advertisement

Stephen Hawking RIP, Good night brilliant man.

QP3Jobw.jpg

Joe

What happens when you push that button? Does it reveal a porthole into another dimension?

I see Jim Bowen has also gone.

Two legends in one day. Hard to take.

A great loss.

A friend of mine has been nursing him recently, and was with him at the Nobel peace prize awards and the Oscars. Always odd seeing him with Mr. Hawking in the newspapers. He has been very quiet about it, understandibly so.
R.I.P Stephen Hawking. An amazing man by any standard.

A truly amazing life against all the odds. A world that so desperately needs many more scientists in the public spotlight loses one of the most visible and powerful voices of sanity. RIP.

Stephen Hawking was also deeply concerned about climate change denial and Trump's decision to pull the U.S. out of the Paris Accord.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40461726

"By denying the evidence for climate change, and pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, Donald Trump will cause avoidable environmental damage to our beautiful planet, endangering the natural world, for us and our children," Hawking told the BBC.

Another voice of reason gone while the morons keep bullshitting on.

Joe

Leaving the plaudits for his scientific work to others, I greatly enjoyed his ventures into comedy, especially on The Big Bang Theory;

"Gotta go," sez Hawking - "I promised to help the neighbour kid with his Math homework"

How many of the worthy saying farewell to this great mind can describe any of his theories (present company excepted, obviously)? How many copies of A Brief History Of Time remain unread on bookshelves? Science illiteracy is still prevalent in the UK unfortunately.

Damian

How many of the worthy saying farewell to this great mind can describe any of his theories (present company excepted, obviously)? How many copies of A Brief History Of Time remain unread on bookshelves? Science illiteracy is still prevalent in the UK unfortunately.

Damian

Odd analogy - do you genuinely think that one should be labelled scientifically illiterate if one does not understand the content of a Brief History of Time?

Odd analogy - do you genuinely think that one should be labelled scientifically illiterate if one does not understand the content of a Brief History of Time?
Ok, maybe that was a little harsh of me. But I was making the point that a lot of people jump on the bandwagon without really knowing what they are talking about. Physics is hard, particularly the type of theoretical physics Prof Hawking studied but my point was that it's fairly easy to buy A Brief History..., put it on the shelf as a sign of learning but it's harder to try to make sense of some of the ideas. I suspect most people simply eulogise him without making a little effort to understand why he was a great thinker.

Damian

fairly easy to buy A Brief History..., put it on the shelf as a sign of learning but it's harder to try to make sense of some of the ideas

True, but do you really think people just bought it to display on a shelf. I read it, I understood some of it, I didn't finish it though - I got bored. I am an academic, a scientist but not a physicist....... Funnily I think most who bought it may have started it, but as good as Prof Hawking was at enhancing the public understanding of science, it was after all full of hard stuff, that may not engage some readers.

I suspect most people simply eulogise him without making a little effort to understand why he was a great thinker.

Does that matter?

Personally, what feels line an attempt to politicise a thread celebrating the life of and saying "goodbye" one of the greatest scientists of modern times, saddens me.

advertisement

Back