advertisement

Steven Wilson - Home Invasion In Concert At The Royal Albert Hall

This is a really good gig, and filmed really well. A must watch if you are a fan.
And if you've never heard of him, the first four songs (~30 mins) will give you a pretty good taster.
Superb musicianship too - @andrew - was it really so note perfect?!

This is a really good gig, and filmed really well. A must watch if you are a fan.
And if you've never heard of him, the first four songs (~30 mins) will give you a pretty good taster.
Superb musicianship too - @andrew - was it really so note perfect?!

It was!

On the evening we went there was an issue with the support, so Steven came out before the main gig and did an entire 'unplugged' solo session, so we got double helpings and it was interesting to see another side of Steven, raconteur and stripped bare.

What the film doesn't catch quite as well, from memory (I need to rewatch) is Stevens character. His music is frequently dark, dealing with the less pleasant elements of life, but his personality isn't like that at all, he's very personable, chatty upbeat and quite unexpected. Some of the film elements which he's done with Jess Cope are stunning too, I have to confess that watching the video to Routine at the show really got to me.

If you're a fan and a gamer, he also composed and played music for the game 'The Last Day of June'. It builds to a pretty emotional end...

Routine always gets me too.

I've got tickets for the gig at the O2. It's not been postponed yet but I suspect it will be.

Must watch this again.

Watched & enjoyed it last night. Excellent stuff, great musicians, superb sound & camera work.
For me, the obvious exception is his “pop song” that he really tries too hard to defend.
I hope his next album doesn’t wander too far down that route.
I do wonder how much was re-recorded in a studio afterwards, to tidy things up a bit, the vocals & musicianship in general was exceptionally clean & on point, maybe a bit too clean? I couldn’t hear any suggestion of auto tune being used.
Nina Tayeb, his co-vocalist on a few tracks has one helluva voice, absolutely superb.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

Watched & enjoyed it last night. Excellent stuff, great musicians, superb sound & camera work.
For me, the obvious exception is his “pop song” that he really tries too hard to defend.
I hope his next album doesn’t wander too far down that route.
I do wonder how much was re-recorded in a studio afterwards, to tidy things up a bit, the vocals & musicianship in general was exceptionally clean & on point, maybe a bit too clean? I couldn’t hear any suggestion of auto tune being used.
Nina Tayeb, his co-vocalist on a few tracks has one helluva voice, absolutely superb.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

I don't believe there's any re-recording, given I was there. They're a phenomenally good bunch of musicians.

I agree on Nina too, she's fantastic.

They're a phenomenally good bunch of musicians.
I agree on Nina too, she's fantastic.
Yep, they can all really play.
Who’d have thought the bassist from kajagoogoo would go on to be a top quality serious player!
Shame that Gavin Harrison is no longer with them though, but Wilson’s loss is the pineapple thief’s gain I guess!

Always been fascinated with the Chapman stick. I’ve only really seen a couple of players use it Beggs & Tony Levin. It can certainly bring an extra dimension to the rhythm section.

Beggs is brilliant, and comfortable playing so many styles. He was a great bass player even back in a Kajagoogoo days.

Love the bassline for Luminol, my hand aches trying to play that.

Thanks for the heads up. I have just watched this and it took me straight back to the gig. It was simply amazing and a great evening out with my teenage daughter.

advertisement

Back