advertisement

Stiffness of cartridge cantilever

Rexton

Wakefield Turntables
Guys,

I'm having a little trouble trying to determine the unit measure for stiffness, I'm assessing the merits of Sapphire and ruby cantilevers. I'd like the stiffest cantilever, I have four options diamond, ruby, sapphire and boron. Diamond is obviously the stiffest but where do the other sit?

Any ideas, or prods in the right direction would be most welcome.

It will depend on dimensions, cross-sectional shape and the form that the material takes - fibres etc. It will also near certainly be frequency dependant.

You do not mean stylii as in thread title?

You also need to factor-in weight, e.g. sapphire and ruby are heavy and tend to end up only being usable if kept very short (think Dynavector Ruby, DV17 etc). Beryllium is interesting too, e.g. OC9, AT150MLX etc.

JICO SAS cantilevers
StE Young's Modulus
....ρ Density ... C=√E/ρ Sound Speed.... Mohs Hardness
Boron 656 2.41 16, 200 9.3
Diamond 1,050 3.5 18,000 10
Aluminum 68 2.69 6,320 2.7
Sapphire 470 3.97 11,180 9
Ruby 372 4.00 11,180 9
Zirconia 200 6.05 4,650 6

Thanks! That's great.

Why?

That is also a massive over-simplification.

Take a rod, circular in cross-section, or one unit diameter. Compare to a square section rod, same length, of the same material that is 0.886 units across each face of the square (same cross-sectional area as the round), they will have very, very different mechanical properties. Same applies to oval section.

You are also forgetting length, and physical stucture. For instance, what the hifi indsctry habitually refers to as sapphire is NOT - it is poly-crystalline alumina (sapphire is just aluminium oxide - alumina). Single crystal alumina is light years different to PCA.

You are looking at less than 10% of the whole story. The figures quoted are just ball park and/or refer to particular structures etc.

Why?

That is also a massive over-simplification.

Take a rod, circular in cross-section, or one unit diameter. Compare to a square section rod, same length, of the same material that is 0.886 units across each face of the square (same cross-sectional area as the round), they will have very, very different mechanical properties. Same applies to oval section.

You are also forgetting length, and physical stucture. For instance, what the hifi indsctry habitually refers to as sapphire is NOT - it is poly-crystalline alumina (sapphire is just aluminium oxide - alumina). Single crystal alumina is light years different to PCA.

You are looking at less than 10% of the whole story. The figures quoted are just ball park and/or refer to particular structures etc.

Hi Vinny,

Yep, I'm not really that bothered about over complicating the subject. I'm far too long in the tooth to even worry about 0.1% of the variables you've mentioned (no disrespect). I'm quite happy making my own informed choice, paying my money, and they evaluating the outcome.

Would be interesting to understand what you're trying to achieve with this research. I'm thinking compliance but there must be other factors. Which m/coil is this destined for?

I’m not trying to achieve anything! It’s just a hunch, something fun for me to think about trying. Again no need to over complicate things!!

Hi Vinny,

Yep, I'm not really that bothered about over complicating the subject. I'm far too long in the tooth to even worry about 0.1% of the variables you've mentioned (no disrespect). I'm quite happy making my own informed choice, paying my money, and they evaluating the outcome.

Then just note that if you don't take the other factors into account that simply knowing the material tells you nothing much! :)

advertisement

Back