was really looking to spend. I bought a Lumin U2 Mini which I think is very good and gives me a lot of scope for experimenting with upsampling and using it's Leedh digital processing volume control. It has replaced a Metrum Ambre which too was very good but was basically just a Roon endpoint. I'm sure there will soon be many more recommendations on their way. I use AES/EBU.

1x AES/EBU, 2x S/PDIF, 2x NAGRA-LINK, 1x Optical, 1x Audio USB (UCA2) & suspect I would only use the USB...its a Nagra HD X Dac i am looking at purchasing...
You wedded to the Nagra rather than a combined Streamer + DAC?

The Nagra is £64K? - how much are you thinking of spending on the Transport?

I’d look at connecting using AES or S/PDIF, not a fan of USB.

Auralic Aries series G1 or G2 or G3
Lumin U series U1 - U2mini - U1X
Pi2AES
Allo Digione Signature - optional power supplies. I went with a tricked metal case version, this is a real vfm streamer but untidy with all the boxes and cables.

After 17 years of owning many Linn DS's I am now considering taking off the comfy slippers & going down a different route with a Nagra Dac.I haven't bought a CD for seventeen years so a CD transport is out of question & whilst I have had several hundred CD's stored on a NAS my listening is nearly all through Qobuz Studio.
So i need some recommendations for a good streamer that will allow me to stream Qobuz Studio,play radio & play stored files from my NAS.
I need something that is reasonably priced but is capable of streaming to such a hi end DAC as a Nagra,it doesn't need to do anything else other than act as a network bridge & can be controlled via an App
Any suggestions would be welcome..
Sorry if I’ve missed it but, for avoidance of doubt and all that, which DAC are you using today and which streamer are you using today? I’m unfamiliar with the Linn DS and it may be both!

I presume you've heard the Niagra you mention and compared it with other DACs in that price range. What streamer was used in your demo, if any?

@pidge22 assuming your seriousness about the Nagra HD X Dac then I can only suggest that you visit some dealers and spend a few hours listening to some streamers prior to arranging a 2 or 3 week home demo. For that standard of DAC then I would suggest that perhaps something like the Antipodes Oladra ought to be on your list (and which I have) although there others that I have heard in my system that you might like such as the Innuos Statement or Antipodes K50. And of course such a trial will let you try a variety of digital connection although for obvious reasons (I manufacture them) I favour spdif.

Finally you will need to try out the software that comes with each streamer, especially with the Antipodes range which come preloaded with a variety of software options so you can select the one that suits your needs. I personally go for out and out sound quality which means that some of them are off my list such as Roon and I now use Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite Player with either the JPLAY control app or the free Material Skin web based controller.

Solid advice given so far, @pidge22 .

If you're able, I would also schedule an audition of a Lumin P1 or (preferably) X1, and a Meitner MA-3. Tidy streamer + DAC options that are also Roon compatible (if that matters to you).

Sorry if I’ve missed it but, for avoidance of doubt and all that, which DAC are you using today and which streamer are you using today? I’m unfamiliar with the Linn DS and it may be both!

I presume you've heard the Niagra you mention and compared it with other DACs in that price range. What streamer was used in your demo, if any?
Currently have a Linn Klimax Ds/1 streamer/dac and as stated have had a Linn Ds for a number of years so have never had to worry about streamers hence the question...have not had a demo of the Nagra but have read enough reviews (incl user) to give it a try & if its not for me (though I hope it will be) then can always return..

Currently have a Linn Klimax Ds/1 streamer/dac and as stated have had a Linn Ds for a number of years so have never had to worry about streamers hence the question...have not had a demo of the Nagra but have read enough reviews (incl user) to give it a try & if its not for me (though I hope it will be) then can always return..
Thanks. I'm not sure you "can always return" something like Nagra HD X DAC, I think the retailer would expect (demand?) a degree of due diligence before they handed it over.

I've just had a look online at the back panel of a DS/1 and it does not seem to have a digital output which means you either take the streamer and DAC as a whole or look elsewhere. Bizarre. I was going to suggest you use, initially at least, your existing streamer into any demo DAC but it doesn't look like this is possible.

Re streamer: my own vote for a streamer, based on personal experience (as I guess most recommendations are), would be for something in the Innuos range: Pulse family if you don't need NAS-style storage, Zen family if you do. The Sense app is excellent and even at sub-Statement levels sound quality is excellent.

Re DAC: I'm a dCS fanboy and for Nagra HD X money you are in dCS territory. You really do owe it to yourself and your bank balance to do your listening homework here.

Report back!

Thanks. I'm not sure you "can always return" something like Nagra HD X DAC, I think the retailer would expect (demand?) a degree of due diligence before they handed it over.

I've just had a look online at the back panel of a DS/1 and it does not seem to have a digital output which means you either take the streamer and DAC as a whole or look elsewhere. Bizarre. I was going to suggest you use, initially at least, your existing streamer into any demo DAC but it doesn't look like this is possible.

