advertisement

Steve Davis talks us through his record collection

Weirder & weirder. The break off, against the cushion into the pack, & his hand once he finally got a shot in after 'our Steve' got that 127 break. Trains too.. eh? Peculiarer & peculiarer it gets.

Capt

Magma. JesusH. It is sort of tecnically remarkable & does my fkn head in, simultaneously. From where & how it even is constructed (& especially remembered to peform) is quite unfathomable. The drummer kept my interest, for as long as I could take it. As I was expecting weird electronic summink, but got jazzy potty prog instead, my head was even more fried!

Capt

He did an article in a Hi Fi mag regards his musical tastes and his Hi Fi system many years ago.

I did have a copy but long since gone. I can't remember the publication, think it was HiFi Answers.

I remember him having some really good kit which I certainly couldn't afford at the time, I still can't!
Perhaps someone might recall the article in question?

If you can find the BBC4 short doc about him called, iirc, Snookerstar DJ, that might change your mind..

Hi guey, don't have a tv license.. & just the letters D J make me shudder: I cannot abide DJ's, those who 'play their set' to a crowd type (IE rather than the perfectly acceptable Blackburn or Sarah Cox type, who natter in between chosen tracks on the radio). It's this mixing thing.. then proclaiming they're creating music, which I find offensive, pathetic, narcissistic & dumb. Sister Bliss for eg, playing to a huge crowd.. it's intellectually braindead & narcissism combined.

There's another DJ type which I -do- actually appreciate: the Beastie Boys' 3rd member for eg, & those (seemingly a retired breed now) usually black dudes, who -do- (or did) use it creatively by rhythmic scratching.

Believe me, even if I was forced like a Clockwork Orange to watch a doco on a DJ, it would only make me hate them more; 'our Steve', trying to be cool too.. & I'd break my shackles & howl. I think.

Capt

In the 80’s and 90’s he was into soul music, and he supported the Voices from Shadows magazine I believe

Thankfully I've only witnessed a few DJ's "playing their set". But I do remember one who caught my attention. A friend back in my arty north London days. Some big loft gathering, there she was DJ'ing. She had 2 "decks" but didn't mix 2 records, far from it. When she didn't like the song, got bored or played the wrong one, she just abruptly lifted the needle off.. & everyone awkwardly stopped dancing until she plonked another record on, plopped the stylus down, & everyone started dancing again. I must admit, it was very amusing & was just her way & she just just couldn't give a fk :) . Quite in demand she was. Her name was Wendy House, not her 'DJ name' (shudder, no).. that was just her name, or rather what we all called her. She did in fact live in a Wendyhouse too, she put one up in a corner of another big arty loft space, to achieve a modicum of privacy from the few other 'f'arty young hipsters' she was sharing with.

In the article 'our Steve' mentions how he just turned up, & pressed a button, this constituting DJ'ing afaict: further evidence not only of it's ghastliness as a concept, but of how little effort can go in, to be deemed 'an artist'. People actually turned up, to watch, an old person press a button.. then they all dance to 'his set'. It's an unfathomable abomination.

Capt

In the article 'our Steve' mentions how he just turned up, & pressed a button, this constituting DJ'ing afaict: further evidence not only of it's ghastliness as a concept, but of how little effort can go in, to be deemed 'an artist'. People actually turned up, to watch, an old person press a button.. then they all dance to 'his set'. It's an unfathomable abomination.

Capt
Steady on - just turning up and pressing buttons is how this old person manages to keep his wine cellar stocked. I admit nobody wants to watch, though (understandably). They just shut me in a room and turn the heating off. Bastards.

i.php

Haha. But Marchbanks you press -many- buttons, & are creative.. unlike 'our Steve': he admitted he just pressed 'a button' & he's hailed as an 'artist' (by a field of sister-blissed-up-morons, yes, but that's beside the point). Hang the DJ: Moz was right.

