advertisement

Stillpoints under LP12

jy3

pfm Member
Has anybody tried Stillpoints under their LP12? I have a Trampolin 2 base and have just tried using 4 still points under the corners of my LP12 and had a slight preference for the Stillpoints although price would be approx. 800GBP. Any pinkfishers using anything else under their Lp12s which they would recommend

I have found that in my situation which is on a custom perspex table, on a solid (slate on soil) floor, the best base for the LP12 is hard rubber feet, and no baseboard at all. I've tried the Trampolin (mk 1) base several times over the years, but always felt it took more away than it added. Make sure suspension setup is spot on before making any comparisons, as errors there can confuse the experiments.

I never liked the Trampolin and the idea of adding another suspension to the mix and thought my deck sounded better without it. I discovered the benefits of using Symposium products a few years ago and recently started using a Segue shelf under my LP12. In order to get the benefit of the shelf I used a solid Linn baseboard and fashioned four brass cones for the feet.

The idea is to drain vibrations out of the LP12 and sink them into the Segue. The Segue also helps prevent vibrations from below the shelf from getting to the LP12. Very pleased with the results.

AmCSgJ.jpg

zaws.jpg

7300.jpg

The idea is to drain vibrations out of the LP12 and sink them into the Segue. The Segue also helps prevent vibrations from below the shelf from getting to the LP12. Very pleased with the results.
This possibly links in to some experiments a friend and I did listening to the effect of different turntable tables using headphones. This cut out any issues of feedback, or vibration getting in to the TT, but we still heard differences, so it must be the way vibrations from the TT are damped, absorbed, transmitted. I see all of this as a design fault in the TT, it should deal with these problems itself. Like selling a car without tyres.

By the way, what is the amazing wallpaper???

This possibly links in to some experiments a friend and I did listening to the effect of different turntable tables using headphones. This cut out any issues of feedback, or vibration getting in to the TT, but we still heard differences, so it must be the way vibrations from the TT are damped, absorbed, transmitted. I see all of this as a design fault in the TT, it should deal with these problems itself. Like selling a car without tyres.

By the way, what is the amazing wallpaper???

Interesting experiment with the headphones. I used brass feet with a solid metal baseboard because they transmit vibrations much better than materials like rubber.

That's a leather rug hanging on the wall behind the LP12.

That's a leather rug hanging on the wall behind the LP12.

Does it have a sonic benefit, or just look funky?

I worry about any baseboard on the LP12 as they all seem like resonators to me. Our kids are old enough not to poke their fingers inside, and the low profile rubber feet keep the gap too small for fingers anyway.

Does it have a sonic benefit, or just look funky?

I worry about any baseboard on the LP12 as they all seem like resonators to me. Our kids are old enough not to poke their fingers inside, and the low profile rubber feet keep the gap too small for fingers anyway.

I imagine the rug has some effect, I never experimented with it much. It's some twenty feet from the speakers and fifteen feet from where I listen from.

I used small bumpon feet in the corner of the plinth with no baseboard for 14 years before changing over to this new arrangement several months ago. The metal baseboard is attached to the plinth with 10 screws.

Thanks for your replies especially the photos, I will now have to check out the Segue base but I guess your idea is the same as that of Vertex which incidentally I use under a Densen cd player to great effect.

My LP12 plinth (no base) is currently sitting on 3 Nordost Sort Kones on a solid ply wall shelf (masonry wall). I *think* it sounds better like that than just sat on the standard feet on the shelf but couldn't swear to it. (though I'm crap at determining small differences - I can only tell you it sounds great to me at the moment)

I also tried plinth on bumpon feet on 10mm float glass on Sort Kones...Quite liked that but Nordost reckoned TT straight onto Kones would probably be better. Float glass was only £20 from glazier, so worth a try...

Agree on baseboard comment above - whilst it will stiffen up the plinth it seems like you're making your LP12 into an acoustic guitar!

Yeah, I tried the original Stillpoints under my LP12 which has a Urika, so can't get around the Trampolin even if I wanted to. The Stillpoints brought some plus points but took something away, too. So I decided to put the LP12 onto a 10mm peice of glass which sits on top of the Stillpoints, which sit on a 10mm glass Stands Unique wall shelf. Sounds very good.

The Trampolinn may not be ideal, but what pleads for it is that it takes the weight off the plinth. I had my LP12 on 4 rubber 3M/Mana thingies for quite a while, but in hindsight the plinth must have resonated like mad. With a Trampolinn in place the sound is a lot cleaner, if perhaps less rock 'n' roll. Stillpoints sound like a very expensive version of the 3M rubbers.

advertisement

Back