advertisement

... still playing DVDs

Err, yes on boot up you do/ did get the anti piracy crap. once that’s done play movie.. Are you playing with us...:)

I get blurays and dvd’s from my local library. They have thousands of movies and tv series available and they keep up with new releases as well. I like that you can keep them for three weeks and they automatically renew if no one else has it in hold. I play through a projector and 5.1 sound system and appreciate the better quality image and sound over streaming. I bing watched Game of Thrones this winter and during that time was able to compare dvd vs Blu-ray vs streaming the same content on HBO now. There is a noticeable difference.

I've never seen a movie with director commentary, or any kind of bonus item (interview, cast profile, special effects feature) on any streaming service. Maybe this is where the demand lies, in the special editions?

Not on streaming services as such, but some films purchased via iTunes do. I’ve purchased a whole four films from iTunes in the years I’ve had an Apple TV and at least two start up with a menu similar to those on DVDs.

There are loads of TV programmes that are not available online by fair means or foul, but can be had for peanuts on DVD. I recently stumped up for Henry Normal's 'Last Word Monologues' and Rob Brydon and Julia Davis's 'Human Remains'.

I gave up on DVDs when we started getting the compulsory anti-piracy lectures at the beginning. If I've just bought it, why the flip should I have to be forced to waste my time?

Can you imagine them getting away with doing that on CDs (without pictures obvs)?

I'm waiting for all of the original films to be reissued on 180 g vinyl ...

Didn't Videodisc use 180g?

laserdisc_02.jpg

I gave up on DVDs when we started getting the compulsory anti-piracy lectures at the beginning. If I've just bought it, why the flip should I have to be forced to waste my time?

Put disc in machine, go to kitchen for tea/coffe/juice/crisps/popcorn, and by the time you come back, movie is ready to go, surely?

If playing two discs, get more refreshments or do the washing-up as the second disc loads.

No different from adverts on the TV.

That's why I rarely watch commercial TV live and normally PVR interesting programs, if there are any. Or documentaries on BBC which have obviously been made for commercial TV, with constant summaries and repetitions.

Put disc in machine, go to kitchen for tea/coffe/juice/crisps/popcorn, and by the time you come back, movie is ready to go, surely?

If playing two discs, get more refreshments or do the washing-up as the second disc loads.

No different from adverts on the TV.
By the time one sets up the dvd copying process the film is ready to go! :)

(joke)

I have super fast fibre and I use Apple TV (little black box), and have Amazon Prime as well as Sky Box Sets, but I still buy, on average, about three Blu-ray DVDs per month off Amazon. I watch movies from all these sources, plus Blu-ray discs. I like to buy physical DVDs as, more often than not, I'll watch them more than once as the years roll on.

They're bloody cheap too. Last week I got The Last Jedi for a fiver, and that came with a life sized cardboard Storm Trooper (I was a cheeky sod and asked if I could have it when they were finished with it).

Not quite sure where it's going to live, but you don't get to scrounge stuff like this from Netflix ...

a03aec9d343e46bb9904b2b901f100de17fdc416.JPG

advertisement

Back