advertisement

Steve Hillage - Green

MichaelC

pfm Member
Rather good I say. I treated myself to a replacement copy, on green vinyl course!

I do like this, not as good as Fish Rising, but nonetheless a damn fine record, and to put it in perspective this came out as punk was rising. I'll take this any day.

I really rate Hillage, I have most of it.

Green I'd say is my favourite, had it since its release in my teens which may have some thing to do with it, had the logo drawn on my fave knackered jeans!

It's on next after The Planet Suite, strange combo but at the same time.........

On Headphones as the in-laws are here, rather enjoying listening via cans again.

Glorious Om riff was on that i think. I like this album a lot just don't rate it as high as Hillage's first two. It's a little bit better than motivation radio and much better than Open.

The great Om riff is thunderous. Check out Hillage lately with his Japanese mates:

[YOUTUBE]2R5F3OZO-Z0[/YOUTUBE]

Steve Hillage was the 1st concert I ever went too in 1978, and I went to see him again this year in System 7 with Rovo. Also agree Green is a brilliant album along with Motivation Radio

Still a good listen, and sounds fresh, definitely one of Hillage's high points. I bought this and all his other records in my teens.

I noticed that Fish Rising has been reissued in a recent visit to Fopp, no idea about the remastering though.

mat

I enjoy Green but my favourite is Live Herald (much prefer the live version of Salmon Song on there to the studio version on Fish Rising actually - incredibly trippy sound)

I used to listen to Rainbow Dome quite a bit, must give that another go some time...

Hillage is one of the great British guitarists that gets overlooked IMO..another is Ed Wynne (Ozrics) amazing player and musician and barely gets a mention anywhere....(gallic shrugs)

Agree that his live albums Herald and BBC are both wonderful. Almost all songs are played better live.

Never had vinyl but have Virgin cd's from early 90's and heard some of the remasters. Early virgin cd's sound very good IMHO. Remasters all suffer from dynamic compression. Particularly remastered green is very bassy somewhat nasal sounding.

Watch out for the next Hillage related thread/ I have something in mind which has a connection with another old stalwart of mine...but I must have a listen first but before doing so I am listening to something else which is worthy of a thread.

Stop it, stop it now!

I already have this, and most of Hillage's output, but my wish list keeps growing. I don't have the BBC one so that's now added. Waiting till next week before I can open the Live at the Rockpallast CD/DVD.

I'm reminded of the time I spent the night at Nottingham station, having seen Hillage at the de Montford Hall in Leicester. We got back to Leicester station just as a train was about to pull out. I asked if this one stopped at Lufbra and was told "yes" so we jumped on. It didn't.

Stop it, stop it now!

I already have this, and most of Hillage's output, but my wish list keeps growing. I don't have the BBC one so that's now added. Waiting till next week before I can open the Live at the Rockpallast CD/DVD.

I totally forgot to mention the sound quality of BBC. It sounds even better than all of his studio albums. :D:D:D

advertisement

Back