Capt

Steady on - just turning up and pressing buttons is how this old person manages to keep his wine cellar stocked. I admit nobody wants to watch, though (understandably). They just shut me in a room and turn the heating off. Bastards.

i.php
🤣

Haha. But Marchbanks you press -many- buttons, & are creative.. unlike 'our Steve': he admitted he just pressed 'a button' & he's hailed as an 'artist' (by a field of sister-blissed-up-morons, yes, but that's beside the point). Hang the DJ: Moz was right.
What can I say. As I posted upthread, I've seen Steve DJ at a couple of events and he was great. It wasn't in a field of morons(!) but in a small experimental music club in London. Other people were doing strange things with synths and old tape machines. Everyone had a nice time and everyone who spoke to him said he was lovely.

Though I'll admit he didn't do much nattering between songs like Tony Blackburn.

What can I say. As I posted upthread, I've seen Steve DJ at a couple of events and he was great.

Though I'll admit he didn't do much nattering between songs like Tony Blackburn.
I think you may have put your finger on the problem here. If Steve - or any other DJs, come to that - really want to break the mould, perhaps they should intersperse their sets with recipes and pop quizzes, or maybe travel reports and a news bulletin on the hour?

Last edited:
Thankfully I've only witnessed a few DJ's "playing their set". But I do remember one who caught my attention. A friend back in my arty north London days. Some big loft gathering, there she was DJ'ing. She had 2 "decks" but didn't mix 2 records, far from it. When she didn't like the song, got bored or played the wrong one, she just abruptly lifted the needle off.. & everyone awkwardly stopped dancing until she plonked another record on, plopped the stylus down, & everyone started dancing again. I must admit, it was very amusing & was just her way & she just just couldn't give a fk :) . Quite in demand she was. Her name was Wendy House, not her 'DJ name' (shudder, no).. that was just her name, or rather what we all called her. She did in fact live in a Wendyhouse too, she put one up in a corner of another big arty loft space, to achieve a modicum of privacy from the few other 'f'arty young hipsters' she was sharing with.

Capt
I've a suspicion you'd have hated my Saurday evening, raving one right out as Sean Johnston DJed for six hours at Phonox.
But, hey, horses for courses.

I've a suspicion you'd have hated my Saurday evening, raving one right out as Sean Johnston DJed for six hours at Phonox.
But, hey, horses for courses.

Hey, some of the actual music.. I might well have liked. I have Orbital for eg, & some 'dancy' electronica.

It's just this turning up, & pressing a button to make someone else's music play. Then in this hideous guise of 'master of ceremonies' person (Fatboy Slim, for eg: omfg) seemingly doing their prime "job" of a simple adjustment of the pitch of song on TT 1, to marry song on TT 2, so the revellers dont go out of step (who gives a fk if they do anyway? Wendy House doesn't & everyone's happy!) between songs. Wow. What skill. All hail him.

And "job" 2 (even more nauseating) is this narcissistic bigging up the crowd thing, like an evangelist in an Alabama Baptist church arms aloft in reverence, usually at the intellectual-highpoint of the song building to a crescendo. Oh ffs gimme strength. It's as mindless & lowest rung intelligent as music has ever got, in 2m years of humanity.

Argh!!!! Machine-gun them ALL. NOW. If Orbital happen to be there too, I don't care if it prevents one more fat bald middleaged coke-fueled DJ Kewl from 'preaching' to their braindead flock.

I rather enjoyed that. Like spieling my brains out to a therapist :)

Moan. Section. Needed. Now.

Capt

..I think 'our Steve' himself alluded to the banality of DJ'ing in the article by admitting he just turned up & pressed a button; he chose to admit the very inherrant proposterousness of it. Why did he go & attend then, one might ask? Erm.. let's think: a retired snooker player's offered £10,000, to choose some records, turn up & press a button.

Therapy session over.

New 'Moan-Therapy' pfm SECTION, to be considered at next pfm agm, & agreed upon.

Capt

advertisement

Back