Re streamer: my own vote for a streamer, based on personal experience (as I guess most recommendations are), would be for something in the Innuos range: Pulse family if you don't need NAS-style storage, Zen family if you do. The Sense app is excellent and even at sub-Statement levels sound quality is excellent.

Re DAC: I'm a dCS fanboy and for Nagra HD X money you are in dCS territory. You really do owe it to yourself and your bank balance to do your listening homework here.

Report back!
Thanks for the reply that was my first thought to use the Klimax Ds/1 as the streamer but as you quite rightly state there is no digital out....I did consider the DCS Vivaldi Apex One but dont need a CD Transport & have read that for the Vivaldi Apex DAC you need the Vivaldi Upsampler as well...will look at the Innuos..

Thanks for the reply that was my first thought to use the Klimax Ds/1 as the streamer but as you quite rightly state there is no digital out....I did consider the DCS Vivaldi Apex One but dont need a CD Transport & have read that for the Vivaldi Apex DAC you need the Vivaldi Upsampler as well...will look at the Innuos..
The dCS equivalent of the Nagra HD X DAC (assuming it is only a DAC) would more likely be the dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC at £38,500 here in the UK. That's a legend of a DAC at a little over half the price of the proposed Nagra. Just saying!

You really need the Vivaldi Upsampler and Vivaldi DAC Apex pairing to make the most of a dCS rig, the Clock is usually added to the stack too. With your budget I’d want a demo of a few things and take plenty of time deciding.

The Linn Selekt DSM not appeal?

I moved from an Auralic multi box stack to dCS, the other option I seriously considered at the time was MSB.

That's a considerable sum to drop on a DAC, and a streaming solution to do it justice would necessarily require significant levels of expenditure, and possibly give you cause to look at the rest of your system...
As mentioned above, this level of investment gives you some other very attractive options - DCS for one, but speaking personally I would have a look at the Aqua Formula XHD and accompanying Aqua Linq - I am a massive fan of Aqua kit (I have the La Scala II optologic) and I don't think there's such a direct correlation between cost and performance once you move past a certain point....

On the other hand, I really like the idea of a Wiim Pro feeding a £60k Nagra 👍

That's a considerable sum to drop on a DAC, and a streaming solution to do it justice would necessarily require significant levels of expenditure, and possibly give you cause to look at the rest of your system...
As mentioned above, this level of investment gives you some other very attractive options - DCS for one, but speaking personally I would have a look at the Aqua Formula XHD and accompanying Aqua Linq - I am a massive fan of Aqua kit (I have the La Scala II optologic) and I don't think there's such a direct correlation between cost and performance once you move past a certain point....

On the other hand, I really like the idea of a Wiim Pro feeding a £60k Nagra 👍
You are right I need to have I have a system that is worthy of the addition of a Nagra HD X Dac & I think it will fit in nicely with the rest of my system & I have always beolieved that the source should be the best part of any system ....I think it will either be the Nagra or DCS though I am bit put off by the stack thing as a pose to the two boxes of the Nagra ....just need to find the best streamer within a modest budget but that is worthy of the Nagra's company ...

You really need the Vivaldi Upsampler and Vivaldi DAC Apex pairing to make the most of a dCS rig, the Clock is usually added to the stack too. With your budget I’d want a demo of a few things and take plenty of time deciding.

The Linn Selekt DSM not appeal?

I moved from an Auralic multi box stack to dCS, the other option I seriously considered at the time was MSB.

Good call. The dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Apex DAC together have RRP of £66,000 if my arithmetic is good; with Nagra HD X listing at £64,000 and dCS's reputation in this field, that seems like a good argument to at least compare these two.

Re streamers to go with the chosen DAC, I'd personally keep it cheap-ish and simple to start with and focus my attention on tuning into and getting the most out of my new DAC before experimenting with morer spendy options: the Innuos Statement (again with storage you might not need, Oladra and Antipodes are amongst many competing for sizeable chunks of your cash but in my experience the DAC makes far more difference to sound quality so demands your (almost) undivided attention first.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

Good call. The dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Apex DAC together have RRP of £66,000 if my arithmetic is good; with Nagra HD X listing at £64,000 and dCS's reputation in this field, that seems like a good argument to at least compare these two.

Re streamers to go with the chosen DAC, I'd personally keep it cheap-ish and simple to start with and focus my attention on tuning into and getting the most out of my new DAC before experimenting with morer spendy options: the Innuos Statement (again with storage you might not need, Oladra and Antipodes are amongst many competing for sizeable chunks of your cash but in my experience the DAC makes far more difference to sound quality so demands your (almost) undivided attention first.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.
Gooa advice re the streamer & that is what i will probably do....as you say understand the DAC first then a better streamer at a later stage

advertisement

Back