advertisement

Stepped attenuators

Which is the preferred type of Khozmo? There appear to be shunt, series and ladder types now.
Shunt means you always drop some signal, series means more resistors in the sigbal path for what it is worth, ladder is bigger and costs more but is theoretically the best.

Does anyone have experience of Goldpoint attenuators? I understand they offer only series (rather than ladder or shunt) types. The GPs are physically smaller (even their 47 step versions) than Khozmo, which I suspect won't fit my C-21.

Yup, I had a 24 step smt 10k in my B1. Better feel than the khozmo. Shame they dont make the 46 step in smt, that would be game over short of a massive Shalco frame smt as used in the Lyra pre amp.

...and what would be a good option for a balanced stepped remote controlled attenuator?

Looks like it is now they didnt have 10k in 47 back when I was looking, about ten years ago.

Overall unit is 42 x 45 (52mm inc solder terminals in this dimension) and length of 49mm for the khozmo one I have here... so slightly smaller than my earlier guesstimate:)
That's still a smidgeon too tall for the C-21. The OEM attenuator is 38mm in height, and that is almost flush with the top of the case.

I have ordered a Goldpoint V47-2-100K. They are just under 36mm tall, and so should be an easier fit.

Wow! I thought the C-21 was transparent to begin with, but the Goldpoint takes it to another level. Music sounds more incisive, with better dynamic nuance and weight. I really rate the improvement.

The attentuation curve is different from OEM. I used to listen at no more than 11 o'clock on the original, which now require up to 2 o'clock on the dial. That's not a bad thing, I suppose. We often lament about not enough use of the dial, or hyper-sensitivity when we can't get past 9 o'clock before max volume is reached. In that respect, it is similar to my Densen B-250, which has a 200-step attenuator and I typically listen at 140 or thereabouts.

The only downside is the axle of the Goldpoint isn't as snug as the OEM. It has a bit of play, and the turning torque required is almost feather light. The mechanical aspects don't detract from the audio, so I can live with that.

I'm half tempted to fit a stepped attenuator to my CB NAIT2, but I fear I'd be crucified for the travesty.

The attentuation curve is different from OEM. I used to listen at no more than 11 o'clock on the original, which now require up to 2 o'clock on the dial.
It seems the V47 has the same sized steps (1.5dB) throughout its range, whereas the OEM is tapered thus:

4dB steps in the first quarter turn
3dB steps in the second
2dB steps in the third
1dB in the final

11 o'clock on the OEM is -28dB, which tallies up with 1 o'clock on the V47 for -27dB.

I might stick a Goldpoint v47min my bpbp. The tkd has very good channel matching but it ain't perfect.

advertisement

Back