advertisement

Steve Reich

If you can track down a copy of Reach's Earbox that'll be just about all you'll need. Personal faves are 'Tromba Lontana' and 'Christian Zeal & Activity'

Of course it's just dawned on me whilst listening to music for 18 musicians that I recommended a selection from John Adams.

I am officially a cock!

There is also an interesting compilation released by Nonesuch called Reich Remixed which had some interesting approaches by electronica producers to the original material, though mainly through truncated excepts. Mantronix did some interesting stuff with Drumming and Ken Ishii ditto with Come out. Overly reverential in places (Coldcut on 18 - minimal changes in great swathes) but still worth chasing down.

regards,

Giles

The best introduction to Reich is probably the Nonsuch issue of "Different Trains / Electric Counterpoint" or the ECM "Music for 18 Musicians" - both of which should be fairly easy to find on LP. I also have a DG Privilege issue of "Six Pianos" which is another fairly accessible composition.

I'd then check out "4 Organs", "Piano Phase" and something like "Desert Music".

As much as I love his tape loop based pieces "Come Out" and "It's Gonna Rain", I can't recommend them as a start point nor "Drumming" or "Clapping Music". Not until you've discovered some of his other pieves first.

I suspect Reich was one of those people Robert Wyatt had in mind when he said, "First of all, I am a real Minimalist, because I don't do very much. I know some minimalists who call themselves minimalist but they do loads of minimalism. That is cheating. I really don't do very much."

Steve Reich, along with Philip Glass and Terry Riley are musicians that I love in small doses. They perfectly hit a very small spot IMHO.

I only listen to them in the evenings when alone and in a certain, meditative, mood. Then they work a treat. Outside of this evening mind state I can find them irritating and verging on self indulgent, yet when my inner planets align to receive this music it is pure magic.

On the other hand…. I find that Soft Machine, especially the early stuff, can be played and enjoyed any place, any where, any time.

I don't agree with Seeker; Drumming was the best way in for me. Very much depends on your sensibility / sense of time / all sorts of other things.

Agreed, just ordered one myself just to get digital versions for streaming / fill a few gaps. That's certainly where I'd start now.

Steve Reich, along with Philip Glass and Terry Riley are musicians that I love in small doses. They perfectly hit a very small spot IMHO.

I only listen to them in the evenings when alone and in a certain, meditative, mood. Then they work a treat. Outside of this evening mind state I can find them irritating and verging on self indulgent, yet when my inner planets align to receive this music it is pure magic.

On the other hand…. I find that Soft Machine, especially the early stuff, can be played and enjoyed any place, any where, any time.

+1, especially the early Soft Machine Comment.

Chris

Interestingly that's exactly how I feel about jazz. Most music I love to listen to any time, but I have to be in the right state of mind for jazz otherwise it can really annoy me.

Mick

Another +1, but with Terry Riley underlined and Philip Glass deleted.

Riley is hugely underrated due to his complete lack of need to be taken seriously by the music establishment, from what I've seen - he just does his thing as he pleases. More commercial on the CBS albums (including the fantastic and very meditative Shri Camel), for sure.

Glass on the other hand is the Andrew Lloyd Webber of minimalism - going overboard for the critical plaudits and public success, just seems to be a bit of a fake to me. Personal view for which I bear no responsibility.

Glass on the other hand is the Andrew Lloyd Webber of minimalism - going overboard for the critical plaudits and public success, just seems to be a bit of a fake to me. Personal view for which I bear no responsibility.

He has gone that way a bit (prolly less than John Adams though).

I suggest a heavy dose of "Music With Changing Parts" which is very nice and not aimed at any popular response.

+1 also for Riley but I'm not a massive fan of "Shri Camel", it grates too much. I prefer "Poppy Nogood" / "Rainbow in Curved Air" and "Persian Surgery Dervishes" which hit that ecstatic hypnotic groove he excels at.

:eek: Wow, just checked my order from Zoverstocks (UK) via Amazon place Jan 25-
Shipment #1: 1 item - delivery estimate: February 22, 2012 - March 6, 2012

5CD Nonesuch Retrospective arrived today. Listening to it now. Disappointed with zoverstocks shipping. Product is new but was put on in a tight-fitting bubble mailer, so all the corners of the box are dented in and the sides creased.

5CD Nonesuch Retrospective arrived today. Listening to it now. Disappointed with zoverstocks shipping. Product is new but was put on in a tight-fitting bubble mailer, so all the corners of the box are dented in and the sides creased.

The slip-case is really poorly designed as it is over-sized for it's contents, and therefore easily squishable. Mine arrived with a bit of creasing too.

PS- Dan: Ira Glass (This American Life) is a cousin with Philip Glass!
PPS- Dan: What does it sound like, musically (Reich)?

advertisement

Back